daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4281
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Cam loaded now. Site looks good. DOesn't look flooded, which makes sense given the lack of rain.
Your posts in several thread sound like nothing happened at all, while yesterdays storm was a history making one. (subway floodings, surge records etc. etc.) Please stop underrating the events which happened, because Sandy was horrible and the true damage it made canīt be estimated yet.

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #4282
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexenergy View Post
Hey, guys, did you see that? I think it's amazing!
image hosted on flickr
Very nice unrenderish looking render. Makes those other buildings look small, much smaller than they look without those supertalls.

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #4283
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Your posts in several thread sound like nothing happened at all, while yesterdays storm was a history making one. (subway floodings, surge records etc. etc.) Please stop underrating the events which happened, because Sandy was horrible and the true damage it made canīt be estimated yet.
I completely agree with you. The WTC site and underground transportation flooded, the crane at 157 destroyed and huge flooding in other areas too. This was definitely a very bad and very damaging storm
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4284
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61051

But still, it does look like this site was spared any big damage.

Although it's pretty obvious that they won't do any work this week since pretty much everything else in the city is still shut down. And the workers could be needed with more urgent damage repairs elsewhere in area that has been hit by the storm.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #4285
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo1435 View Post
But still, it does look like this site was spared any big damage.

Although it's pretty obvious that they won't do any work this week since pretty much everything else in the city is still shut down. And the workers could be needed with more urgent damage repairs elsewhere in area that has been hit by the storm.
You never know, I would not be shocked to see people on site tomorrow. Though I doubt we will see any substantial work this week I think unless there is damage we cannot see this site will be back moving sooner than most of the others.

Looks like it's drying out on the cam
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #4286
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
You never know, I would not be shocked to see people on site tomorrow. Though I doubt we will see any substantial work this week I think unless there is damage we cannot see this site will be back moving sooner than most of the others.

Looks like it's drying out on the cam
Yeah, it should be pretty dry. THere was very little rain. Transportation for workers may be the issue delaying this. I would guess they may be back working by Thursday, which isn't bad all things considered.

Who knows, they may get 20 floors up by the time One57 fixes their little crane thingy
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #4287
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
And the workers could be needed with more urgent damage repairs elsewhere in area that has been hit by the storm.
I can't see how contracted construction workers would be send elsewhere fixing damages made by the storm. They have certain job to do and if weather and transportation lets them I guess they will resume rather soon.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 11:08 PM   #4288
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61051

The construction company can always get work on damage reparations that will have a higher priority then this tower.

And since it's not just the transportation for the workers that could delay the construction on this site but also the whole logistics behind the construction will also be affected. Workers can't do much if they haven't got the materials that they need on time on site.

We could see some workers on site in the next few days, but I just can't see full construction until next week.
Momo1435 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:48 AM   #4289
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
The construction company can always get work on damage reparations that will have a higher priority then this tower.
Well I only hope the storm wasn't THAT bad. I'm not sure what construction worker would have to do with flooded subway or broken trees. I think the city have certain institutions for such events. But I agree the construction may not resume with the usual full speed due to all the fuzz around.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:10 AM   #4290
600West218

The way this is playing out I don't think there will be construction until next week. Given the screw up at One57 the City will probably want inspections at all worksites and cranes before allowing work to resume. Remember, the DOB banned construction activities as of midnight last Saturday. Does anyone know if that ban has been lifted?
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #4291
Anonymous Rodent

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well I only hope the storm wasn't THAT bad. I'm not sure what construction worker would have to do with flooded subway or broken trees. I think the city have certain institutions for such events. But I agree the construction may not resume with the usual full speed due to all the fuzz around.
The subway is the main way that people get around NYC. Most people here don't even own cars. If people can't get to work, then work will be slowed down. Buses are running, but they can't carry everyone, and they are much slower.
Anonymous Rodent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:42 AM   #4292
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post
The subway is the main way that people get around NYC. Most people here don't even own cars. If people can't get to work, then work will be slowed down. Buses are running, but they can't carry everyone, and they are much slower.
My family owns three cars, and we're poor.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4293
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Can't get the cam to load. But the storm was a nothing and except for idiots on One57 who didn't properly secure their crane I think NY came through well. With virtually no rain (we had blue skies and sun this morning) I think this site should be back to work by tomorrow so they will only lose a couple days. :-)
What would you consider a significant event...a nuclear explosion? New York and enviorons are a mess!
Old October 31st, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4294
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

People, please calm down. Even though "Sandy" might have stirred up NYC, this is not the place to discuss it. We have Skybars. Thank you.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4295
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

Btw: For the controversial architecture discussion, this thread was created: New York sacrificing its heritage and unique flair - an affront to its grand historical cityscape? Dumb York?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4296
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1124

works resumes. workers on site..
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #4297
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Good to see that.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 02:47 PM   #4298
600West218

Excellent. But they seem to be checking things out rather than doing new work. Crane looks like it is in the same position.

Nevertheless a very good sign.

Wonder how the guys got in given that most construction workers tend to live in the 'burbs?
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:05 PM   #4299
Rich-E36

Likes (Received): 5

Crane is not operating might need an inspection prior to use. There are a few blokes laying rebar against the 57st wall and a few blokes having a clear up.
Rich-E36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4300
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-E36 View Post
Crane is not operating might need an inspection prior to use. There are a few blokes laying rebar against the 57st wall and a few blokes having a clear up.
All cranes have to be inspected after something like this, it would be crazy simply start the crane and kill somebody eventually. You never know if some cable snapped or anything got damaged.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall