daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4601
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This photo by John Flint shows a contrast between a 3,000 year old Egyptian Obelisk which was given to NY in the 19th Century, and Extell's new "obelisk." Very few New Yorkers are even aware of this obelisk, which sits in Central Park behind the Egyptian wing of the Met.

432 Park will be a new, flat-topped "obelisk".

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #4602
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Central Park will get an incredible skyline. It is good that the new residential megaprojects rise next to it. If I could afford living in a supertall I would definitely want to be as close to some nature as possible

Btw, the 432 Park page loads ok for me
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #4603
nycfann1

Likes (Received): 3

So over the last few days there have been long arguments over roof heights/ actual heights of buildings in nyc forums. Is the 426m to the highest occupied floor or to the roof of this building. Thanks
nycfann1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #4604
Kanto
Roof height crusader

426m is the roof height. 398m is the floor slab of the top occupied floor, however, there are mech floors above it
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4605
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Looks great from the park.

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #4606
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I have started the second generation of my roof height diagrams where I hope to follow the construction of 432 Park and 3WTC

Roof height used below:

[IMG]http://i50.************/r70s9z.png[/IMG]

432 Park is now approximately 9 meters or 30 feet tall
3WTC is now approximately 62 meters or 203 feet tall
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #4607
lawsonTh

Likes (Received): 0

Seems like a lot of workers are at the sight right now. They also seem to be keeping the sight relatively clean, unlike One World Trade .
lawsonTh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:36 PM   #4608
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Because the site was always perfectly covered with fences so that no one could make good pics from street level, I think today was the perfect day to make pics because the fence was open on the 56th side.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4609
NYBOY1975
BANNED

Likes (Received): 95

Great diagram Kanto thank you for this!
NYBOY1975 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4610
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Core rebar is now above street level as well, I recall months ago they said they would be at street level by the end of the year so things are really moving quickly.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2012, 11:43 PM   #4611
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

I don't like to make predictions about what may happen at 432 Park Avenue as concerns progress (my percentages for being correct with my guesses are maybe 50%!!), as my predictions are based only on observations of the goings-on at the site.

However, I'll make a guess, that perhaps tomorrow, the south section of the current level that has been formed with reinforcement placed, and other appurtenances required, may be poured. I say this, because, I believe all necessary items have been completed as evidenced by the rebar placing crew relocated to placing core rebar, and other areas, and, by viewing the Park Avenue cam, one sees what most likely is an envelope to contain warmth beneath the south section to be poured ( the white sheet placed between the current level and the next lower level). Typically in colder weather such measures are taken to prevent freshly poured concrete from freezing while curing. Space heaters are placed below the formwork to keep the concrete warm, and the protective envelope helps keep the warmth in. Although concrete gives off heat during curing (hydration), the additional protection during cold weather helps prevent freezing, which would be detrimental.

Once again, we shall see.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #4612
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Kanto:
Where would 2WTC rank on your diagram, if built? Higher than ESB with an approved spire, Or lower without spire.. Seems like all the talk, 2WTC isn't even included anymore,, I would love to see the diamond top out right where ESB antennae starts, then throw a spire on WTC2 to beat ESB.

Last edited by erbse; November 29th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #4613
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

The tip top of 2WTC is only 20 feet shorter than 1WTC's roof.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #4614
Rich-E36

Likes (Received): 5

Slab pour just about to start!!!
Rich-E36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4615
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1124

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
I don't like to make predictions about what may happen at 432 Park Avenue as concerns progress (my percentages for being correct with my guesses are maybe 50%!!), as my predictions are based only on observations of the goings-on at the site.

However, I'll make a guess, that perhaps tomorrow, the south section of the current level that has been formed with reinforcement placed, and other appurtenances required, may be poured. I say this, because, I believe all necessary items have been completed as evidenced by the rebar placing crew relocated to placing core rebar, and other areas, and, by viewing the Park Avenue cam, one sees what most likely is an envelope to contain warmth beneath the south section to be poured ( the white sheet placed between the current level and the next lower level). Typically in colder weather such measures are taken to prevent freshly poured concrete from freezing while curing. Space heaters are placed below the formwork to keep the concrete warm, and the protective envelope helps keep the warmth in. Although concrete gives off heat during curing (hydration), the additional protection during cold weather helps prevent freezing, which would be detrimental.

Once again, we shall see.
you guess it right. they are now pouring the place you've mentioned..
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM   #4616
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

I can't tell yet what they are pouring. Is it the floor slab or some column?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #4617
Kycon

Likes (Received): 32

Slab pour begins!
Kycon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #4618
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBOY1975 View Post
Great diagram Kanto thank you for this!
Thanks

Quote:
Kanto:
Where would 2WTC rank on your diagram, if built? Higher than ESB with an approved spire, Or lower without spire.. Seems like all the talk, 2WTC isn't even included anymore,, I would love to see the diamond top out right where ESB antennae starts, then throw a spire on WTC2 to beat ESB.
2WTC is on hold atm, so I'm not including it in this diagram. It has 387 meters to the roof and 412 meters to the pinnacle, therefore in my diagram it would be between 1WTC and the ESB
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4619
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

I don't know when they started the pour today, but now they have poured the whole floor around the crane. Also there is a new parking spot for the trucks on the 56th side because they build that weeks ago.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #4620
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

im not sure what the plans are for this plaza area after the pour but I would expect this will allow them to stage material and trucks on the site. probably will improve the work flow overall.
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall