daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:20 AM   #5381
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Compared to most modern buildings, I think it will appear the exact opposite of glassy. Compared to older towers in new york though, I would agree.
Good points, but I disagree. The rendering looks pretty glassy. The overwhelming majority of the facade will be glass. We'll see.

Anyway, this will be a nice contrast to the other 57th St area super talls: 225 W57th, 0ne 57, and Torre Verre.

Kanto liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:47 AM   #5382
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's not like not being glassy is a bad thing. In my opinion, NYC is defined by its fine use of steel, brick, stone and concrete in its buildings, until just last decade.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:43 AM   #5383
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

True. Although I think that what you are really looking for is not material used but diversity of styles. The problem with 100% glassy towers is that they all somehow looks the same. They only differs in shape - that's exactly why I'm not a big fan of wtc, or hudson yards towers. They are great blocks, I have no doubt about that, but because of lack of diversity those projects are somehow separated from the rest of the city.

I'm glad 432 offers something different and new for a change with its not so glassy structural facade, which btw is not an opinion but a fact - only 56% of its surface is glass compared to your average glassy tower with its facade made in 99% of glass panels.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5384
acerx
traveling the world

Likes (Received): 26

here is a photo from the facebookpage of wilshire grand in los angeles. the two towers on the left and in the right corner beneath the photo reminded me of the future park avenue.
acerx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:20 PM   #5385
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Concrete pours are starting today
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM   #5386
Builder37

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
It's expected to go 1 floor every 4-5 days once we get to the main frame of the tower in a month or so. Multiply 4.5 by 89 floors and you'll get 400.5 days. That means it should top out in 1 year and 1 month, give or take a few weeks or so.
Don't forget to take out weekend and holidays....There are about 24 work days per month.
Builder37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 04:32 PM   #5387
stofzuiger

Likes (Received): 337

Is it me or are those windows going to be huuuuuge?
stofzuiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5388
600West218

looks like they are pouring where the rebar that I took pictures of was installed! Very quick.

What I don't get is why is there a concrete pump going up to the top of the core and then a pump going from a core to the lower and closer to the street area being poured at the moment. What is that about?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #5389
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Great Wilshire Grand photo

MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5390
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
looks like they are pouring where the rebar that I took pictures of was installed! Very quick.

What I don't get is why is there a concrete pump going up to the top of the core and then a pump going from a core to the lower and closer to the street area being poured at the moment. What is that about?
They are probably using a pump from the street to send concrete to the pump on the tower because the full infrastructure for the tower pump is not operational yet. Also, by sending concrete to the tower, they only need to have 1 pump truck, instead of 1 on one side and 1 on the other side.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5391
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerx View Post
here is a photo from the facebookpage of wilshire grand in los angeles. the two towers on the left and in the right corner beneath the photo reminded me of the future park avenue.
In fact even the cladding of the taller buildings looks a lot like that of 432 Park
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5392
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindgoessnap View Post
They are probably using a pump from the street to send concrete to the pump on the tower because the full infrastructure for the tower pump is not operational yet. Also, by sending concrete to the tower, they only need to have 1 pump truck, instead of 1 on one side and 1 on the other side.
Thanks for answering but I am not sure I follow that.

Why not pump just directly from teh street side to the area where they are pouring? Clearly it can be reached from street side.

Also, as this building grows taller how will the upper pump be fed. Via some SUPER LONG pump or does it get hauled up in buckets by the crane and then put in the pump?

Thanks in advance for the info!!
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:55 PM   #5393
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I can't imagine a pump reaching that far up so my bet is on buckets, but that's just my uneducated guess.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:19 PM   #5394
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I can't imagine a pump reaching that far up so my bet is on buckets, but that's just my uneducated guess.
Pumps reach up that high all the time - do you think people living on the top floor carry their water up by buckets in the evevators

The question is how much harder/more expensive is it to do that with concrete. I think I've heard of projects where it is entirely pumped up but I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone will inform us.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:40 PM   #5395
4npower
Rooftop Shooter

Likes (Received): 989

Quote:
do you think people living on the top floor carry their water up by buckets in the evevators

Of course not, they pay people to do it for them

As i understand it, the concrete will be pumped up through the core to another pump at the top and poured as needed.

Pumping concrete this high is so 5-7 years ago anyways
4npower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5396
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Thanks for answering but I am not sure I follow that.

Why not pump just directly from teh street side to the area where they are pouring? Clearly it can be reached from street side.

Also, as this building grows taller how will the upper pump be fed. Via some SUPER LONG pump or does it get hauled up in buckets by the crane and then put in the pump?

Thanks in advance for the info!!
I am not sure how it works, but I think almost definitely that they won't use buckets.

I think they will use a pump, feed from the ground floor and then pumping the concrete all the way up. That would be fixed to the building, and they will add more sections of pipe as the building grows. What I am not sure, if it would be pumped directly to that arm that we see, or there would be one pump from the ground floor up, and then it would be transferred to a smaller pump in the top, the one with the arm.
Also it could be that they have to use a few pumps once the building reaches certain height. For example one pump from the ground up to 25th floor, then it would be transferred to another from 25th to 50th, and so on.

What are they doing now I don't know, as you said, it doesn't sounds logic that they pump with the truck to another pump in the top, when the truck can pump directly. ( although that could be useful to pour the 57th st side, since I think the truck no longer reaches there)
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5397
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Pumps reach up that high all the time - do you think people living on the top floor carry their water up by buckets in the evevators

The question is how much harder/more expensive is it to do that with concrete. I think I've heard of projects where it is entirely pumped up but I'm not sure.

Hopefully someone will inform us.
Well, but no truck pump can reach that high, they would have to install a piping network for concrete just like water has a piping network. But wouldn't that be too expensive? I mean the pipes would have to be thicker than the average water pipes and would take up more space. Do they have enough space and resources to do that? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use buckets?
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:30 PM   #5398
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Well, but no truck pump can reach that high, they would have to install a piping network for concrete just like water has a piping network. But wouldn't that be too expensive? I mean the pipes would have to be thicker than the average water pipes and would take up more space. Do they have enough space and resources to do that? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just use buckets?
Of course it is more expensive, but remember that time is money. If they use buckets, there is no way that they could do a floor each 4 or 5 days, lifting a bucket that can only hold a relatively small amount of concrete all way up and the all way down each time, needing several buckets just to pour a single column. And not to mention that while they are using the crane to lift buckets of concrete, they can't use it for anything else.

As for space, it is not problem at all. It is not that big, it is a pipe of about 8", I think, that could go anywhere. Could go inside an elevator shaft, since the elevator won't be installed until the structure is topped out and the pumping system dismantled

If they have a mechanical lifting system for the core, it is logical they have a pumping system for the concrete.

Kanto, 600West218 liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; January 22nd, 2013 at 08:35 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:35 PM   #5399
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation
Old January 22nd, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5400
Anonymous Rodent

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
What are they doing now I don't know, as you said, it doesn't sounds logic that they pump with the truck to another pump in the top, when the truck can pump directly. ( although that could be useful to pour the 57th st side, since I think the truck no longer reaches there)
I believe that the method they are using is actually faster/easier than trying to pump directly from the street. With their method, they just set up the big boom from the street once, and then they move the smaller boom on the core from place to place. The smaller boom is easier to manipulate, and of course it can reach all the sides of the building.

What I wonder about these long pumps: what happens to the concrete left in them when a pour is finished? I assume they have to be flushed out, and what remains goes to waste? Does it get recycled back into fill or something?

600West218 liked this post
Anonymous Rodent no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall