daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #4761
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
More time consuming? They can make these rebar cages off site (prefab)
doubt they can do this. this is a complicated site with irregular plan. I am positive all the cages have to be custom made on site. It is not like it is very difficult, but it is more time consuming. Just think of a nail that you can put into a wood by power hummer in a second. And then if you need to do the same with the screw. It is a much stronger construction, wood will never splinter from screws and longer lasting effect. But it takes more time and thus money. same thing here. But it is a better way.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #4762
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985 View Post
doubt they can do this. this is a complicated site with irregular plan. I am positive all the cages have to be custom made on site. It is not like it is very difficult, but it is more time consuming. Just think of a nail that you can put into a wood by power hummer in a second. And then if you need to do the same with the screw. It is a much stronger construction, wood will never splinter from screws and longer lasting effect. But it takes more time and thus money. same thing here. But it is a better way.
We have seen trucks pull up with the cages on the back so they are absolutely being done offsite.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #4763
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
We have seen trucks pull up with the cages on the back so they are absolutely being done offsite.
Indeed we did see that.
But whatever they made those in site or offsite, they are prefabricated anyway, meaning that while they are pouring the columns of one level, they can already be assembling the rebar cages of the next (whatever if it is in or offsite) making the overall speed of construction faster, not slower.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #4764
MrSlippery519

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Indeed we did see that.
But whatever they made those in site or offsite, they are prefabricated anyway, meaning that while they are pouring the columns of one level, they can already be assembling the rebar cages of the next (whatever if it is in or offsite) making the overall speed of construction faster, not slower.
Exactly spot on.
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #4765
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

What are the blue beams?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #4766
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
What are the blue beams?
i saw these blue beams yesterday already. it could be a part of the climing-formwork system for the core. but not sure though
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2012, 09:42 PM   #4767
MrSlippery519

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
What are the blue beams?
Someone mentioned its likely the vehicle hydraulic elevator
Old December 12th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #4768
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

its probably for the material hoist
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4769
MrSlippery519

Looks like the core is starting another jump
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4770
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
i saw these blue beams yesterday already. it could be a part of the climing-formwork system for the core. but not sure though
They look like thinner steel columns. I dunno but aren't they an additional reinfocement of the core?
Old December 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #4771
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #4772
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

The blue structures in the core must be for the core elevators and as stated before the rectangular blue structure must be for the truck elevator and will soon be placed in the rectangular hole elevator shaft just behind it.

I stand corrected...on giving it a closer look it appears that the blue structures are all part of a sliding form for the inner walls of the core including the walls for the five elevator shafts within the core...it appears that they will form the walls first then move the form up and then pour the core floor spaces after???

Last edited by jconyc; December 12th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #4773
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

It looks like that indeed, you can see similiar steel on the core and the structure wouldn't fit in the hole behind it.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #4774
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Is that steel for the cube down there in the pit?
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #4775
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Its a ugly building and hase a boring look.
But its rising fast and it is a pretty high building

I mis that on the top of the building with a spire on top but it isnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
30 september:

[IMG]http://i49.************/birmnb.jpg[/IMG]
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #4776
Builder37

Likes (Received): 10

Quick Clarifications

Reinforcing couplers are not cheaper and are typically only used when required by specification or if the means and methods of construction necessitate it. That said, in some instances, couplers do increase production; especially when the dowels would need to pass through formwork. Additionally, any bar that is a #14 or larger must be coupled per ACI and any time bars are "bundled" they must be coupled.

The "blue steel" is part of the core climbing system. See http://www.doka.com/doka/en_us/produ...snew/index.php for description of the system you are looking at on this project. What separates this system from the rest, is that it will jump the entire core system - formwork, pump booms and mini-hoist - in one movement of the hydraulic rams; there is no ratcheting action. The following is a graphic of the system to be utilized:

As it relates to the column cages, all them will be built off-site and ahead of schedule. This is certainly the most efficient way this can be done. Please note that both the columns and the spandrel beams are actually high-strength threaded bars - like foundation tie-backs - and not traditional reinforcing.

In terms of schedule, the bottom half the building is schedule to be a 4 day cycle for typical floors and the top half will be on a three day cycle.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you guys...

cantstandya liked this post

Last edited by Builder37; December 12th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Builder37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #4777
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Thank you very much for that information.

Are you part of the crew of this building, or related in some form to its construction? for such specific information you gave, it seems so.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4778
Carpenter157
local 157 nyc

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder37 View Post
Reinforcing couplers are not cheaper and are typically only used when required by specification or if the means and methods of construction necessitate it. That said, in some instances, couplers do increase production; especially when the dowels would need to pass through formwork. Additionally, any bar that is a #14 or larger must be coupled per ACI and any time bars are "bundled" they must be coupled.

The "blue steel" is part of the core climbing system. See http://www.doka.com/doka/en_us/produ...snew/index.php for description of the system you are looking at on this project. What separates this system from the rest, is that it will jump the entire core system - formwork, pump booms and mini-hoist - in one movement of the hydraulic rams; there is no ratcheting action. The following is a graphic of the system to be utilized:

As it relates to the column cages, all them will be built off-site and ahead of schedule. This is certainly the most efficient way this can be done. Please note that both the columns and the spandrel beams are actually high-strength threaded bars - like foundation tie-backs - and not traditional reinforcing.

In terms of schedule, the bottom half the building is schedule to be a 4 day cycle for typical floors and the top half will be on a three day cycle.

I hope this clears some stuff up for you guys...
First Time I've seen/will be seeing this system used.. sick!
Carpenter157 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #4779
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder37 View Post
The "blue steel" is part of the core climbing system. See http://www.doka.com/doka/en_us/produ...snew/index.php for description of the system you are looking at on this project. What separates this system from the rest, is that it will jump the entire core system - formwork, pump booms and mini-hoist - in one movement of the hydraulic rams; there is no ratcheting action. The following is a graphic of the system to be utilized
so i was right . though it was just a guess, it just looked like that to me
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #4780
Builder37

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

Thank you very much for that information.

Are you part of the crew of this building, or related in some form to its construction? for such specific information you gave, it seems so.
Yes, you might say that I am intimately familiar with this project and, because you guys are so enthusiastic about it, I felt that I should shed some light on your questions.

I will continue to check in to see if I can add additional insight when you have questions.

Builder37

Last edited by Builder37; December 12th, 2012 at 09:11 PM.
Builder37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall