daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2012, 05:01 AM   #4401
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

the people in america are crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslatron View Post
The Drake Hotel was already demolished 3 years ago.
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #4402
-Corey-
Je suis tout ā vous

Likes (Received): 5222

Wow this building is rising very fast!! almost at st level!!

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4403
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

600West218, CCs77,

The test you mention is known as a slump test. A sample of concrete from each truck load is placed into a tapered cut-off cone 12 inches tall, open at both ends, with the open top 4 inches in diameter, and the open bottom 8 inches in diameter. It is sometimes placed on a piece of plywood on the sidewalk. The cut-off cone is filled with concrete, the top struck off level with the top of the cone, and rodded a specified number of times with a 5/8" diameter tamping rod. The cone is carefully lifted off the concrete. The resulting cone of concrete will slump (sag). The cone is placed alongside the slumped concrete, the rod is placed across the top of the cone, and using a ruler measuring the distance from the rod to the top of the slumped concrete, the degree of slump is obtained. This test is used to determine the consistency of the concrete.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM   #4404
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Thanks 600west218 for the last pictures, and by the way, one of the pictures I reposted earlier was yours too.

As for your question, the samples are not taken from the structure, they are taken from the truck and poured in some special molds to that end. What I don't know is if they have to take one sample of each truck or one of a given number of trucks (I guess it's the last) maybe marcatio could expand the information.
In addition to the slump test that marcatio explained 6 inch x 12 inch test cylinder samples are taken from each batch. After 7 or 28 days of curing, the samples are tested for strength. If they pass, everything is fine. If they don't pass, core samples are drilled from the actual structure. If these don't pass, then the faulty concrete has to be removed.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4405
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
In addition to the slump test that marcatio explained 6 inch x 12 inch test cylinder samples are taken from each batch. After 7 or 28 days of curing, the samples are tested for strength. If they pass, everything is fine. If they don't pass, core samples are drilled from the actual structure. If these don't pass, then the faulty concrete has to be removed.
THanks for the detailed information.

Couldn't this be a problem though if other floors have been built on top? Couldn't they have to take down 2 or 3 floors to remove faulty concrete?

How often does that happen?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #4406
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

cam

I guess they are very sure if the concrete is good enough or not to build on it. The tests should be done before the next pour.
edit: the 26th cam is ''currently offline'' while the others are working.

Last edited by tim1807; November 13th, 2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: cam
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #4407
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

Tim, it takes at least a week to run the strength tests due to the concrete needing to cure, so it would significantly slow down a job, especially on projects that are going 3 days per floor.

I think it's pretty rare for concrete to fail the tests, but it did happen to the Clark Bridge over the Mississippi River. The engineers noticed that some of the leftover concrete from a batch for the towers was so light weight that it floated, which was a sign that it was much weaker than it was supposed to be. Tests confirmed that the concrete was subpar, and it had to be jack-hammered out-very tricky when you consider the dense rebar the had to avoid damaging.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4408
marcatio

Unfortunately, the 56St cam is down, for an indefinite amount of time. It went offline breifly yesterday afternoon, came up for a little while, then went off altogether. This has been the most reliable of the three cams, and the one that provided the most detail of the goings-on at the site. The other cams by EarthCam are low-res to begin with, and zooming in for detail is fuzzy at best. Hopefully, the 56St cam comes back online. The last time it was down for an extended time period was during the foundation phase, when blasting was taking place. I did observe Mayrich's flatbed straight truck deliver a drill, that was placed by the Favco tower crane into the large opening that is on the northeast corner of the site. That opening is viewable on the 57 St cam. I do not know if the now offline 56St cam has anything to do with the drill's appearance.
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #4409
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Can't wait to have the cam back.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4410
marcatio

I am taking a long-shot guess here, and going out on a limb. The drill was delivered yesterday, and examination of previous screen shots (one I have dated 9 25 12), shows that northeast corner of the first level formed. Looking today at the 57St cam at that same corner, formwork was removed to accomodate the drill. Is it that remediation activity is taking place?? I am not sure. As Mayrich was the foundation contractor, and their work was presumed completed, why is the drill there?
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4411
singoone
€ Scraping the sky €

Likes (Received): 666

Well, here are screenshots from 57th cam and Park ave cam. Itīs a shame that 56th cam is down.

singoone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #4412
Carpenter157
local 157 nyc

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio
This is going quite fast. I have been taking screenshots daily, sometimes as many as 5 to 10, with the most screenshots in one day, 18. These I have been examining very closely. By recording these images on a daily basis, and comparing each image, it is easy to see what has been done each day. I can go back to any date since I started, to see the progress.

As far as the speed of construction in NYC, my experience is that it usually does not take long for a tower to be constructed. NYC was the pioneer of the so-called "two-day cycle" of high-rise construction, which was developed shortly after World War Two. In such a cycle, it usually results in either two or three floors per week constructed, depending on the floor area. Smaller floor plates can result in more floors constructed in a given period. This applies to the tower, which usually has what are known as "typical floors", that is, floors whose floor plate areas are similar, and whose characteristics are repetitious. In a two day cycle, assuming that the previous floor slab (Let's call it Deck 1) has been poured that day (Let's call it Day 1), column rebar and forms are erected (after the concrete has hardened sufficiently, after a couple of hours) Floor forms are erected the same day, and rebar placed. Day 2, columns are poured, rebar crew finishes rebar. Day Three, floor Deck 2 is poured, Deck 1 forms are stripped and reshores placed beneath. Reshores must be placed immediately beneath stripped floors to carry the construction loads above. Since the lower floors have not attained their full strength, the loads have to be carried down via reshores through several lower floors to develop the needed capacity to support the imposed loads without excessive stress or deflection.

Don't forget, for rapid construction, large work crews are deployed. They can get this done quickly.

The lower floors we see currently constructed usually take longer, due to special conditions, such as concrete beams, differing elevations of floors, special reinforcing, etc. This also applies to the base portions of the building, until the typical floors are reached. Thereafter, this will rise quickly, barring any unforseen delays. Look at how fast One57 up the street went up, before the unfortunate crane boom collapse due to Hurricane Sandy. Another example is New York by Gehry (11 Spruce Street). I have witnessed many a building in NYC go up fast.
Correct. Seeing that the typical floors are small sq footage I could see 5 floors every 2 weeks (2 day cycle) except for those machine floors which might be taller. Either way it will take about 16 months to top out, (rain, snow,wind cause delays)

Last edited by Carpenter157; November 13th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Carpenter157 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4413
RoofHeightMatters

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by singoone View Post
Well, here are screenshots from 57th cam and Park ave cam. Itīs a shame that 56th cam is down.

I will never understand NYC real estate.

How could they not be able to buy out those microscopic buildings on either side of the lot? Or did the developers really want to build a toothpick-wide skyscraper from the beginning?
RoofHeightMatters no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #4414
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

They look like they could be historic, just a guess.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #4415
yankeesfan1000

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post

How could they not be able to buy out those microscopic buildings on either side of the lot? Or did the developers really want to build a toothpick-wide skyscraper from the beginning?
Maybe the owners didn't want to sell. Maybe the developer didn't see the need in purchasing those buildings having purchased the ones they did. Maybe they couldn't agree on a price. Who knows.
yankeesfan1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:42 AM   #4416
comet the cat
Too tall is not an option

Likes (Received): 85

YES!! It's rising!
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4417
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofHeightMatters View Post

They did want to buy them however they couldn't, I cannot remember the exact reasoning however had those building been purchased this could have risen to 1700ft+ from the early talks.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #4418
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
They did want to buy them however they couldn't, I cannot remember the exact reasoning however had those building been purchased this could have risen to 1700ft+ from the early talks.
One question, in the eastern face the building is fixed with that small old building, so the eastern windows open directly over that building. Don't they at least had to buy the air rights of that building to prevent a future, taller building to obstruct the said windows? How does that work?
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #4419
marcatio

In the near future, the crane will be jumped. Just barely visible on the Park Av cam, a truck has arrived with tower sections, with one tower section already offloaded. To bad that 56St cam remains inoperable, the jumping procedure would have interesting to see from the 56St side.
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #4420
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28189

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet the cat View Post
YES!! It's rising!
already quite a while.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall