daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #7121
cantstandya

Likes (Received): 28

anyone know the dimensions of the exterior columns? i've been trying to figure it out based on the few blueprints we have but i'm still having to just guess.

what we do know is that each face is 93' 6" wide, and that its 15' 6" from the top of one slab to the next. horizontally, if the columns are 4' wide then the window openings are 10' 11'', if we subtract 4' from the known height we get a vertical window opening of 11' 6", which is obviously wrong being that the windows are supposed to be square. so suppose the columns are 3' wide instead, then the horizontal width of the window openings are 12' 1", subtract 3' from 15' 6" and we get window opening hieght of 12' 6", still not a perfect square.

here on this drawing we have some measurements next to one of the columns. the column is 60px wide on the face, over to the left next to the bike racks we can see a measurement for 3' 10", it equals 60px as well, so lets now assume the columns are 3' 10", that means the horizontal width of the window openings are 11' 1 5/16" with a remainder of 1/16. now subtract 3' 10" from the height and we get a vertical window openings of 11' 8", again, not square. just encase the pixals are a little off due to quality i tested a width of 3' 11" also, the windows come out 11' 1/8" wide (with a remainder of 1/4") by 11' 7" tall, still not a square.

my last guess is based on this drawing, it shows a width of 10' 6" with a small equal gap on either side, i estimate 3", that would be an opening of 11', 66' for the windows leaves 27' 6" for the columns, making the columns 3' 11 1/8", subtract that from 15' 6", the height, and the windowing opening height is about 11' 7", still no square.

unless the fault in my thinking is that the windows are in fact perfect squares, which is just something i've assumed, maybe they're not.

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham liked this post
cantstandya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #7122
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

all these non-metric figures are making my brain hurt

DinoVabec, seb.nl, Citystyle liked this post
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7123
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Rodent View Post
If it's like the one on One57, then according to this article:
http://enr.construction.com/products...-manhattan.asp
that elevator can lift up to 7000 lbs.
Thanks for the info
Old April 30th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7124
dinesh11

Likes (Received): 0

Really all the buildings are awesome...
dinesh11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #7125
wukikimonkey

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
Wow, that may be able to carry Honey Boo-Boo's mom up.

You know I would have been just fine going the rest of my life without seeing that.

enjoi, L.A.F.2., Kanto liked this post
wukikimonkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #7126
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29152

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Gosh, I didn't even notice the jump. Thanks for pointing it out.

Should be a big pour of the floor tomorrow and lifting of outer column forms I think.
looks like they are pouring the floor at the moment:
[IMG]http://i39.************/52ap8h.jpg[/IMG]
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #7127
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Rise of The Super Towers: The Next Big Thing In Luxury Housing
http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...uxury-housing/

Quote:
The residential tower under construction at 432 Park Avenue in Manhattan will have plenty of opulent amenities to draw the moneyed crowd: The units, which start at $7 million, feature private elevator landings, 12.5-foot ceilings, separate servant entrances, heated bathroom floors and the option to buy additional climate-controlled wine cellars and guest apartments. The building will have a 75-foot-long pool, a private restaurant for residents, room service and catering, even chauffeur service. But for all of the over-the-top features of the Rafael Vinoly-designed tower, the one sure to get the most attention will be its height.

432 Park Ave will jut 1,396 feet into the air over midtown Manhattan upon completion in 2015. At that lofty height, the building, developed by CIM Group and Macklowe Properties, will be New York City’s third-tallest behind One World Trade Center and the Empire State Building. It will also become the Western Hemisphere’s tallest residential tower, eclipsing the 870-foot rental tower New York by Gehry in Lower Manhattan, Midtown’s up-and-coming 1,004-foot One57, and Chicago’s 1,389-foot (spire included) Trump International Hotel and Tower.

“People want views. This will be a game-changer for the upper echelon of New York,” asserts Jarrod Guy Randolph, a luxury real estate broker with CORE in New York who has toured the sales center, which has been kept under wraps since its discreet opening in March.

432 Park Ave is the latest example of a race skyward among luxury residential developers. With the housing market in recovery mode, developers are taking multifamily buildings to staggering new heights, vying for the title of tallest tower and the prestige that translate into larger returns on investment while delivering the breathtaking views buyers are seeking. “What developers are looking to do is set themselves apart,” notes Randolph. “They are doing this because they can build that tall and capitalize on the land.”

In the past, most of the world’s tallest buildings were erected to provide office space, like Chicago’s Willis Tower and the Empire State Building. The shift toward high-rise dwelling started about 15 years ago, according to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, as interest revived in living in city centers. The 9/11 attacks dampened the nascent trend – but only for a time. As the housing bubble inflated, dozens of residential high rises began popping up in major U.S. cities. New construction ground to a near-halt as the bubble burst and recession ensued, but now, as developers begin to bring projects back online, their buildings – commonly luxury and super luxury condo towers geared toward cash-flush global buyers — are getting even taller.

In New York City, where a finite amount of land and a huge population have made vertical living common, the race to build the highest homes has heated up. For every tall residential tower that begins construction, another boasting more stories at higher feet enters the approval process. Once finished, the glass megalith One57 will become the city’s tallest residential tower with a penthouse encompassing the 89th and 90th floors that is in contract for more than $90 million. One57 will snatch the tallest title from New York by Gehry, where the top units of the 76-story rental building go for $45,000 per month. 432 Park Ave will stand 96 stories, with penthouses that are being marketed for $95 million. In November, One57 developer Extell submitted a permit application with the city to erect a 1,550-foot tower off of 57th Street that will be designed by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, the architects of the world tallest building, the Burj Khalifa.
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #7128
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post

Thanks for catching this. Always wanted to see the transition levels from the cam, and had been disappointed that the camera moved up before the cocoon did.

It's interesting that they used the architectural concrete for two of the small columns at the transition. There is a big difference between it and the normal concrete.

I'm also glad you got that shot... I wish they would zoom the camera out instead of panning up, so we could see the reveal down below.
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #7129
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbronx View Post
I'm also glad you got that shot... I wish they would zoom the camera out instead of panning up, so we could see the reveal down below.
I personally hope they just move the camera a few floors up. Not sure if it needs an open-air balcony or not. There's a rather tall hotel across the street which could keep track of the progress for a while until the building gets too tall.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 02:21 PM   #7130
Rich-E36

Likes (Received): 5

They should put a wide angle camera on one of the cranes. Also noticed on park cam the crane operators now have a walkway sat on the ties to gain access.
Rich-E36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM   #7131
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://www.forbes.com/sites/morganbr...uxury-housing/

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/morganbrenn...Properties.jpg

Love this tower! Another classy building for New York!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:35 PM   #7132
AndyMEng

Likes (Received): 52

Pouring!

They're moving ahead with the next floor pour!

Does anyone else notice the port-o-potty is surrounded by concrete at the moment? Seems risky

http://www.432parkavenue.com/new-con...in-NYC/#video2
AndyMEng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:12 PM   #7133
walrus357

Likes (Received): 1138

iamtheSTIG, Kanto liked this post
walrus357 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:10 PM   #7134
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

New update:

http://www.432parkavenue.com/new-con...res/2013/1633/
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:12 PM   #7135
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Note concrete pump pipes here.

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:16 PM   #7136
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Dense, denser, New York.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7137
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29152

True. That is a very cool shot btw.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 08:31 PM   #7138
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Great, pics from inside the lobby.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:54 PM   #7139
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

Awesome shots, looks very massive from the inside!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:13 PM   #7140
BrooklynFlyGuy

Likes (Received): 210

Sorta kinda cool thing just happened...

So, I'm doing my usual walk by 432 today and as I'm watching my now-familiar crew guys do their thing, up pulls a chauffeur-driven Benz. And who steps out but none other than Harry Macklowe! So you know I had to turn off the iPod and switch to camera mode ... I introduced myself, and wouldn't ya know it, he's actually quite friendly. I congratulated him on such a remarkable building he's blessing the Manhattan skyline with, then asked if I could take a few shots of him. I thanked him and he thanked me, and I kept it moving, leaving him to continue his tour of what is now without question my favorite project in midtown. I'll post the pix tonight...

Last edited by BrooklynFlyGuy; May 2nd, 2013 at 07:03 AM.
BrooklynFlyGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall