daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 24th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #8841
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Rebar is rising for the next floor columns.

I'm a little ahead of myself, but as soon as the core rises again, here is the next set of buildings it will pass (as many as I could get in one screen grab anyway).

(SSP)
Wow. These towers are so short, and when I visited 432 Park Avenue in July it looked SO TALL! It looked like it was halfway from topping out! I'm pretty sure it's because of the unproportionalness (which is what I love about this tower). I can't believe how tall this tower looks already compared to its actual height!

Kanto, ChuckScraperMiami#1, Highcliff liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #8842
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
Wow. These towers are so short,
Maybe they look short because there are so much of them, but they definately aren't short at all. Although you only notice such thing when the tower stands alone.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #8843
onewtclover

In New York, they would be "average", especially in Midtown, they would be called "a little below average".

Kanto, bozenBDJ, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #8844
valdano7007

Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
It's because there used to be an old lowrise over there that was demolished to make space for 432 Park. It was the Drake Hotel [/IMG]
Only in New York, can one call a 19-story building a "low-rise".

iamtheSTIG, Kanto liked this post
valdano7007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM   #8845
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewtclover View Post
In New York, they would be "average", especially in Midtown, they would be called "a little below average".
NYC only height standards?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #8846
onewtclover

Have you guys been to New York, because if you haven't, when you get there, you'll basically bend your neck backwards so much it'll break. I wonder if my neck would break if I saw the Burj Khalifa.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, billgates liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #8847
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

8 Spruce killed mine, but it was totally worth it. If you're going to break your neck looking up at a building from its base, that's the one to do it to.
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #8848
New Jack City
User

Likes (Received): 44

I will pass by the tower tomorrow after work and snap some pics, anyone looking for any specific angles?
New Jack City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #8849
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Could you try and get a photo of what's going on at ground level on 57th Street? We no longer have a cam there. Also a photo from Park Avenue would be great.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, Highcliff liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8850
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Can you please get a shot showing the condition/color/cracks of the curing concrete?
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #8851
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
One man's interpretation:

Sullivan and others suggested skyscrapers should, like columns, employ a sense of grounding via a defined base and a defined crown. While not universal rules these elements do help viewers interpret the structure as part of the cityscape. Also, Vitruvious (or Palladio?) expressed beauty in architecture as that point where anything added or removed detracts from the overall piece.

With those ideals in mind the banality of this form, especially in this context, is struggling to express itself as a skyscraper. Because it is so tall and lanky the absence of a crown makes it look like it's simply been cut off at some random point. The absence of any detail makes it come off as mechanical, and not artistic or human, thus falling short of beautiful. It doesn't appear anything special crafted for this space, but rather a blunt object that's been extrapolated over, and over, and over.

So while in and of itself the building may not be ugly when placed into context it's going to be judged against expectations and understanding, in which case people tend to like or dislike but rarely straddle the fence. Especially for buildings that will make such a strong presence on the city scape, either it will add to the skyline or detract from it. You don't stick out like this and be just "meh."
A most articulate and intelligent observation when it comes to skyscraper architecture.

Having said that, sensibilities have changed in the past half century and there is this thing called "minimalism" when done right can be beautiful and elegant. I understand the concept of what made a column beautiful: base, shaft, and capital ... but an obelisk can be beautiful too.

Generally speaking the idea that "less is more" is something I am skeptical of: common sense tells me that "less is less, and more is more." Understand that I am a late middle-aged man and own a three story c.1890 Victorian home that is very ornate - it is a "second Empire" mansard roof home with leaded stained glass bay windows, fluted columns. dormer windows, fireplaces, etc. But I think a pencil thin skyscraper with square windows can be lovely ... if the masonry was marble or limestone or something that looked like that, if the window glass is jewel-like in it's tint and reflectivity, if the symmetry was exceptional fine ... then the whole building is an ornament and it doesn't need superfluous decoration.

I will withhold my judgement on this one until it is finished.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Philly Bud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #8852
tim1807
faster than buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Bud View Post
Now that is something more people should do.

57th&1st, Philly Bud liked this post
Old September 25th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8853
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Another big pour today...counted seven trucks lined up at 8:30AM
Beautiful weather here in New York...and in spite of the UN session creating grid lock they are getting lots of work done.

given some of the comments above in particular about this repetitive form and seeming arbitrariness of the height terminus...it is going to be fascinating to see hear reactions not only from visitors but New Yorkers themselves who in spite of the publicity have no idea what is emerging on 57 st.. Once this building breaks through the glass ceiling of midtown the question will be "when will it end?" One day it will of course but that moment will not be presaged by the rising structure. At least conceptually it could just keep going.

Whenever I look at this building I can't help but think of Sol Lewitt
[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn1.************/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoYaiykzqU1DIJ41tec3ixMfyTiTEH5YwU2sW3BDtigzZdpLln[/IMG]

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by jconyc; September 25th, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:45 PM   #8854
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

The outer forms have been already raised, and the crane is being raised as well.

They are not pouring right now, if they pour the core later during the day, we can expect a core jump tomorrow.

image hosted on flickr

trump tower 2 por cmpunkrules, en Flickr

Kanto, Highcliff liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8855
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

Appearance on the skyline just beginning...

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Highcliff, Kanto, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #8856
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

One small step for 432 Park, one giant leap for the NYC skyline

SkYsCrApEr2013, L.A.F.2. liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #8857
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

I made this to see how approximately it would like as seen from Central Park

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

image hosted on flickr

central park panorama por cmpunkrules, en Flickr

Kanto liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8858
tim1807
faster than buildings

Way too wide.
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #8859
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Nice comments Philly Bud, and thank you for the kind words. I bet your house is quite amazing and fun to observe.
Quote:
Having said that, sensibilities have changed in the past half century and there is this thing called "minimalism" when done right can be beautiful and elegant. I understand the concept of what made a column beautiful: base, shaft, and capital ... but an obelisk can be beautiful too.
True enough, but a traditional obelisk meets the same criteria, particurly with regards to the capital/crown. For me that's the missing element here that is distorting the geometry and leaving it lacking. Minimalism is about simplicity rather than the absence of detail, and for me this skyscraper would be far more appealing with something capping off the top, even a pair of the "open" floors. Some might consider such a superfluous addition, but I think that would give the building greater presence in this context, providing a visual anchor at both ends that implies a complete design.

But I'm free to accept that may be just me!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Now that is something more people should do.
You fools! You mortals! Such action would bring the internet to a stand still and kill the advertising values! The entire cyber-industry is dependent on base judgementalism and appeasing the lowest common denominators! There is no going back now!!!!!

Nonoka liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #8860
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Nice comments Philly Bud, and thank you for the kind words. I bet your house is quite amazing and fun to observe. True enough, but a traditional obelisk meets the same criteria, particurly with regards to the capital/crown. For me that's the missing element here that is distorting the geometry and leaving it lacking. Minimalism is about simplicity rather than the absence of detail, and for me this skyscraper would be far more appealing with something capping off the top, even a pair of the "open" floors. Some might consider such a superfluous addition, but I think that would give the building greater presence in this context, providing a visual anchor at both ends that implies a complete design.
I think it would look too much like those Marina Bay towers in Dubai then.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall