daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3181
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

A closeup of the concrete pouring operation on the 57 St cam shows workers using a screed to level the freshly poured concrete. What looks like a vibrator to vibrate the concrete to help consolidate the concrete lies on the rebar near the bottom center of the view.

600West218,

That is the vibrator. The vibrator agitates the concrete to help it flow. Too much vibration, however, will cause segragation. A worker uses a power screed float, and another worker uses a manual float, which brings the fines (small particles) to the surface for a smooth finish.

Last edited by marcatio; August 17th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3182
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

This is basically the best thread in the supertall forum. Reminds me of the old TST thread.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #3183
marcatio

On the 57 St. cam closeup, a worker uses a power trowel for the final finish of the slab just poured.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #3184
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
This is basically the best thread in the supertall forum. Reminds me of the old TST thread.
Yup, We have great cams to see the action and a great poster to educate some of us on construction techniques. I would spend all day watching the cam and hanging out on this thread if I could.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3185
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ndo-surge.html
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #3186
marcatio

10:59AM (EST) - It's a dissapointment that the Park Avenue cam is again out of service, as there is truck loading taking place, and the perspective of the jobsite seen from that cam adds other important information about what is taking place at street level. Hopefully that cam will return to service soon. The Hitachi at the lower level is relaying ramp material to the street level machine for removal. As this takes place, and as the ramp makes its dissapearance, soon machines may be leaving the site, which would be interesting to watch via the Park Avenue cam. The 57St. cam also needs refocusing, as the slab was cast this morning, and concrete was placed in forms adjacent to the 56St. perimeter wall, which was out of view because of the misfocused 57St. cam. Again, hopefully that cam also will be refocused.
What looked like conduit adjacent to the large 56St. footing has been covered with crushed stone, and filter fabric. That conduit had been placed yesterday. Workers are seen working in the nook to the east of the slab section just poured, preparing it for application of the waterproofing. This may be concreted next week.

Update: 12: 51PM (EST) - Rebar is being placed at the southwest corner. This area will be concreted next. A small footing is being formed in the nook just east of the last slab section poured. The excavator at the lower level moves ramp material up for removal.

Update: 1:11PM (EST) - I believe what is a template for the base section of the tower crane is now on site, currently resting on the new poured slab. There are also four standoffs, seen just north of the 56th St. footing. These will be embedded within the footing.

Last edited by marcatio; August 17th, 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: addition
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3187
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
Update: 1:11PM (EST) - I believe what is a template for the base section of the tower crane is now on site, currently resting on the new poured slab. There are also four standoffs, seen just north of the 56th St. footing. These will be embedded within the footing.
I don't think it will stay in that location will it?
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #3188
marcatio

600West218,

"I don't think it will stay in that location will it?"

I'm not sure of your question. Do mean the location of the crane on the newly poured slab?? Or the template that is resting there?

The crane will be at the 56 St. footing. The standoffs are placed within, then the template. The standoffs will be embeddded within the concrete footing. The base tower section will be attached here.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #3189
600West218

Quote:
600West218,

"I don't think it will stay in that location will it?"

I'm not sure of your question. Do mean the location of the crane on the newly poured slab?? Or the template that is resting there?

The crane will be at the 56 St. footing. The standoffs are placed within, then the template. The standoffs will be embeddded within the concrete footing. The base tower section will be attached here.
Yeah, I meant at the slab they poured this AM. Makes sense that it goes at the footing you mentioned. So we should be seeing the crane soon, likely next week I would think.
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3190
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61044

It doesn't necessarily mean that a tower crane is imminent. They have to make the footing right now since it can't be done later. But the tower crane can still be erected on a later date if a mobile crane is used for the 1st underground floor(s).
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3191
TedLad

Likes (Received): 0

I cannot understand what the fuss is about this tower. No character what so ever, a very tall box. I have no problem with the design, or the height of the tower, but the two together just don't go.
TedLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:11 PM   #3192
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedLad View Post
I cannot understand what the fuss is about this tower. No character what so ever, a very tall box. I have no problem with the design, or the height of the tower, but the two together just don't go.
Such a ridiculous post. This is your opinion, many people are excited about this tower for obvious reasons as it will be the tallest building in the city. I think that alone explains the fuss as you like to call it.

Nobody cares if you have a problem with it because everyone has their own city And design focus. Also, Most buildings are boxes around the world, so don't act so shocked that a tall box is going up in hyper dense manhattan. Surely you realize why the building is tall, it is obvious, it's location demands it. Also, There is a reason why this building is simple, because views and low key luxury were the driving force behind the marketing plan for this tower and not ostenentatiousness. Zoning laws are strict in ny, and to get a very tal tower on this plot, it would not have been possible to have a more complicated geometry without sacrificing floor space on the upper floors due to FAR rules and setback rules. This would have potentially hindered the ability of the developer to profitably build the project.

Although it echos Bauhaus or similar conservative styles, it's clean lines stand out amongst many dull short ans dumpy boxes from last century. It actually is better looking than most of NYC boxes.

Last edited by aquablue; August 17th, 2012 at 11:27 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:14 PM   #3193
fooddude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

I like this tower. It reminds me of mid-century modern design

Very clean and simple.
fooddude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #3194
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean that a tower crane is imminent. They have to make the footing right now since it can't be done later. But the tower crane can still be erected on a later date if a mobile crane is used for the 1st underground floor(s).
Fair point, by don't they generally use the tower cranes even for floors below street level?
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3195
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

This is very exciting project for Manhatten just simply for its height, if nothing else.
I will reserve judgement for the building's design until I see the cladding.

Since the floor plan is very small, hopefully this will go up quickly. Also, isn't the structure reinforced concrete? Those towers always seem to go up pretty fast. (for example One57)
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #3196
Legomaniac

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martijn1 View Post
It is apples and oranges...you cannot compare. Besides, the NY tower is way taller and cooler in design.
What happened to "you cannot compare"?? you just contradicted youself in a single statement lol. I never said one was better than the other, i just pointed out the similarity.
Legomaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:25 AM   #3197
marcatio

Yes, you can use a tower crane for floors below sidewalk level. Remember, that what is needed is site coverage, to get materials to where needed on site. The tower sections will be erected , and the upperstructure (house, winches and boom) will be high enough as necessary for work below sidewalk level. The tower will then be freestanding until the concrete for floors have reached necessary design strength, then the tower will be braced to the floors per the design from the structural engineers.

When the crane actually appears depends on the construction schedule. The footing is being prepared for its arrival, whenever that is.

The building will be of reinforced concrete construction.

Last edited by marcatio; August 18th, 2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: addition
Old August 18th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #3198
600West218

Quote:
Yes, you can use a tower crane for floors below sidewalk level. Remember, that what is needed is site coverage, to get materials to where needed on site. The tower sections will be erected , and the upperstructure (house, winches and boom) will be high enough as necessary for work below sidewalk level. The tower will then be freestanding until the concrete for floors have reached necessary design strength, then the tower will be braced to the floors per the design from the structural engineers.

When the crane actually appears depends on the construction schedule. The footing is being prepared for its arrival, whenever that is.

The building will be of reinforced concrete construction.
True. I don't know their schedule either. But at the pace they are putting down concrete slab its hard to believe they will have any space for an excavator beyond next week. And once there is at least one full level of concrete you no longer need the excavator (there is no more digging to be done) and you go to a traditional crane. At least that is what I would think
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #3199
marcatio

600West218,

You may be right concerning the use of the excavator beyond next week, but we can't read the contractor's mind, nor are we privy to the schedule. At least the street level excavator will be needed to continue with the digging out of the ramp. This is where I really wish that both the 57 St. and Park Avenue cams were working properly, to get a sense of the overall operation. I myself want to see the final digging and machine removal operations, but with only the 56St. cam working, I can only guess what's going on.

The crane will appear when the contractor is ready to have it appear. Still the crane base footing needs to be poured and cured.
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:06 AM   #3200
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

there is some considerable steel framing incorporated into the lower levels of the superstructure.

I had figured that this was a completely concrete building, but I guess this has something to do with the very narrow profile of the building and its completed height
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall