daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:48 PM   #5401
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Good discussion. Just my 2 cents: water, concrete and everything isn't pumped from the ground straight up. There are "resting" levels (mechanical floors) where liquid being pumped "rest" before being pumped higher. For example, is mechanical floors are every 10 floors, concrete is pumped from the ground to 10th floor. Then from 10th to 20th. and so on..That way you can pump it as high as you want. Burj Khalifa had pumped concrete up to 600m high.

Kanto, 600West218 liked this post
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:13 PM   #5402
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Interesting, so they install several smaller pumps instead of one big pump. This way the pumps don't need to be as strong as one big pump would have to be. Thanks for the explanation
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:05 PM   #5403
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Interesting, so they install several smaller pumps instead of one big pump. This way the pumps don't need to be as strong as one big pump would have to be. Thanks for the explanation
Exactly. Imagine what kind of pump would that be to pump heavy concrete (concrete really is heavy) 400 m in the air. I remember we were learning about this in high school, but can't really remember more details today.

Edit: Here's an article with pictures about concrete pump in one of the skyscrapers in Toronto. They built the pipes in the building. They managed to pump it from 5th to 68th floor without stop. About 700 ft. That's halfway to the top of 432 PA. With this system they would need only one "resting level".

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by DinoVabec; January 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #5404
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post

What I wonder about these long pumps: what happens to the concrete left in them when a pour is finished? I assume they have to be flushed out, and what remains goes to waste? Does it get recycled back into fill or something?
I watched a show about this, I remember that they introduced a rubber ball when they were about to finish the pour and the ball in its way up cleaned the concrete remaining inside the pipe, and they use that remaining to finish the pour.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:37 PM   #5405
scalziand
Naugatuckian

Likes (Received): 181

In Burj Khaliffa, they pumped it the top using a single pump, so it should be no problem for 432 Park if they want to do it that way.

Quote:
What I wonder about these long pumps: what happens to the concrete left in them when a pour is finished? I assume they have to be flushed out, and what remains goes to waste? Does it get recycled back into fill or something?
The concrete left in the pipes is flushed with a foam ball and compressed air, and generally gets used for fill, yes.
scalziand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM   #5406
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
In Burj Khaliffa, they pumped it the top using a single pump, so it should be no problem for 432 Park if they want to do it that way.
Yes, 606 m with specially designed pumps. Which was new record for a single pump is if I remember correctly. I think the highest point reached with concrete pump was 715 m somewhere in India.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:58 PM   #5407
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Why that high, for on a mountain?

They have stopped now with the two pumps but continue with buckets pouring between the core and the north crane.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5408
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Why that high, for on a mountain?
Yes, the Parbati Hydroelectric Project..
Old January 23rd, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5409
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
I believe that the method they are using is actually faster/easier than trying to pump directly from the street. With their method, they just set up the big boom from the street once, and then they move the smaller boom on the core from place to place. The smaller boom is easier to manipulate, and of course it can reach all the sides of the building.
That makes sense...
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:13 AM   #5410
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by Builder37 View Post
Don't forget to take out weekend and holidays....There are about 24 work days per month.
When they said they'd go a floor every 4-5 days, I don't know whether they were including weekends or going by workdays. But since they work Saturdays here, I'd say for 31 day months, we're averaging 25-26 days a month. If that was the case, going by 4.5 days/floor and taking into account mechanical floors, it looks like 1 year and 5 months, give or take a week or so.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 03:52 AM   #5411
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

They can only go so fast as concrete needs to harden to at least a certain amount of compressive strength before adding the next floor worth of weight above it. It takes up to 6 weeks for concrete to reach full strength, so that's probably also a factor in how many floors can be done per month.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:11 AM   #5412
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

I'm 99.9% positive they took that into account. They wouldn't say, "Oh, it would take 4-5 days, but we'll let the concrete dry well and go about 20 days/floor." Just food for thought.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:35 AM   #5413
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
When they said they'd go a floor every 4-5 days, I don't know whether they were including weekends or going by workdays. But since they work Saturdays here, I'd say for 31 day months, we're averaging 25-26 days a month. If that was the case, going by 4.5 days/floor and taking into account mechanical floors, it looks like 1 year and 5 months, give or take a week or so.
Did they ever say themselves that they would do a floor every 4 or 5 days? I can't recall them saying much about construction. I thought someone on the forum calculated the 1 floor per 4 or 5 days number.

One thing I do know is that the sinage at the construction site says the work will be completed in 2014. Not 100% sure though if that includes all internal work at the building being in use or if it just refers to external work. Either way, that is pretty fast for a building of this size.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:40 AM   #5414
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

[QUOTE=Mercenary;99328584]At its current pace, it should be at:
36 Floors by January 2014
72 Floors by January 2015
So Kanye and Kim will be ready for their Penthouse,, with choppers surrounding their big windows everyday, (Hopefully they get Blinds or Curtains.).before the antennae (OH,OH watch my English, "Thee Durst Spire" is done on 1WTC and 4WTC finishes it's pane a glass every 3 days?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:46 AM   #5415
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Kanye's getting a penthouse at 432 Park?
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM   #5416
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

no, its a joke
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:00 AM   #5417
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I'm kinda sick of your comments on 1WTC already, we get it, okay? Don't need to post it on every thread...
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #5418
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Some fresh pics...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...77316&page=156

Kanto liked this post
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM   #5419
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Did they ever say themselves that they would do a floor every 4 or 5 days? I can't recall them saying much about construction. I thought someone on the forum calculated the 1 floor per 4 or 5 days number.

One thing I do know is that the sinage at the construction site says the work will be completed in 2014. Not 100% sure though if that includes all internal work at the building being in use or if it just refers to external work. Either way, that is pretty fast for a building of this size.
Fast but doable. I guess they don't wanna waste time and get this built long before 225 West, which should be more prestigeous both for height and location.

Btw, Dino, thanks for the article
Old January 23rd, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5420
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
Where, those pics from 21jan were posted before.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall