daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #681
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I never really understood such secretive approach once construction starts. Now that construction has started they no longer need to fear NIMBYies so they really should release some more info

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #682
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

Yeah I don't believe there's any articles online about the construction of 440 and it would be nice if we could know how this wonder is going to be built.
Afterall it would only make sense if they use reenforced concrete on such a tall thin building.

Dirty new yorker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #683
Hull

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFlint1985
It looks like work is well under way and we still have no definite renders besides the one from WSJ
Agreed, I imagine they have lots of other renders, hopefully showing us more detail. The one render released doesn't do it much justice.

Hull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2011, 02:49 AM   #684
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

Nimby in NYC is like a power of the dark side. They can kill a project much better from all points of view than this one. So I can get some of the meaning why such a secret.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #685
RM6721
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

is this seriously going to be bigger than 1WTC? I mean, because of 9/11 there's a lot of symbolism attached to 1WTC's height and design. It's designed to be a landmark building, the "pinnacle" of NYC and America as a whole.

Perhaps the developers of this building are keeping everything a secret because building a purely commercial building bigger than 1WTC might look like an affront to 9/11 victims or something like that?
RM6721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #686
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

No, not at all.

zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #687
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Offhand, I'd say that the original proposal for WTC 1 was an affront to 9/11 victims as it spelled 'cowardice.'

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 01:55 AM   #688
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I 1000% agree with you. The original Freedom Tower was hideous

As to 440 Park, it would be only good if it would be taller than 1WTC. I hope that 1WTC will be soon surpassed in NYC

Old November 5th, 2011, 02:15 AM   #689
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

im raging

bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 11:04 AM   #690
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM6721 View Post
is this seriously going to be bigger than 1WTC? I mean, because of 9/11 there's a lot of symbolism attached to 1WTC's height and design. It's designed to be a landmark building, the "pinnacle" of NYC and America as a whole.

Perhaps the developers of this building are keeping everything a secret because building a purely commercial building bigger than 1WTC might look like an affront to 9/11 victims or something like that?
considering they should have built a taller building than the original WTC in the first place I say it should be taller, just so NY can have another extremely tall building.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #691
INFERNAL ELF

Location: Trondheim Trying to reach Someplace with Skyscrapers
Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM6721 View Post

The Problem with the new WTC 1 is that they wasent bold enough.
If it should have reigned as the tallest building in New York for a longer period of time it must had been planned as a 700m+ instead. Although this would break with the symbolic feet height.

Because people will build higher and higher. And the skyscraper race world wide shows no sign of slowing down neither.

Because all in all it really isent much taller than the old twin towers or the Sears Tower.

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

INFERNAL ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #692
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNAL ELF View Post
If it should have reigned as the tallest building in New York for a longer period of time it must had been planned as a 700m+ instead. Although this would break with the symbolic feet height.

Because people will build higher and higher. And the skyscraper race world wide shows no sign of slowing down neither.

Because all in all it really isent much taller than the old twin towers or the Sears Tower.

I agree, I think the skyscraper race will slow down though, there just isn't enough to support all those buildings, maybe only in a place like NYC where there is high demand.

Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #693
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFERNAL ELF View Post

I 1000000% agree with you. All of the new WTC towers are architectural masterpieces, however their height is a joke. Chinese cities from which 98% of this forum, including me has never heard of build taller buildings than 1WTC. In the old WTC, there was a vision, to boldly rise higher than anybody has risen before. The new WTC is without vision, it is a very shy project which tries to minimize the impact it will have on the skyline. Skyscrapers are skyscrapers because they dominate skylines, not because they hide in them. Larry and the PA should have joined forces and together build a 1WTC that would dwarf Burj Khalifa. Instead all NYC will get are a few buildings which in a decade or two won't even be considered supertalls

Especially their intention to make the roof height of 1WTC only as tall as the North Tower's is an incredible sign of weakness, humiliation and shyness. I am glad that because of one entrance being lower the height rose 1 meter higher, which in my opinion saved the WTC from even more humiliation. I love the new WTC, but it could have been so much better and so incredibly much more impressive and dominating. If 440 park would be taller than 1WTC it would save NYC a lot of humiliation. NYC was the capital of skyscrapers for a century. That's why I find this visionless WTC being such a shock

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #694
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

This thread isn't about the WTC. let's stay on topic please.

kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #695
Dirty new yorker

Likes (Received): 25

If money weren't as big of a factor then undeniably NYC would be a failure, although the rebuilding of the wtc should be an exception. If they want to make a statement of power and perseverance on a universal level, they should have built taller, instead of just restoring the cities symbol of trade to the way it was.

So in other words, nyc's ability to build a more captivating (taller than ever before) building should have been considered for the sake of the u.s. Staying in the skyscraper race like they have been since the industrial revolution

Dirty new yorker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:24 PM   #696
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I 1000000% agree with you. All of the new WTC towers are architectural masterpieces, however their height is a joke. Chinese cities from which 98% of this forum, including me has never heard of build taller buildings than 1WTC. In the old WTC, there was a vision, to boldly rise higher than anybody has risen before. The new WTC is without vision, it is a very shy project which tries to minimize the impact it will have on the skyline. Skyscrapers are skyscrapers because they dominate skylines, not because they hide in them. Larry and the PA should have joined forces and together build a 1WTC that would dwarf Burj Khalifa. Instead all NYC will get are a few buildings which in a decade or two won't even be considered supertalls

Especially their intention to make the roof height of 1WTC only as tall as the North Tower's is an incredible sign of weakness, humiliation and shyness. I am glad that because of one entrance being lower the height rose 1 meter higher, which in my opinion saved the WTC from even more humiliation. I love the new WTC, but it could have been so much better and so incredibly much more impressive and dominating. If 440 park would be taller than 1WTC it would save NYC a lot of humiliation. NYC was the capital of skyscrapers for a century. That's why I find this visionless WTC being such a shock
You have no idea what you're talking about dude.

Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #697
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Poor poor NY... I mean by your definition NY gets humilated by almost every major Chinese city. I'm sure that people in NY are already depressed, everyone is just waiting to move to China because there, every city has now a supertall- it sure must be a great a place to live in!

I strongly advise my fellow New Yorkers to leave their city immediately, or otherwise they'll get humilated.

Poor poor NY...

HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #698
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about dude.
It is your right to disagree with me but you can voice your diagreement without attacking me As to you diagreeing, I think you should take into consideration what Dirty New Yorker said, that the WTC is an important symbol. I'd even say that now it is most probably the most important symbol of the US. It was a symbol before 9/11 and after 9/11 it's symbolic value multiplied. These towers are not just towers, they are the heart of the US. And investing into such a symbol can only be good for the nation.

But, as kingsc said, enough with the WTC stuff here. The WTC topics are there for us to discuss the WTC

Now back to 440. When do you folks think the height will be released? Preparation work is well under way and we still have only one official render

Old November 5th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #699
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

Kanto, he doesn't attack you. He just disagees with what you're saying. And honestly I do too. What is so humiliating about the roof height of 1WTC. There is nothing humiliating about it and I think we should be happy that it even gets this tall during these times. Besides, 440 park Ave being taller than the WTC wouldn't save anything. It would be dumb to build a tasteless box taller than the future icon of the city. You're not making any sense.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #700
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Well, it is everybody's right to disagree with me. I might have misunderstood the true meaning of his words since the meaning of a sentence about somebody not knowing what he does is usualy determined by the tone in which it is said, which in text messaging is impossible. But if I've misunderstood Uaarkson it is my failiure and I would like to apologize if that happened. I have only stated my opinion. There's nothing wrong in disagreeing with me

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall