daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3261
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

The Hitachi 850 that had spent its life down in th pit for months hammering, digging, pouring concrete, acting as a crane, in short, performing yeoman service, now walks itself up the remains of the ramp. Now I really want that Park Avenue cam to get back online!! C'mon, EarthCam!!

600West218,

I believe those lines you see are saw cuts in the slab. The slab is sawed to roughly half thickness. These are control joints. This is to provide cracking control. Concrete shrinks as it cures.

Last edited by marcatio; August 22nd, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:20 PM   #3262
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
The Hitachi 850 that had spent its life down in th pit for months hammering, digging, pouring concrte, acting as a crane, inshort, performing yeoman service, now walks itself up the remains of the ramp.
Thing is, if one of these doesn't stay on the bottom how do they get all the remaining dirt out? I assumed it would be one on top digging and one on the bottom pushing dirt up and the one on the bottom would have to be lifted out.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:15 AM   #3263
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

I love this bldg.. when do you guys think it will start moving skyward and, just kinda confused with the hole it's in,, what part will be the actual buling that is 100ft by 100 ft? The footprint looks nothing like a square, they must have an idea for an L shape at the bottom,, don't know anyone else know where the core for the 100x100 is?
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3264
marcatio

The past week has seen a flurry of activity, with most of the slab on grade that is visible on the 56St cam has been poured. The bulk of the remaining activity on the foundation shifts east towards Park Avenue, with the removal of the remains of the ramp. Today, I noticed the resetting of the 56St. street barricades, indicating activity at the corner of Park Avenue and E. 56 Street, which is not viewable because of the Park Avenue cam not operating. Truck loading is taking place, with trucks being loaded by the triple-boom Hitachi. I am guessing that the Hitachi 850 that had been down in the pit may now be gone from the site. The non-functioning Park Avenue cam is a dissapointment, as this activity would be interesting to see. This to me is the worst of all times for that cam to be down.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3265
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I love this bldg.. when do you guys think it will start moving skyward and, just kinda confused with the hole it's in,, what part will be the actual buling that is 100ft by 100 ft? The footprint looks nothing like a square, they must have an idea for an L shape at the bottom,, don't know anyone else know where the core for the 100x100 is?
It's currently very clear where the tower will come on the site. You see the core in the middle of the site (blue) and foundations for the perimeter columns around it that is the outline of the tower (red).

Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:32 PM   #3266
Greatdane

Likes (Received): 47

It seems alot of wasted ground space for this tower. As people have previously mentioned, i wonder why they didn't try an L shape or even a rectangular shape nearer 56th Street. I suppose they went for simplicity.
Greatdane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #3267
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

ive got a question about the columns on the north side of the tower. how is it possible for the 3 additional columns that begin at the 5th floor to carry the same load as the ones that go all the way down to the foundation? it seems like there's no way they could. or are the four columns really enough?

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3268
600West218

Park Ave cam is back online!!

Only one big excavator is left and it is digging out the ramp with help from the little ones at the bottom. I am bummed as I will be away this weekend. I think this w/e would be a good time to monitor the cams as I think they'll be a lot of activity Saturday and Sunday. At least that is my guess.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #3269
marcatio

Happy to have the Park Avenue cam online. Hopefully it will stay online, as there is foundation work to be done on that Park Avenue end of the site.

Trucks line up along the realigned barricades on 56Street, and can no longer back into the site entrance as before, as the ramp disappears. They are currently being loaded in the street by the triple-boom Hitachi EX800, the last of the big Hitachis that worked on the foundation. As predicted, the other Hitachi EX850 excavator that worked below has left the site. As foundation work has now reached the remains of the ramp, there is every possibility that truck-loading operations may continue this weekend, as slab construction has proceeded at a brisk pace.

Workers apply waterproofing to the future depressed slab area at the nook, with rebar being installed at the future slab section at 56St.

Last edited by marcatio; August 23rd, 2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #3270
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
It seems alot of wasted ground space for this tower. As people have previously mentioned, i wonder why they didn't try an L shape or even a rectangular shape nearer 56th Street. I suppose they went for simplicity.
A bulkier Tower would have meant less Usable height due to FAR. They were going for height and views so the needed to slim the tower down to be able to have enough floor space at the top to sell expensive apts. Again, a bulkier base would have probably led to a shorter tower and worse views for the most pricey pads.

Last edited by aquablue; August 23rd, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM   #3271
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61250

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
ive got a question about the columns on the north side of the tower. how is it possible for the 3 additional columns that begin at the 5th floor to carry the same load as the ones that go all the way down to the foundation? it seems like there's no way they could. or are the four columns really enough?
From the 57th street webcam you can see that the 4 columns on this side that go down to the foundations are about twice as thick as the other columns.

On the picture that I posted on the last page you see that on the 5th and the 6th floor it will one solid wall. They will probably construct this solid wall in such a way that it will direct the loads diagonally onto the bigger columns that go all the way down.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:27 PM   #3272
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

thanks momo!

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:20 PM   #3273
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Can't wait for this baby to get above street level and take-off to the sky. Will look great from many miles, I will be sure to get pictures and videos of this that's for sure!

My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/QUEENSNY121?feature=watch
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 09:42 PM   #3274
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
It's currently very clear where the tower will come on the site. You see the core in the middle of the site (blue) and foundations for the perimeter columns around it that is the outline of the tower (red).

Thanks momo, that clears it up quite will, nice illustrations.. well, do you know what's with the pool of water?

Last edited by bigreach; August 23rd, 2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: pool of water
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3275
eennyc

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post

It has 4 columns until the 4th floor, from the 5th it will have 7.

OK !!!! thanks !!!!
eennyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3276
600West218

They seem to be doing a lot of work tidying up the site. Is there any special meaning to that?
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #3277
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

less dirt
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3278
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Fast below ground work! It would be interesting if this was announced as a 'new construction method' tower like everyone has been discussing about Changsha Tower. Imagine this topped out in 90 days because it is modular (exterior design looks it). Not gonna happen, but it sure would be fun to watch.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #3279
325ccr

Likes (Received): 82

Went to the site today since I seen on the Park Ave webcam there was a good view, here's what I got. Might go back next week but we will see

325ccr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:22 AM   #3280
marcatio

Today's action:

Visited the site today to watch the truck loading operation. The big triple-boom Hitachi spending its last days at the site digging and loading out the ramp remains. Spoke to the crew there, the excavator will wind up out in the street, digging out the remains, loading trucks behind it. Digging should finish perhaps by Tuesday. Took some photos, and a video of the truck loading.

Rebar fully installed in the slab section around the crane footing and the pad for the Alimak material hoist that will be mounted alongside the tower, along with the east area by the nook. Concrete will commence on Monday.

With the big Hitachi digging out the ramp remains, slab construction will continue towards Park Avenue.

On the west perimeter wall, workers on the man lift ground the wall to expose rebar which is bent out to be embedded in future intersecting walls.

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall