daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #7981
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,493

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperlover9595 View Post
I really don't like this building for some reason. It just seems unoriginal to me, since 90% of the buildings in New York are just a steel box.
Actually a huge majority of buildings in NYC are old brick midrises.

And can I see the building this one copied, if it's so unoriginal? Which other ones have such strange proportions and such large, square windows?
__________________
Check out my band, Till I Conquer!

Vertical_Gotham liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #7982
jconyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 416
Likes (Received): 168

Yes , very busy site today...
I noticed something interesting detail yesterday and today...they are installing more and more windows...but on the 7th level all the windows are recessed deeply, they are being mounted flush with the INNER edge of the columns not the outer surface as all the other windows so far. this level corresponds with the "resident amenties" level and is the the first level above the retail building. windows on both the 57 and 56 street sides are deeply recessed.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #7983
skyscraperlover9595
Certified MiG killer
 
skyscraperlover9595's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,879
Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Actually a huge majority of buildings in NYC are old brick midrises.

And can I see the building this one copied, if it's so unoriginal? Which other ones have such strange proportions and such large, square windows?
No, it's just the idea of a concrete and glass box is so overused, especially in New York City.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
lets just build a massive block of pure concrete.... nobody will be able to knock that down.
skyscraperlover9595 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #7984
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,493

But it's an original building and design. These days, whacky glass forms are overused, I would say.
__________________
Check out my band, Till I Conquer!

NYCrulz, Highcliff liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #7985
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,643
Likes (Received): 28195

I agree. Whacky forms do not guarantee good designs.
__________________

Kanto, sgollis, NYCrulz, Highcliff liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #7986
Chris666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 105
Likes (Received): 29

honestly...wtc is losing against this building...it's the higher building
Chris666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #7987
CNTower246810
Call me TKD
 
CNTower246810's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,963
Likes (Received): 678

Can someone tell me what floor the perimeter framework is at? It is very hard to tell now, since it keeps on jumping when I am making my construction diagram. I would assume somewhere around 20 or 21?
CNTower246810 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7988
Subsequence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 198
Likes (Received): 50

.........

Last edited by Subsequence; March 8th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Subsequence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #7989
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech
 
L.A.F.2.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,406
Likes (Received): 5307

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNTower246810 View Post
Can someone tell me what floor the perimeter framework is at? It is very hard to tell now, since it keeps on jumping when I am making my construction diagram. I would assume somewhere around 20 or 21?
I know just what you're talking about!

I want to say the perimeter's at floor 20 as well. It's so hard to tell because none of the cams show the whole frame. It's too tall to piece them together now. One sec, and I'll try and find out for you.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #7990
RobertWalpole
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,607
Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperlover9595 View Post
No, it's just the idea of a concrete and glass box is so overused, especially in New York City.
That's an absurd statement.
__________________

bozenBDJ, Kanto, seb.nl liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:34 AM   #7991
Shakkur98
Registered User
 
Shakkur98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 293
Likes (Received): 271

432 Park Ave kind of remind me of One Madison, just that 432 Park Ave its taller and not all glassy.
__________________

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #7992
Nonoka
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Munich
Posts: 365
Likes (Received): 254

I was one of those people who were very critical about the tower's design and honestly - I still am

But really, I do find the construction process interesting and am interested to see it rise as well, but I remain sceptical about the design, it doesn't connect to me unlike all the other buildings currently going up in New York (besides Hudson Yards which may turn out a bit over the top for me), because honestly, there isn't really a design to speak of in the first place. My biggest problem is its dominance it will gain in the skyline and the impact on it, I'm not fine with that.
But fair enough, as I've said, the construction is very exciting for sure, so I will enjoy that first and hold back further judgement on the tower until it is completed.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7993
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wien
Posts: 1,837
Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
My biggest problem is its dominance it will gain in the skyline and the impact on it, I'm not fine with that.
Not directly directed at you, but it's amusing how people think this tower will 'destroy' New York's skyline, yet several megatalls are popping up all over the place in cities which have some (or barely any) 200m+ towers (NY has about 60, including 6 supertalls!!) like Jakarta, Suzhou, Seoul, Changsha, Mumbai Kuala Lumpur,.. to name a few, and noone complains. If there is one city in the world which can absorb superskyscrapers, then it's New York!
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:07 AM   #7994
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!
 
Atmosphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Amsterdam / Seoul
Posts: 2,856
Likes (Received): 797

I think people also are afraid of change. Even skyscraper fans here on SSC show some signs of NIMBY-ism at a certain point.

The skyline of New York is very good at the moment, though we should embrace the change. It will only get better. Towers like this stick out now, but they are hopefully a beginning of a whole new 'layer' of ultratall buildings.

I mean, the skyline is cool and all as it is now, but I would hate it if it barely changed at all when I'm 80.
__________________
Build it
Atmosphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:22 AM   #7995
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonoka View Post
I was one of those people who were very critical about the tower's design and honestly - I still am

But really, I do find the construction process interesting and am interested to see it rise as well, but I remain sceptical about the design, it doesn't connect to me unlike all the other buildings currently going up in New York (besides Hudson Yards which may turn out a bit over the top for me), because honestly, there isn't really a design to speak of in the first place. My biggest problem is its dominance it will gain in the skyline and the impact on it, I'm not fine with that.
But fair enough, as I've said, the construction is very exciting for sure, so I will enjoy that first and hold back further judgement on the tower until it is completed.
If you actually walk in New York one day you will find that no building sticks out no matter how much taller it is compared to other buildings. The density absorbs it.
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 01:24 AM   #7996
mitch-nfffc
Registered User
 
mitch-nfffc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 30
Likes (Received): 1

Wow what a tower this will be!
__________________
Nottingham-mitch
mitch-nfffc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #7997
Eric Offereins
The only way is up
 
Eric Offereins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 68,643
Likes (Received): 28195

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
If you actually walk in New York one day you will find that no building sticks out no matter how much taller it is compared to other buildings. The density absorbs it.
True, 400 meter or 500 meter makes little difference when seen from directly in front.
From further away is a different story.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #7998
yankee fan for life
Registered User
 
yankee fan for life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brooklyn new york
Posts: 832
Likes (Received): 195



Right about that !



Sunset on the greatest skyline on earth !
__________________
My heart beats for Brooklyn new york

iamtheSTIG, Kanto, Assemblage23, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by kanye; July 15th, 2013 at 07:37 PM.
yankee fan for life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #7999
KlausDiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Leipzig
Posts: 4,123
Likes (Received): 8765

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Not directly directed at you, but it's amusing how people think this tower will 'destroy' New York's skyline, yet several megatalls are popping up all over the place in cities which have some (or barely any) 200m+ towers (NY has about 60, including 6 supertalls!!) like Jakarta, Suzhou, Seoul, Changsha, Mumbai Kuala Lumpur,.. to name a few, and noone complains. If there is one city in the world which can absorb superskyscrapers, then it's New York!
It's not about how many Megatalls be built in New York, but that this building in this form, without architectural charm, is simply grotto ugly, unadventurous and totally inappropriate in the New York skyline.
__________________

TowerVerre:), Nonoka liked this post
KlausDiggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #8000
sweet-d
Registered User
 
sweet-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chengdu
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 265

I'm not sure if this building will be ugly. But it is pretty meh the biggest positive to this building is the fact that it's so thin.
__________________

Xoltage liked this post
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu