daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3241
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
My uncle who works for this tower, says this tower should be up to street level by the end of this year, or early next year. Depending on delays.
Yup, and after that it should move very quickly. If there are no delays one year from now this thing could be starting to soar.

They just poured concrete in the pit they dug out this morning. No rebar or anthing.

Also, they have lots of rebar in other areas and look like they will be ready for a HUGE pour in a day or so. That will turn most all this site into solid concrete with not much "earth" left.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #3242
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
My uncle who works for this tower, says this tower should be up to street level by the end of this year, or early next year. Depending on delays.
That's great to hear. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see what the brushed nickel exoskeleton will look like, and it sounds like it's not too far off.

Last edited by yankeesfan1000; August 21st, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:50 PM   #3243
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

sorry for silly question ,why has this building only got 89 floors and 1398 foot to roof height , why ESB has 102 floors and only 1250 foot ,may be lower ceilings ok ,but cos this footprint is so small i thought they would try and get max floor space ?
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:46 PM   #3244
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61250

This is a luxury residential/hotel tower, trying to get a maximum floorspace is not that important for this kind of new towers. Lower ceilings would mean lower prices for the apartments, it might not even be more profitable if it had more floors with the same height.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:02 PM   #3245
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomNameTag View Post

Even Chicago doesn't have any serious proposals for any more supertalls at the moment (lol at that stale Post Office proposal).
it's a pity nothing tall is going on in Chicago at the moment...hope we'll see new supertall projects in the next years.

but at least NYC is booming with Supertalls
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:33 AM   #3246
TedLad

Likes (Received): 0

You would be happy with this bland tower as the new pinnacle of New York City. The greatest and most celebrated highrise city on earth. Surpassing architectural greats such as the World trade centre and the Empire state building. If a building is going to reach such great heights, it has to make a statement, and this project, FOR ME, fails to do that. Regardless of location and marketing plan. Apologies if I came across as arrogant within the previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Such a ridiculous post. This is your opinion, many people are excited about this tower for obvious reasons as it will be the tallest building in the city. I think that alone explains the fuss as you like to call it.

Nobody cares if you have a problem with it because everyone has their own city And design focus. Also, Most buildings are boxes around the world, so don't act so shocked that a tall box is going up in hyper dense manhattan. Surely you realize why the building is tall, it is obvious, it's location demands it. Also, There is a reason why this building is simple, because views and low key luxury were the driving force behind the marketing plan for this tower and not ostenentatiousness. Zoning laws are strict in ny, and to get a very tal tower on this plot, it would not have been possible to have a more complicated geometry without sacrificing floor space on the upper floors due to FAR rules and setback rules. This would have potentially hindered the ability of the developer to profitably build the project.

Although it echos Bauhaus or similar conservative styles, it's clean lines stand out amongst many dull short ans dumpy boxes from last century. It actually is better looking than most of NYC boxes.
TedLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:30 AM   #3247
Yamauchi
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 54

Granted I don't keep up on all the development in the Middle East, but this is the ugliest supertall I've ever seen -- heck, it makes the Tuntex Sky Tower look like a work of art.

That said, it adds height to Manhattan's skyline, and with all the supertalls that are going to be rising in NYC over the next decade, 1000+ ft seems to be the new norm. For that reason, I don't think you can expect them all to be masterpieces.
Yamauchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:33 AM   #3248
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 58039

Sure, but this one better should have been a masterpiece to set a reference. This way it's just... Meh.

I only hope for Tower Verre to turn out really great.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3249
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

I'd taken a few days off from this post lately.

A recap 'til now of the events that took place since the last time I posted:

Aug 17 - Poured depressed slab south of core, waterproofing applied to southwest corner, rebar, crane legs and template installed in 56St footing.

Aug 20 - Area surrounding previously poured depressed slab had waterproofing begun, crane footing poured, waterproofing begun in nook east of the core.

Aug 21 - Excavation begun on new larger pad on 56St that was formed and poured, pour stops installed in east nook and east section of new slab to be poured surrounding the previously poured depress slab. Rebar completed on new future slab surrounding depressed slab. Rebar extended on south west (56St) corner, with pour stop installed.

Today - Concrete pump on site in preparation for pour for either area surrounding depressed slab, or southwest area adjacent to 56St. wall, or perhaps both.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #3250
Greatdane

Likes (Received): 47

Coming along nicely now, looks like they will be pumping all day! Really no space left now for the 2 excavators. Also looks like Park Ave cam is down again
Greatdane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #3251
webeagle12

Likes (Received): 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
Coming along nicely now, looks like they will be pumping all day! Really no space left now for the 2 excavators. Also looks like Park Ave cam is down again
I don't think they will be pumping all day long... there is not much concrete to be pumped.
webeagle12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:23 PM   #3252
600West218

I think the crane install could be this weekend. They will likely have to close 56th Street which means they'll want to do it on a Saturday, or better yet Sunday.

Effectively they can't do any work on most of the site until the tower crane is in as the excavators can't reach most of it now.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:28 PM   #3253
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Sure, but this one better should have been a masterpiece to set a reference. This way it's just... Meh.

I only hope for Tower Verre to turn out really great.
Why? There are no design review boards for as of right projects that would force this. The developers have no incentive to create a Visual masterpiece. Instead they went with low key, height and larger floor space at the penthouse rather than a fancy design because park views sell in NYC. Simple and conservative also sells in NYC. What is more important is the views and interior space. As I've said before, you can't have everything due to FAR zoning at this lot. I.e, immense height, beautiful design and A profitable amount of penthouse space. Oh, and this tower is hardly the ugliest supertal, that is pure hyperbole. This is far better than many gaudy and tacky towers going up that rely on cheap materials and silly crowns. Simple and high quality is better than a tower that ends up becoming a cheap and dated eyesore because of gimmickry and poorly aging materials.

Last edited by aquablue; August 22nd, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3254
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

Agreed.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM   #3255
eennyc

Likes (Received): 16

The north side have only 4 columns ??
eennyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:52 PM   #3256
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61250

It has 4 columns until the 4th floor, from the 5th it will have 7.

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:45 PM   #3257
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Today was a day of great progress. Four areas were poured today, leaving just a small area for the marooned excavator to maneuver. Preparations for waterproofing takes place adjacent to the section in the east nook that was poured today. The future 56St slab section to be poured that encloses the crane footing, and the depressed pad that was poured today, has some rebar placed, with additional reinforcing and pour stop to be added before pouring.

It is a shame that the Park Avenue cam is again out of service, as now that the slab visible on the 56St. cam is nearing completion, it would be interesting to see what happens at street level concerning final ramp removal, and removal of the excavators. This is a critical operation that I really want to observe, so hopefully that Park Av cam comes back very soon.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM   #3258
didil

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435

It has 4 columns until the 4th floor, from the 5th it will have 7.
Looks like a nice structure. Can't wait to see the finished building.
didil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3259
600West218

In the newly poured slab concrete in the south west corner there are whitish lines making a grid. What are those? They seem to be part of the concrete just somehow a bit different.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3260
600West218

Shoot. Still no Park Avenue cam. But it looks like the excavator at the bottom is trying to dig its way out :-)

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall