daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #4041
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Remember the discussion we had some time ago about this early render? I said back then that given new renders avaible online there is no way the towers grid will look like that. What Robert reported seems to final confirmation I was right. See how thin and delicate the grid on this render is. It is clear to me this is early model when steel grid structure was still considered. What we saw on the last renders is much thicker structure surely not steel but concrete. So when they say they resigned steel facade for the concrete one, mentioning support for the tower as an argument, I understand they meant the grid will be concrete instead of steel but does it definitely mean it won't be covered with panels or painted? The later doesn't even add much to the weight (only to the cost ).

PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #4042
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

They could use brushed aluminium panels, along with glass ala 5th Av. Apple Store. That would look grand.
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #4043
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

One more floor on the 56th St side and this is street level!
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #4044
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I think they meant that there won't be a steel cover on the concrete, but there still might (and I think it will) be paint on the concrete
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4045
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think they meant that there won't be a steel cover on the concrete
again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The decision ultimately was made not to use a metal facade because it would not provide the structural support needed for this very thin and very tall tower.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old October 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4046
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think they meant that there won't be a steel cover on the concrete, but there still might (and I think it will) be paint on the concrete
You are correct. It will have a smooth finish and may be painted white.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #4047
patrykus

If it is going to look like on the renders white paint or white matte panels are the most probable options, but definitely not an exposed concrete as you suggested earlier.

Old October 16th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4048
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
again...
I think you may have misunderstood what they've been saying. By structural support you automatically imagined structural support of the tower, however this doesn't have to be what that article was referring to. A cladding needs structural support too, to not fall off the building. You have to keep in mind that even though this building has a tuned mass damper, it will still sway more than your average concrete building. This sway could cause the panels to fall off the building. This problem might not have a financially feasible solution other than not using metal cladding at all. I'm not saying that this is definitely exactly what the article said, however it is a possibility, so I fear your certainty of this article's content might be rather misplaced
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4049
patrykus

I think I can read.

"it (the claddign) would not provide the structural support needed for this [...] tower"

is not

"the tower would not provide the structural support needed for this cladding"

which of course means only that they talked about the material from which the structural grid will be made of. So it won't be made out of steel. It still can be covered with steel panels, but of course it doesn't have to be and I never implied it definitely will. It can be just painted, polished, processed in any way, but definitely not left exposed in it's raw state.

Last edited by patrykus; October 16th, 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #4050
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I'm afraid you're wrong. The meaning might still be that the metal facade would not provide sufficient support for itself in the case of a tower like this. The "for this very thin and very tall tower" might be a description of the factors that make it not feasible for this building to use this type of cladding. The "for" might be meant in the phrase "for this reason"
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #4051
patrykus

This is really simple sentence saying about facade giving support to the tower not the other way around.

And it fits well with the render history I mentioned on the previous page. Such thin delicate structure had to be steel only in original plans.

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4052
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

OMG what a debate.

HOW can CLADDING, which is NOT part of the supporting STRUCTURE be even considered into the towers engeneering?

This tower almost certainly will use "curtain wall cladding" which means the cladding is hanged infront of the superstructure. Therefore the used cladding has nothing to do with the structure itself.
Old October 16th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #4053
patrykus

Actually it is unique solution but in this case facade (cladding is not appropriate term here I think) IS part of the supporting structure. And since Robert said they resigned the steel because it wouldn't support the tower means that it was originally the material of which the supporting facade structure was suppose to be made of but not necessarily the material covering the structure seen for the observer outside.

Old October 16th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #4054
Kanto
Roof height crusader

A facade is not a part of the structure. A perimeter structure is called a perimeter structure, not a facade. The facade is a decorative cover of a perimeter structure
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4055
patrykus

This tower was always described to have "structural facade", a grid structure forming exterior sides of the building which meant to play important role in supporting the whole tower. It was even rumored to not have a real core because of that facade and the width of the tower. Regardless if the term structural facade is 100% correct or not it definitely doesn't mean just panels or paint (lol ) covering the tower.

Old October 17th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #4056
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

Don't make it even more confusing!
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #4057
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

What if, they're building it from wood?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4058
patrykus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Don't make it even more confusing!
haha, well apparently the tower is unique to the extend that some gets easily confused about it, but what we have the discussion board for if not to makes things understandable

Old October 17th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #4059
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
What if, they're building it from wood?
This made my day!
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4060
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

22 august 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb.nl View Post
A geometric concrete exoskeleton holding up the glass innerstructure looks so simple and nice...
So this might come true? Well at least for the clean concrete exoskeleton... Yay
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall