daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #6881
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
Tomorrow they should kick it into high gear!
Hope you're right,, but why would they block the view of the bottom like that?? To keep Pedestrians from loitering and taking pics? Hopefully by summer it stands taller than it's somewhat tall (Black bldg) neighbor...

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #6882
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
You can clearly see the transition from 4 columns to 7

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by 600West218, on Flickr
Anyone else notice the orange tape/paint that seems to show where the diagonal rebar is located?

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post

billgates liked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #6883
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, the concrete mix is very interesting.

I guess they first pour the good concrete and then when they go to areas that require just regular concrete they don't even bother to clean out the concrete pumping system as the good concrete doesn't do any damage to the areas where they don't really care about the concrete anyways.

BTW, does anyone have a chart on how long it takes concret to set - ie, something like:

12 hours 50% of ultimate strentgh
1 day 90% of ultimate strength
2 days 94% of ultimate strength

I've always been curious about this.
This is a very interesting question. I'd really like to know the specifics of the setting proccess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Anyone else notice the orange tape/paint that seems to show where the diagonal rebar is located?

They use diagonal rebar too? I thought they only used rebar cages that are a grid of vertical and horizontal rebar. That's interesting
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #6884
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1150

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Concrete strength increases with age as long as moisture and a favorable temperature are present for hudration of cement. In the figure shown below concrete that is IN AIR ENTIRE TIME is only 55% of the strength of MOIST-CURED ENTIRE TIME concrete at 28 days. In air after 3 days is 80% and in air after 7 days is 90%. A quality curing and sealing compund will allow the concrete to continue in strength gain beyond 28 days as shown on the chart for moist-cured.
Strength gain in colder temperatures slows down. 40F concrete will be 35% of its design strength in seven days as compared to 75% for 73F concrete. Concrete poured in lower temperatures to get sufficient strengths to withstand freeze-thaw cycles.
Also, there are different types of concrete and they (usually) have different properties. So unless we know the type of concrete used (ie. M-400, M-450), we can never be sure about the curing. I am no engineer so don't take my words for granted but the graph above was taken from american concrete company page.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #6885
alheaine
™♥•♥•♥™

Likes (Received): 1467

Wow..gonna be the tallest in NYC?
Love most those who Hate me."

--Alheaine Dredjshiah 2011
alheaine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6886
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4521

By roof height yes Have a look at this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1153917 which is currently approved to have its top floor at a height of 472m

Btw, are they pouring the core?

alheaine liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6887
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post

They use diagonal rebar too? I thought they only used rebar cages that are a grid of vertical and horizontal rebar. That's interesting
Yes they used diagonal rebar for the transition element, as you can see in these pictures. This is the second of the two floors of the transition. The one in the middle is the new intermediate column, with the diagonal rebar used to transfer the weight to the other two columns, that go to the ground, at both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post

Kanto liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6888
Klcity20

Likes (Received): 0

cool
Klcity20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #6889
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by alheaine View Post
Wow..gonna be the tallest in NYC?
Lots of scenarios.

It will be taller than the WTC 1 and ESB's roof height, but shorter than both their antennas. However, WTC 1 is officially taller because it's spire is an integral part of the structure compared to the "temporary" antenna structure of the ESB.

By roof height it would go like this

1. 432 Park
2. WTC 1
3. ESB

By absolute pinnacle it would go like this

1. WTC 1
2. ESB
3. 432 Park

However, the official height comparison would go like this

1. WTC 1
2. 432 Park
3. ESB

Choose what you please.
Old April 15th, 2013, 06:58 PM   #6890
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Some pictures from today, Sunday, April 14th:

image hosted on flickr

Thanks for the in person closeups. I got a kick out of seeing the orange lines painted where the diagonal rebar is. And, it fun seeing the two concrete pours blending!

I'm curious about this bracket - it looks like the frame is not bolted to the tower itself, but "grabs" by clamping the tower. Is that correct??
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #6891
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Yes they used diagonal rebar for the transition element, as you can see in these pictures. This is the second of the two floors of the transition. The one in the middle is the new intermediate column, with the diagonal rebar used to transfer the weight to the other two columns, that go to the ground, at both sides.
Thanks for the info

CCs77 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #6892
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Could still be bolted to the floors. They cannot bolt it to the outside, because they probably don't want to damage the concrete surface.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6893
CCs77

Yes, I think it is bolted to the floors. The can't bolt it to the outside not to damage the concrete. But they coul bolt it to the slab or the superior face of the beam, which will have any floor covering.
Old April 15th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6894
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Could still be bolted to the floors. They cannot bolt it to the outside, because they probably don't want to damage the concrete surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Yes, I think it is bolted to the floors. The can't bolt it to the outside not to damage the concrete. But they coul bolt it to the slab or the superior face of the beam, which will have any floor covering.
Sorry, I meant attachment of the bracket to the tower crane. I don't see any bolts on the bracket itself - just those thin cables seem to be supporting it.
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #6895
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Hey guys, I just want the forum to know that I will be attempting to create a close to life replica of 432 Park Avenue in Minecraft, since the design is simple enough it shouldn't be too hard to do.

alheaine, Kanto liked this post
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #6896
CCs77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbronx View Post
Sorry, I meant attachment of the bracket to the tower crane. I don't see any bolts on the bracket itself - just those thin cables seem to be supporting it.
Oh yes, I didn't notice that. It could be what you say, but it also could be that those cables are just to hang the piece when they were installing (and they let them there) And that bracket is bolted with those seen above, I guess must be the last.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old April 16th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6897
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

It can't be bolted because when crane swings and moves this has to have freedom to move up and down.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6898
Jennette

Likes (Received): 425

Does any body else feel like it should of been 432 m. just for the sake of the avenue?
sogıslarga küş bergen
köptü körgen dombıra

Kanto liked this post
Jennette no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6899
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by t94 View Post
Lots of scenarios.

It will be taller than the WTC 1 and ESB's roof height, but shorter than both their antennas. However, WTC 1 is officially taller because it's spire is an integral part of the structure compared to the "temporary" antenna structure of the ESB.

By roof height it would go like this

1. 432 Park
2. WTC 1
3. ESB

By absolute pinnacle it would go like this

1. WTC 1
2. ESB
3. 432 Park

However, the official height comparison would go like this

1. WTC 1
2. 432 Park
3. ESB

Choose what you please.
A minor quibble that is my pet peeve... there is no "official" height. There are many valid ways of comparing buildings. Perhaps what you are referring to is CTBUH's opinion on height to architectural tip. Their politicization or biased ruling on 1WTC has done much to discredit their opinion. Because they are counting the mast on 1WTC, they should also count the masts on other buildings, but they're not. In my opinion, this make their architectural height list completely worthless.

Thankfully, Kanto, the maker of many of the height conparison pics posted to these forums, also prefers roof height comparison.

Kanto, Calvin Coolidge, MontanaGuy liked this post

Last edited by dfiler; April 16th, 2013 at 01:41 PM.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #6900
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
A minor quibble that is my pet peeve... there is no "official" height. There are many valid ways of comparing buildings. Perhaps what you are referring to is CTBUH's opinion on height to architectural tip. Their politicization or biased ruling on 1WTC has done much to discredit their opinion. Because they are counting the mast on 1WTC, they should also count the masts on other buildings, but they're not. In my opinion, this make their architectural height list completely worthless.

Thankfully, Kanto, the maker of many of the height conparison pics posted to these forums, also prefers roof height comparison.
I'm a roof height guy myself, but CTBUH is what make things official and is accepted by builders and architects as official. They have their criteria and if WTC mast is acceptable then it should be counted like Trump International Chicago, NYTimes, Bank of America, Petronas Towers, Chrysler Building, One Liberty Place and so on just to name a few. Therefore it would not be fair to leave out 1 WTC. FYI, they have not made the official decision as they will make it official when the project is completed. I personally have studied their criteria and I believe that they will consider it a spire without a doubt and it will not be political nor biased if counted. IMO, if they leave it out it will be political and biased.

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

CCs77, DinoVabec liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; April 16th, 2013 at 03:01 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall