daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #7941
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Sometimes they count it sometimes they don't. Like for NY Times Tower. Sometimes they don't list it at all (burj). It's clear they don't treat it seriously and don't have clear definition for it. But the fact they don't doesn't make you ruling any more definitive nor official.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #7942
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
There is also a crane halfway between 432 park and one 57. To which project does that belong?
Could be the Baccarat Hotel...(?)
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #7943
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Sometimes they count it sometimes they don't. Like for NY Times Tower. Sometimes they don't list it at all (burj). It's clear they don't treat it seriously and don't have clear definition for it. But the fact they don't doesn't make you ruling any more definitive nor official.
Nice, so you're telling me that I should always say "In my opinion" even when it isn't appropriate but you have no problems saying your pure opinions as rock solid facts. Where is it written that SSP data gatherers don't take it seriously? That's purely your opinion

And btw, NYTT has an open air lattice parapet, not a solid parapet. Open air lattice parapets, just like open air lattice crowns aren't part of roof height. Only solid parapets and solid crowns are part of roof height
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #7944
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Nice, so you're telling me that I should always say "In my opinion" even when it isn't appropriate but you have no problems saying your pure opinions as rock solid facts. Where is it written that SSP data gatherers don't take it seriously? That's purely your opinion
Yeah well, they don't even list for some buildings at all. That's quite good indication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
And btw, NYTT has an open air lattice parapet, not a solid parapet. Open air lattice parapets, just like open air lattice crowns aren't part of roof height. Only solid parapets and solid crowns are part of roof height
Oh I thought in you'r opinion it would look "like a part of a building". So basically some elements sticking out are counted and some don't. Confusing but anyway. Here's the idea. Go to the ssp staff and convince them to list roof height for all buildings with your system. They should be willing to since they don't use any concrete system now. And also this way your system would gain some respect and recognition.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:19 PM   #7945
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yup, I actually really plan to pursue roof height outside of this forum, to promote it and try to get it back into the listing of the CTBUH and make it official again. However, I first want to get my degree in structural engineering. In my opinion such a roof height movement should be led by somebody who is a full part of the engineering and architectural community

My roof height crusade has started on this forum, but it sure as hell won't end here

For anybody who is interested in my roof height project, it can be found here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1630487

bigreach liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #7946
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

You know, I really couldn't fathom many things as boring as this tower. Then I read the past couple pages...

MarshallKnight liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #7947
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

The core jumped today!

Perimeter is being poured too. Two concrete trucks and 4 crane sections are on the 56th Street side.

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7948
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Awesome news. I've updated my diagram, the building is currently 109 meters or 357 feet tall

Roof height used below

Old July 10th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #7949
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
You know, I really couldn't fathom many things as boring as this tower. Then I read the past couple pages...
Maybe you want a crown on top like the tacky pencils in Dubai, I suppose? Maybe a bit of random cladding here and there?

MarshallKnight, hunser liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #7950
Dave-in-Toronto

Likes (Received): 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
hey all. i was at my friends place last weekend and i could just barely make out the crane! here are two photos. it's really difficult to tell in my crappy iphone pictures but you could clearly see it in person. i can't wait to see it from this angle once it progresses a little more.

this is from 91st and Central Park West.

I think you deserve an award for finding this building in that sea of other buildings in your picture! Good job.
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #7951
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

You know who is not going to be happy in a couple months? The Four Seasons. Their Ty Warner penthouse is one of the most luxurious and expensive lodgings in NYC, largely because of the views. But imagine this...

...staring directly into a solid wall of concrete and glass across the street. Better book your $34,000/night stay now, while the view is still great. Or better yet, book it at Christmas, and demand an "obstruction discount."

Picture from the Four Seasons site.

earthbuilder liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 04:14 AM   #7952
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post

Maybe you want a crown on top like the tacky pencils in Dubai, I suppose? Maybe a bit of random cladding here and there?
Good heavens, no. Just snickering at the haggling over the definition of a roof!

MarshallKnight liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #7953
pieterpieter

Likes (Received): 12

Cool concept! Robert Waspole. I love the simplicity of the design.
Old July 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7954
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Originally posted by Vertical_Gotham

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/07/...2-park-avenue/

Macklowe, CIM plan another $85M penthouse at 432 Park
Developers have chopped total units while boosting overall price to $2.89B

July 09, 2013 04:00PM
By Adam Pincus

Quote:
Not content to simply break the record for the tallest residential tower in New York City, the developers of 432 Park Avenue are seeking to further capitalize on the project’s height. Macklowe Properties and California-based CIM Group, which are jointly developing the luxury condominiums, want to slice the top-floor penthouse into two units atop the 1,396-foot-tall building, according to plans filed with the New York Attorney General’s office.
Additionally, the developers plan to cut the number of apartments to 125 units from 141 units, while increasing the total sale price to $2.892 billion from $2.875 billion, the plans show...

The overall height of the Rafael Vinoly-designed tower, which is still under construction, remains the same — albeit with an additional floor. The total amount of residential space will grow to 412,637 square feet, up from 405,190 square feet in the April filing, the latest amendment reveals.
The developers created the new 96th floor by apparently using extra high ceilings in the former 95th floor unit.

[...]
So according to this article the tower has gained one floor. Floor count should be changed to 90.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #7955
Turbosnail

Likes (Received): 266

The amount of sway on this tower in high winds must be phenomenal - looks like the thing might snap!
Turbosnail no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #7956
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28165

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Originally posted by Vertical_Gotham

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/07/...2-park-avenue/

Macklowe, CIM plan another $85M penthouse at 432 Park
Developers have chopped total units while boosting overall price to $2.89B

July 09, 2013 04:00PM
By Adam Pincus

So according to this article the tower has gained one floor. Floor count should be changed to 90.
Apparently there are even 96, but mechanical floors will probably not be counted?

Skyscrapercitirocks liked this post
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM   #7957
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Offereins View Post
Apparently there are even 96, but mechanical floors will probably not be counted?
Yeah you' re right, the DOB papers show 96 floors. Thread title should be changed then.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #7958
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosnail View Post
The amount of sway on this tower in high winds must be phenomenal - looks like the thing might snap!
That's why it'll gonna have a tuned mass dampener

Skyscrapercitirocks liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #7959
Skyscrapercitirocks
8anned

Likes (Received): 131

Like Taipei 101's?
I notice school, xing, lane, written on streets of new york. What does that means?

Steven Wright

Kanto liked this post
Skyscrapercitirocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #7960
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Yup, like Taipei's, although I'd guess it'll be smaller than Taipei's so that it can fit into this slim building

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall