daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7661
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3588

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Proportionally inept?
That's interesting. The proportions are what I find most striking about it. Although if you're just referring to its relationship to the surrounding towers, I get that. It's nearly twice as tall as everything in the immediate vicinity, and I think if that were to remain the case in the long term, it would be ultimately disappointing.

But that'll change soon, with the addition of the remaining 57th Street supertalls, as well as a couple more towers (at least one potentially very tall) proposed nearby on the Upper East Side.

My hope is that we'll get the 1550ft+ version of 225 w57th, with a killer design, and that can be the Sears to 432P's Aon.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:21 PM   #7662
Coddington
... Coddi ...

Likes (Received): 262

@Olly99 You should present your model in the "scale models" section (at the bottom of the first page).

Twitter: @NonoTwitte
Coddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #7663
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly99 View Post
My version of 432 Parkavenue.Completed by 2016, making it with a planned height of 426 meters, the second tallest building in the city and one of the tallest to be globally.Scale 1:650.
a) I think I like yours better.
b) God bless Legos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
That's interesting. The proportions are what I find most striking about it. Although if you're just referring to its relationship to the surrounding towers, I get that. It's nearly twice as tall as everything in the immediate vicinity, and I think if that were to remain the case in the long term, it would be ultimately disappointing.
I could care less about the surroundings, TBH, though perhaps if this thing were hidden from public view I'd be less opposed. Structurally and functionally I appreciate what they've conceived and, as I've said before, I get it. I simply disagree with the execution of the monolithtic form (lack of a crown, variation, etc) and dread its impact on the skyline. A shorter version I may have well obliged because everything is then taken in at a closer scale and the monotony isn't as forced. At this height it is, to me, simply a base form extrapolated more than necessary save for the simple fact that they could. I shudder to think that they'd have gone higher still if able to so.

But that's just me.

I do appreciate the material impacts, thus far, and as I've said I think they'll do a great job maximizing the interior by taking in all the luscious views. Should be a great building to look out of, just not at!

Cheers.

MarshallKnight liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #7664
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Given the microbial size of the floors I should hope so. Surely that was part of the appeal of this design to the developer, knowing that construction costs should be marginally low given the paucity of material used and the quick turn around in construction. Wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be one of the most profitable building in NYC history.
This will likely be quite profitable. But that is because it a residential building for millionaires and billionaires, not because it uses little material.

In fact, the exact opposite is true, it uses an extremely high amount of material per square foot of usable floor space. Tall skinny buildings require far more material to achieve the same floor space as shorter buildings with larger floor plates.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 03:03 AM   #7665
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

The lego model but with slightly wider windows would have been the perfect look for this building. It's just the window pattern I don't like in the actual tower. The horizontal bars would have given it some reference points to truly appreciate its height, while still keeping the purity and cleanliness of the modernist philosophy, and it's topped off by something to signal the end the main facade, which makes it look even taller. (although if those grey blocks on top were white it would have been even better)

For me, a good international modernist building will incorporate either a vertical emphasis or a horizontal emphasis. While the shape emphasizes verticality, the perfectly square windows in a grid cancel it out, which isn't good.

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; June 14th, 2013 at 03:08 AM.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #7666
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5514

I used to hate this project but now I love it!
Old June 14th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #7667
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
This will likely be quite profitable. But that is because it a residential building for millionaires and billionaires, not because it uses little material.
True, but it also does so in a very premium, minimalist manner. Space is maximized, or better yet optimized, for the residents. Plus the repetition of the simple pattern is obviously going to make for a streamline and repetitious construction process compared to anything with wild variations and a dynamic design. Second verse, same as the first and all that.
Quote:
In fact, the exact opposite is true, it uses an extremely high amount of material per square foot of usable floor space. Tall skinny buildings require far more material to achieve the same floor space as shorter buildings with larger floor plates.
I meant in comparison to a more conventionally sized (by floor area) tower for that site, not as opposed to building the same square footage @ 10-15 stories.
Old June 14th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7668
MattTheTubaGuy
Skyscrapers to the stars

Likes (Received): 647

Nice LEGO model Olly
A couple of thoughts: A more accurate cladding could be 1x1 tiles. clear for windows and maybe grey for the mech floors. Also, the sections should be 6 tiles (12 studs) high rather than 5. Each stud is equivalent to one floor, and the sections are 12 floors high with 2 floor high mech floors.

Once again, great job. with a little bit of tweaking, it could probably be mistaken for one of the official architecture series!

Complete and T/O Supertalls Map
U/C Supertalls Map
Prep and O/H Supertalls Map
All Supertalls map!

Google Earth map (WIP)

ZZ-II's World Supertalls List

view my buildings made on Maya
MattTheTubaGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2013, 06:09 PM   #7669
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Plenty of action on site today. Another window has been placed on the 56th Street side, and cranes appear to be lifting forms. A core pour is taking place right now as well.

L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM   #7670
King of Construction
skyscraperized

Likes (Received): 254

New update on 432 Park by Richard Berenholtz:

Enjoy

Visited countries: Austria-Belgium-Bosnia & Herzegovina-Bulgaria-Canada-Croatia-Czech Republic-England-France-Germany-Greece-Hong Kong-Italy-Liechtenstein- Luxembourg
Malaysia-Montenegro-Morocco-the Netherlands-Poland-Serbia-Singapore-Spain- Switzerland-Turkey-United Arab Emirates-United States of America-Wales

Highcliff, Swiddle, Sirius2.0 liked this post

Last edited by King of Construction; June 15th, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
King of Construction no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 05:59 PM   #7671
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Plenty of rebar going in around the perimeter right now. Core pour still going on this morning. Exterior elevator on 56th Street side is pretty visible now.

Old June 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #7672
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Soon, very soon ...

I have a feeling this will look immensely tall, even taller than 1WTC.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #7673
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

What appears to be the perimeter of floor number 15 is now complete. I'm not positive, as I had to use reference points and combine the 56th and Park cam views to get that number. We're moving along nicely anyhow.

Old June 16th, 2013, 03:45 AM   #7674
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Wasn't around the last 3 weeks,, anybody see the pool being installed? If so, was it fiberglass or did they make it concrete? If so can somebody repost a pic, or leave a photo number? That's what I was really hoping to see.
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #7675
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
What appears to be the perimeter of floor number 15 is now complete. I'm not positive, as I had to use reference points and combine the 56th and Park cam views to get that number. We're moving along nicely anyhow.
Not all tiers constitute one floor. Some floors are two tiers in height. I think we're completing the deck of Floor 11 at the moment.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #7676
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Ah, yes, I see. Probably should have thought of that on my own.

Old June 17th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #7677
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4514

They're raising the core!

600West218 liked this post
iamtheSTIG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #7678
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Indeed. That is good.

ALso, there are a whole bunch of guys on the top of the green building. Wonder what that is about?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #7679
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

There are a bunch of men in a little box on the building's right side from the 57th Street cam. Is it an external elevator or something else?

Old June 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM   #7680
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Oh, now I see. Yeah, it's an external elevator. Workers are packed in on that thing, though.

NYCrulz, Highcliff liked this post

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall