daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #3221
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Some basics: Concrete is a mixture of cement, water and aggregates. The water/cement/aggregates are mixed in various ratios depending on the strength/ workability/durability required. Aggregates are the crushed stone, gravel, or sand. Other ingredients known as admixtures (such as pozzolan, fly ash, etc.) are added to modify the characteristics of the concrete; an example is air-entrained concrete (creation of tiny pores within the concrete to prevent spalling or cracking due to moisture freezing and expanding within the concrete , when concrete is exposed to weather).

The important characteristic of concrete is that it is strong in compression (pressed together), but weak in tension (pulled apart). This is why steel reinforcing bars (rebar) is required. Steel has great tensile strength; the combination of concrete and steel rebar creates a strong structural component. The placement and location of the rebar within the concrete is important. For example, within a suspended floor slab supported between walls, steel rebar is placed near the bottom of the slab , since the dead load of the slab (weight of the slab itself) plus the live loads (people, furniture, etc.) would cause the slab to bend in the middle. The top of the slab compresses, the bottom wants to stretch. The rebar at the bottom of the slab resists the tensile forces, the concrete itself resists the compression forces. The rebar is placed within the slabs, walls, columns in accordance with the structural drawings. It can come from the mill in straight form, or may bent according to its use in the structure. It can also be field-bent, by crews on site. Rebar is typically designated by number, in one-eighth inch increments. Hence a #5 bar is a 5/8" diameter bar. Bars are typically deformed (has projections on the surface for the concrete to adhere to).

cantstandya liked this post
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #3222
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Thanks for the info

I'd have one question, in bending, how does one determine the exact numbers of stress in each of the three main planes (compressive, tensile, shear)? For example, if I'm standing on a floor slab how do I determine what's the compressive stress on the spot on which I'm standing?
Old August 19th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #3223
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

Man this tower is going to cause a stir when it begins to rise, imagine the looks on the residents oblivious to the development when they see it high in the air!
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3224
chris123678

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Such a ridiculous post. This is your opinion, many people are excited about this tower for obvious reasons as it will be the tallest building in the city. I think that alone explains the fuss as you like to call it.

Nobody cares if you have a problem with it because everyone has their own city And design focus. Also, Most buildings are boxes around the world, so don't act so shocked that a tall box is going up in hyper dense manhattan. Surely you realize why the building is tall, it is obvious, it's location demands it. Also, There is a reason why this building is simple, because views and low key luxury were the driving force behind the marketing plan for this tower and not ostenentatiousness. Zoning laws are strict in ny, and to get a very tal tower on this plot, it would not have been possible to have a more complicated geometry without sacrificing floor space on the upper floors due to FAR rules and setback rules. This would have potentially hindered the ability of the developer to profitably build the project.

Although it echos Bauhaus or similar conservative styles, it's clean lines stand out amongst many dull short ans dumpy boxes from last century. It actually is better looking than most of NYC boxes.

I disagree, for a building that might be the tallest in the city, A better design could have been chosen, it's too thin and I feel it's to tall.
chris123678 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #3225
MontanaGuy

Likes (Received): 49

The problem they have is that the plot of land they're building on is just so small that the basic box design gets the most square footage they can get. I can't say I'm thrilled with it but it may end up looking better than the renders when they actually build it.
MontanaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #3226
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

They are already making solid progress on this site this morning. Looks like they'll be pouring more grade concrete by tomorrow or Wednesday. :-)
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3227
600West218

Happiness is checking the webcam right after lunch and seeing a cement truck pulling up to the site :-)

Edit: They are pouring more concrete into what many of us think will be the base for the crane.

The thing that many thought was the template for the crane seems to be crooked. Is that intentional? Will the crane be mounted not completely perpendicular to the building? I dont' think I've ever seen that before.

Last edited by 600West218; August 20th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3228
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Of course that's intentional. And there is nothing weird about that. A crane can be placed everywhere around the tower, preference goes to a place with lots of space for supplies and movement space for the crane.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #3229
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I disagree, for a building that might be the tallest in the city, A better design could have been chosen, it's too thin and I feel it's to tall.

Tall was chosen obviously to sell the views to high end clients and to take advantage of the expensive plot of land. The design is a box due to the strict zoning laws and the high value of this plot. In order to get usable square footage high up to market views, the buildings shape had to be simple And thin in order to maximize Square footage on this plot of land. So to expect fancy geometry Or a thicker tower in this situation is rather unrealistic given all the factors involved. It is a compromise solution IMO. I think the zoning is just as much to blame here as the developers and architect for not having a better massing. The facade is a different story, but it is a nice change from a curtain wall IMO.

Last edited by aquablue; August 20th, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #3230
chris123678

Quote:
Tall was chosen obviously to sell the views to high end clients and to take advantage of the expensive plot of land. The design is a box due to the strict zoning laws and the high value of this plot. In order to get usable square footage high up to market views, the buildings shape had to be simple And thin in order to maximize Square footage on this plot of land. So to expect fancy geometry Or a thicker tower in this situation is rather unrealistic given all the factors involved. It is a compromise solution IMO. I think the zoning is just as much to blame here as the developers and architect for not having a better massing. The facade is a different story, but it is a nice change from a curtain wall IMO.

Well then, this will be interesting to see rise
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:46 AM   #3231
nyarch21

Likes (Received): 801

Id have to disagree this would be beautiful clad in a curtain. I'm still pretty confused on the cladding in some renderings it looks to have a wall of blue glass and in others it's not. This is a great addition to the skyline but it seems to thin to be safe.
nyarch21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3232
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Marciato, great updates,, when do they plan to start going Taller?
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #3233
Sister Ray
Just like Sister Ray said

Likes (Received): 483

I'm surprised how much ill will there is towards this tower. I think it'll look great. very envious of all the building activity in NYC of late.
Sister Ray no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:33 AM   #3234
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

All of you unhappy guys will start liking it when you see the finished product from 20 miles out on I 95.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:44 AM   #3235
melrocks50
See you on a dark night

Likes (Received): 1503

I think it's alright tbh.
melrocks50 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3236
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61109

Most people just react negative because of to the extreme LQ renders for such a HQ project.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM   #3237
RandomNameTag
Skyscraper fan

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
I'm surprised how much ill will there is towards this tower. I think it'll look great. very envious of all the building activity in NYC of late.
Same here. Outside of NYC, America has only 1 supertall proposal for Los Angeles, 1 for San Fran, and 1 for Miami, and that's it.

Even Chicago doesn't have any serious proposals for any more supertalls at the moment (lol at that stale Post Office proposal).
RandomNameTag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:20 PM   #3238
600West218

The excavator is more and more backed into a corner as it now dug up an area east of the crane pad.

I wonder if the excavators will both be able to drive out of this site or if one will stay down to dig up the ramp and then have to be lifted out, mabye by the same crane that will install the tower crane?
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:57 PM   #3239
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
This tower very easily could have been T-shaped "to fit the land plot". Or at the least L-shaped. That would make better use of the area and increase the usable sqaure footage of each apartment.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; August 21st, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3240
chris123678

My uncle who works for this tower, says this tower should be up to street level by the end of this year, or early next year. Depending on delays.

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall