daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2013, 10:39 PM   #7141
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

They jumped all the forms again today.

[IMG]http://i40.************/r9obus.png[/IMG]

Btw, it already appears as quite a tall building, I bet it would've had quite some impact in a lot of cities.
Here it is visible that it is nearly as tall as the Bank of Montreal Building to the left ( 70m ), and it will surpass it soon.

[IMG]http://i42.************/140ix43.png[/IMG]
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:49 PM   #7142
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5173

Could someone provide what floor and height they're at right now? Thanks!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:51 PM   #7143
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Note concrete pump pipes here.

Thanks for pointing that out.... I missed that. Are you sure that's not the riser for the sprinkler system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFlyGuy View Post
So, I'm doing my usual walk by 432 today and as I'm watching my now-familiar crew guys do their thing, up pulls a chauffeur-driven Benz. And who steps out but none other than Harry Macklowe! So you know I had to turn off the iPod and switch to camera mold ... I introduced myself, and wouldn't ya know it, he's actually quite friendly. I congratulated him on such a remarkable building he's blessing the Manhattan skyline with, then asked if I could take a few shots of him. I thanked him and he thanked me, and I kept it moving, leaving him to continue his tour of what is now without question my favorite project in midtown. I'll post the pix tonight...
That is cool... Hope you included yourself in the pic.
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:05 PM   #7144
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbronx View Post
Thanks for pointing that out.... I missed that. Are you sure that's not the riser for the sprinkler system?
99% sure it's concrete pump. This staircase looks like temporary construction staircase. Sprinkler system is built in the core along with the permanent staircase.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:25 PM   #7145
ScanTron
ScanTron

Likes (Received): 159

Can't wait to see the windows being installed. Gives a new meaning to the concept of a 'picture window.' And recessed enough for some seating to boot.
ScanTron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:47 PM   #7146
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Architecture review: Raphael Vinoly’s 432 Park is the new king of the hil
http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/05/...g-of-the-hill/

Quote:
The finishing touches are being placed on Extell Development’s 1,005-foot One57 on West 57th Street. But like the Chrysler Building — which was the world’s tallest building in 1930, but held that title for a mere 11 months before the Empire State Building came along — One57 will soon be replaced as the city’s (and hemisphere’s) tallest residential tower by 432 Park Avenue.

Developed by Harry Macklowe and the CIM Group over what was once the Drake Hotel on the northwest corner of Park and 56th Street, 432 Park is set to rise 1,395 feet and will alter the skyline even more than One57 has. Indeed, when completed, 432 Park will be, quite possibly, the tallest building in the city — One World Trade Center will rise 1,776 feet but that is including its antenna. Shorn of the antenna, it is only 1,368.

The footprint of this East Side tower — which, according to the sales office, will have a little over 100 condo units ranging in size from 2,600 to 8,200 square feet — is actually L-shaped. It begins on Park and 56th Street and then winds its way around to the mid-block section of 57th between Park and Madison avenues. (The building, which is slated to be completed in 2015, will have an entrance on 56th Street. On 57th Street, there will be a lower-lying structure for retail that will extend from the street back to the tower.)
The tower’s design was conceived by Rafael Viñoly, and although unauthorized renderings have been floating around for a while now, the developer only officially released renderings of the structure in March. Those renderings confirm earlier impressions, which were highly promising.

Born in Uruguay and raised in Argentina, Viñoly has had a distinguished career in New York City. In 2003, he was runner-up to Daniel Libeskind in designing the master plan for the World Trade Center site. Some of his past projects include the Brooklyn Children’s Museum, the Bronx County Hall of Justice, Jazz at Lincoln Center and the City College of New York’s Spitzer School of Architecture, Urban Design and Landscape Architecture.

So far, however, he’s better known for his institutional work than for his residential towers, which means that 432 Park is (at least in New York) something of a departure for him.

Most architects’ renderings, of course, seek to reveal a prospective building in the most favorable light. In one of the most telling renderings for 432 Park, however, you see nothing more than a marble ledge, two metallic seats, a coffee cup and a croissant on a simple white plate. Beyond, and slightly below, disappearing into the ether of a Manhattan morning, is the Empire State Building, and farther south, the various towers of the reborn World Trade Center. In the greatest coup de théâtre of all, however, you see the spire of the Chrysler Building — which, according to the rendering, barely rises to the level of the croissant. This, more than any of the other renderings, is the money shot, the one that sends the blood of Manhattanites racing, not to mention the pulse of moneyed foreigners looking for a piece of real estate in which to invest.

In other images, we see the building itself, and if the renderings are accurate, it is a thing of beauty, far surpassing the plodding gaucheries of Christian de Portzamparc’s One57.

Recalling a conceptualist sculpture by artist Sol Lewitt, it rises up as a sequence of perfectly square modules along its entire height, without any of the distinction between base, shaft or summit that is the norm with more traditional skyscrapers. Other than what looks to be two-story mechanical cores placed at intervals every 12 floors, there is nothing to give a sense of scale to the building. The sense of pure geometry, the almost polemical denial of scale, only enhances the sense of immensity. As it rises, 432 Park asserts itself like a cross between a bean-pole and a No. 2 Ticonderoga, while the forest of high-rises that have defined Midtown for the past three generations barely seems to come up to its knees. There is beauty in that freakish thinness, in the almost-absurd notion that something so slight could rise so high with so little visible support.

Even more revolutionary than the height, however, is that it’s a residential tower. It would be astounding enough to work 1,400 feet above Manhattan, but to awaken there would be an almost metaphysical experience. Or so the developers hope. And if they are right, then the topmost apartment will represent a trophy so tempting that its price will dwarf any of the fabled tallies for 15 Central Park West (Sandy Weill’s former penthouse there, of course, sold to Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev for $88 million) and One57 (where a unit is reportedly in contract for $90 million).

This reinvention of the typology of the skyscraper for residential use is a result, in Manhattan, of the desire — which began with the colonizing of Soho in the 1980s — of younger buyers, in their attraction to centers of art and culture, to inhabit areas of the city that had originally been zoned for commercial use.

But that cannot be the entire explanation for buildings like 432 Park and One57. There are other residential buildings in their vicinity, some of them quite tall, like Cesar Pelli’s Carnegie Hall Tower, at 152 West 57th Street. Nor is the skyscraper’s reinvention a question of technology, since the engineering skills that will eventually create 432 Park are not greatly different from those that gave us the Empire State Building more than 80 years ago.

This ambition — combined with the Bloomberg administration’s massive rezoning efforts — has resulted in condo towers taller than anything that has been seen here or anywhere else.

If 432 Park, which will consist of glass cladding over a concrete core, turns out as well as its renderings promise, it will be perhaps the defining landmark north of the Financial District — at least when viewed from north of 59th Street, where it will rise in glorious isolation above the lowlier skyscrapers, including One57, that now define the skyline of Central Park South.

And together with One Madison Park — the perilously thin Cetra/Ruddy-designed tower that’s been unfairly maligned — 432 Park suggests that finally, after all the hype about starchitects coming to the Big Apple, some genuinely distinguished architecture is being created once again in Manhattan.

RobertWalpole, Kanto liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:53 AM   #7147
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4188

The concrete on this looks incredibly clean! Not one typical water stain to be found!

[IMG]image hosted on flickr
432 Park by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

432 Park on Park Avenue by towerpower123, on Flickr[/IMG]

432 Park, the Dancing Tower!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/

desertpunk, Swiddle liked this post
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #7148
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Awesome shots! :cheers;

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 03:35 AM   #7149
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Architecture review: Raphael Vinoly’s 432 Park is the new king of the hill

New York YIMBY

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:45 AM   #7150
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5260

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
It must be an extreme pain in the ass walking there... Excellent pictures

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #7151
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Those black and white photos really show the sheer mass of the columns. I can't believe I was afraid of the thing tipping over.

DinoVabec liked this post
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:09 AM   #7152
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Can't quite tell where the worksite is in that photo, I suppose another 200ft we won't mistake it.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:23 AM   #7153
CNTower246810
Call me TKD

Likes (Received): 694

??? That is a render, of course your not going to see the work site? It is also creating considerable lag, could you please just add a link or just take off the quote, you must have been referring to another photo.
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:28 AM   #7154
BrooklynFlyGuy

Likes (Received): 210

Pix from 5/1/2013...

Happened upon the site today when Harry Macklowe pulled up to inspect the site. Oh yeah, then I thanked him for the tower ... and the webcams.

image hosted on flickr

432Park - 5/1/2013 by BrooklynFlyGuy, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:11 AM   #7155
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5173

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFlyGuy View Post
Happened upon the site today when Harry Macklowe pulled up to inspect the site. Oh yeah, then I thanked him for the tower ... and the webcams.
That's VERY cool! Thanks!
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7156
Vincen1

Likes (Received): 168

I could make non-funny jokes about it, but I'm not
But how is it possible that so many NYC construction workers look so fat. It's not like they're doing office jobs.
Vincen1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:51 PM   #7157
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5338

Great pics BFG, you are a lucky man, meeting HM and witness the lifting of one of those massive rebar structures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincen1 View Post

But how is it possible that so many NYC construction workers look so fat. It's not like they're doing office jobs.
Maybe because thay aren't underfed slaves, who work for a pittance.

Kanto liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM   #7158
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

BrooklynFlyGuy,

Since you work on the site, do you know when they will start installing the glass.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7159
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
BrooklynFlyGuy,

Since you work on the site, do you know when they will start installing the glass.
Someone mentioned not so long ago that first glass should be on the building in a month or so..So pretty fast.

Btw. that old guy next to Harry, with the stick and fancy car, personal driver, suit and tie and money, coming to see his building, it's pure gotham style. It's like scene from the Batman cartoon I remember we were watching as kids.
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7160
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Could someone provide what floor and height they're at right now? Thanks!
Currently the building is 66 meters or 217 feet tall and the top floor is floor 9, which is to be the last double floor in the bottom section of the building

Btw, here are the blueprints showing the floors:

spectre000 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall