daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 28th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #7481
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

There's one glass panel without the protective film now installed.

Highcliff liked this post
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7482
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Yes And just saw the first columns of the new floor being placed.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #7483
GeoDude
GeoDude

Likes (Received): 206

walked by yesterday 5/27

@Chaserino
Architecture & Travel

USA - Canada - Mexico - Costa Rica - Brazil - Peru - Australia - New Zealand - China - England - France - Netherlands - Spain - Italy - Germany - Monaco - Vatican City - Czech Republic - Hungary - Turkey - Denmark - Sweden - Morocco - Portugal - Switzerland - Greece - Austria - Liechtenstein - Cyprus - Croatia - Belgium - Slovakia - United Arab Emirates - Poland - Ukraine - Romania - Ireland - Malta - Vietnam - Myanmar - Japan - India - Slovenia - South Africa - Zimbabwe - Zambia - Botswana - Israel
GeoDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7484
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

they seem to be pouring the core, so, tomorrow we should expect a core raise.

Kanto liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7485
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Can't wait to update my diagram. It's rising so quickly now that the floors got standardized

Highcliff, iamtheSTIG liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:49 PM   #7486
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

New interior renderings?
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #7487
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

suits new york very well.
nycaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:37 AM   #7488
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

Not sure how to embed this video, but it's a lovely little chat with Raphael Viñoly about the concepts behind this tower, with a great 3D render about halfway through that illustrates the heights of other major buildings in relation to the tower. And a fantastic lighting-up scale model that I'd love to park in my apartment somewhere.

Here's the link: Wallpaper.com

He's a charming dude.

sgollis liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:48 AM   #7489
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

Re: the video, I find it pretty funny -- given how much fervor there is on these forums about height -- that the architect himself misquotes the height of his own tower. At the end of the day, it's not really that important to him.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #7490
tim1807
faster than buildings

Interesting to see that they only use the roof height of the Chrysler Building, and I was confused with the Metlife Tower being 213m until I realized they mean the Metropolitan Life Tower.

Last edited by tim1807; May 29th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7491
Piotrek00
semper invicta

Likes (Received): 5254

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post

New interior renderings?
by ?

iamtheSTIG, Andre_idol, wtcforever liked this post
Piotrek00 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:25 AM   #7492
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Interesting to see that they only use the roof height of the Chrysler Building, and I was confused with the Metlife Tower being 213m until I realized they mean the Metropolitan Life Tower.
There's actually something weird about the Chrysler Building that is very seldom mentioned on here to my surprise. Robert's about the only one who I can recall talking about it. The Chrysler Building's roof height is technically 1,046 feet. If you go inside it, you'll see that the H.O.F. is just under 900 feet (around 898 feet). From there, a system of ladders and original metal platforms from the construction still needed occasionally for maintenance go all the way up to the building's 925 foot height originally planned roof to a small platform about the size of about a 1/2 bathroom. If you look up from there, you'll see that the spire is hollow a good ways up from there. It's really similar to going inside an old Gothic tower with vaulted ceilings radiating from the tip at about 5-10 degree angles toward the ground. Although 99% of people consider the roof to be at 925 feet (including myself), when getting technical it goes all the way up to the tip of the hollow mast, we'll call it, totaling a height of 1,046 feet.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #7493
tim1807
faster than buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
There's actually something weird about the Chrysler Building that is very seldom mentioned on here to my surprise. Robert's about the only one who I can recall talking about it. The Chrysler Building's roof height is technically 1,046 feet. If you go inside it, you'll see that the H.O.F. is just under 900 feet (around 898 feet). From there, a system of ladders and original metal platforms from the construction still needed occasionally for maintenance go all the way up to the building's 925 foot height originally planned roof to a small platform about the size of about a 1/2 bathroom. If you look up from there, you'll see that the spire is hollow a good ways up from there. It's really similar to going inside an old Gothic tower with vaulted ceilings radiating from the tip at about 5-10 degree angles toward the ground. Although 99% of people consider the roof to be at 925 feet (including myself), when getting technical it goes all the way up to the tip of the hollow mast, we'll call it, totaling a height of 1,046 feet.
Yes I also always use the total height but I didn't want to offend someone like Kanto

L.A.F.2. liked this post
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:37 AM   #7494
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

What kind of manic would buy a seven block bookcase to put in a six block across tower?

Judazzz, MarshallKnight liked this post
Funkyskunk2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #7495
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Yes I also always use the total height but I didn't want to offend someone like Kanto
I wasn't talking about total height. I was talking about roof height.
Old May 29th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #7496
tim1807
faster than buildings

I know but even if I count roof height I use the total height of CB, for the same reason you mentioned.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:01 AM   #7497
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Yeah, I'm the same way. The roof looks like it ends at 925, so that's where I'm putting it.
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7498
nycaddict

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Notice the guy in a suit standing, with a very casual attitude, on the beam of the first floor.

Quote:
Billionaire developer Harry Macklowe showed off his artsy/daredevil streak in a recent photoshoot for ultra-tall condo project 432 Park Avenue.

Editorial and corporate photographer Robert Caplin took a portrait of Macklowe for a New York Times article on the 96-story project, which sold a penthouse for $95 million.

Caplin started the shoot with a simple photo of Macklowe in front of the in-progress building, before getting more creative:

“I started discussing my idea of placing Mr. Macklowe onto the 2nd story window frame outside the edifice of the building, which was a 10-story shell at the time,”
Caplin wrote in his blog. As photographer and subject walked deeper into the construction site, they realized they could only get Macklowe onto the second story by using a mechanical lift from street level.

While waiting for the site boss to bring around the lift, Macklowe decided to go full non-helmet at the active construction site (kids and non-billionaires, don’t try this at home): “Harry walked around the site to evaluate progress while wearing no safety gear, causing a bit of a scene,” Caplin wrote.

Enjoy the photographs below from Caplin’s site, and check out the full shoot here. If you’re hankering for more Macklowe, read our cinematic take on his other projects, 150 East 72nd Street and 737 Park Avenue.

MYSTERY SOLVED! haha
Old May 29th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #7499
1Filipe1
BANNED

Likes (Received): 319

96 story's the article says

L.A.F.2. liked this post
1Filipe1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2013, 06:45 AM   #7500
ABQ_X-PAT
A passion for Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 115

Owner developer or not...

... I thought walking around in an active, and in this case major construction site without safety equipment was a major violation with OSHA? (For people not in the United States OSHA stands for Occupational Safety Health Administration and regulates workplace safety amongst other things... it is a agency of the federal government)...

Also, when this cat stands on one of the top window sections in a suit I will be seriously more impressed!
ABQ_X-PAT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall