daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #8301
erkantang

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
I don't know how people can call it ugly. Its a simple box, nothing ugly, nothing exciting. Now if it was a tacky asian tower then sure call it ugly but a simple box..i dont get it
It is a nice tall new building,but i also think the desingn is simple and little ugly
erkantang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:20 PM   #8302
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Can anyone point out where 432 Park Ave is on the 59 street cam.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8303
G.A.M.E.R
My First SSC Anniversary!

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athinaios View Post
Some shots I took yesterday: (8/14/2013)

It does start to dominate its neighbors
hey, look at bottom of the picture. there's a poster of skyline. what tower is it? (higher tower) it looks like Shanghai Tower but I think that tower is in New York City (but doesn't exist)
1007m Kingdom Tower, JEDDAH
1001m Burj Mubarak al-Kabir, MADINAT AL-HAREER
838m Sky City, CHANGSHA
638m Signature Tower, JAKARTA
G.A.M.E.R no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8304
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

And here it is, the new 59th Street cam. It seems it is located at the top of Bloomberg Tower (59th and Lexington) But I think it is not well aimed yet, I can't find the building, looking in Google Earth, it seems that they should turn it more to the right. Or somebody can find it on this view?

Edit. When I draw a line between Bloomberg Tower and 30 Rock (located at the right border of the picture) in Google Earth, it pass just off the corner of Park Ave And 56th Street, so the building should be slightly to the right of the picture (not in it)

Funkyskunk2, AlePa2013 liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; August 16th, 2013 at 06:41 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #8305
BrooklynFlyGuy

Likes (Received): 210

Yeah, it's facing due south, they need to turn it to the west a bit. I assume they'll move it shortly. But man! What a view!!! NYC is just an overdose of pure awesomeness...
BrooklynFlyGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #8306
NewYorker2009

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.A.M.E.R View Post
hey, look at bottom of the picture. there's a poster of skyline. what tower is it? (higher tower) it looks like Shanghai Tower but I think that tower is in New York City (but doesn't exist)
That's One World Trade Center. The sunlight is reflecting off one of the diagonal sides, hence giving you the illusion that resembles the shape of the Shanghai Tower.

G.A.M.E.R liked this post

Last edited by NewYorker2009; August 16th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
NewYorker2009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8307
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Filipe1 View Post
I don't know how people can call it ugly. Its a simple box, nothing ugly, nothing exciting. Now if it was a tacky asian tower then sure call it ugly but a simple box..i dont get it
One man's interpretation:

Sullivan and others suggested skyscrapers should, like columns, employ a sense of grounding via a defined base and a defined crown. While not universal rules these elements do help viewers interpret the structure as part of the cityscape. Also, Vitruvious (or Palladio?) expressed beauty in architecture as that point where anything added or removed detracts from the overall piece.

With those ideals in mind the banality of this form, especially in this context, is struggling to express itself as a skyscraper. Because it is so tall and lanky the absence of a crown makes it look like it's simply been cut off at some random point. The absence of any detail makes it come off as mechanical, and not artistic or human, thus falling short of beautiful. It doesn't appear anything special crafted for this space, but rather a blunt object that's been extrapolated over, and over, and over.

So while in and of itself the building may not be ugly when placed into context it's going to be judged against expectations and understanding, in which case people tend to like or dislike but rarely straddle the fence. Especially for buildings that will make such a strong presence on the city scape, either it will add to the skyline or detract from it. You don't stick out like this and be just "meh."

Philly Bud liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #8308
Hippodamus
GRID all the way

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.A.M.E.R View Post
It's actually part of the same picture mentioned in post 8302
Hippodamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8309
t94

Likes (Received): 844

They moved the camera angle downwards to look at the building. This angle should suffice until it's complete. Glad they jumped on the problem and fixed it!
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 08:50 PM   #8310
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

This is the view Zoomed in.
By the way, it looks about even as the black building (not that we didn't know that already)

I think the new camera is cool, the downside is that the resolution is not good. It would have been good if they keep the 57th camera raising it to the top of the building across the street, for a closer look of the construction and add this one to see it in the context of the skyline (so we would have 4 cameras)
One good thing about this camera, is that makes possible to do a pretty cool time-lapse.

The angle should be tilted upwards as the building raises, now it is tilted downwards, in a few months it will be not tilted, and then it should be tilted upwards.

It wouldn't be bad if once in a while, like two or three days in a month, they zoomed out the camera, similar as the first picture, to see the building against the whole skyline.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #8311
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

Fun fact:

Extra windows are being installed at this tower and stored in and around the core at each floor.

In the event a window breaks, a new one can be retrieved on the floor it is required and installed.

Funkyskunk2, nycaddict liked this post
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #8312
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29170

That is a good angle. This will work until completion. .
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #8313
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Awesome. I love the new cam position.

They can zoom the cam and I hope they do that from time to time with the 59th Street one.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8314
McSky

Likes (Received): 1916

McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #8315
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
One man's interpretation:

Sullivan and others suggested skyscrapers should, like columns, employ a sense of grounding via a defined base and a defined crown. While not universal rules these elements do help viewers interpret the structure as part of the cityscape. Also, Vitruvious (or Palladio?) expressed beauty in architecture as that point where anything added or removed detracts from the overall piece.

With those ideals in mind the banality of this form, especially in this context, is struggling to express itself as a skyscraper. Because it is so tall and lanky the absence of a crown makes it look like it's simply been cut off at some random point. The absence of any detail makes it come off as mechanical, and not artistic or human, thus falling short of beautiful. It doesn't appear anything special crafted for this space, but rather a blunt object that's been extrapolated over, and over, and over.

So while in and of itself the building may not be ugly when placed into context it's going to be judged against expectations and understanding, in which case people tend to like or dislike but rarely straddle the fence. Especially for buildings that will make such a strong presence on the city scape, either it will add to the skyline or detract from it. You don't stick out like this and be just "meh."
I wish I could write as well as you my friend - I think you nailed my feelings about the design.
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8316
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Latest photo update on the tower - now at 430'!

432 Park Avenue August 2013 Construction Update

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #8317
Funkyskunk2

Likes (Received): 808

I caught our friend setting up the new camera.

Old August 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8318
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

What building is it in?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #8319
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5311

Bloomberg Tower.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #8320
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I caught our friend setting up the new camera.
that is so funny.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall