daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #881
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3547

But there are those of us here who love it

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #882
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Now that people's expectations have been tempered, nearly everyone will love it when this 400m icon rises.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #883
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1277

Are you kidding me RW? First you spammed this thread with how ugly and mundane this tower is going to be. Lowered our expectations etc., and now all of a sudden you like it and almost everyone else should do so?

Cladding can do the trick e.g. Gem Tower, but this one is 400m+ tall, it should have a more unique design than just a BOX!

I am excited to see a 400m + tower in Midtown, but i'd prefer a superior design.

germantower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 06:44 PM   #884
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Design superiority is in the eyes of the beholder. For me it has a superior design

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #885
RobertWalpole
BANNED

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
Are you kidding me RW? First you spammed this thread with how ugly and mundane this tower is going to be. Lowered our expectations etc., and now all of a sudden you like it and almost everyone else should do so?

Cladding can do the trick e.g. Gem Tower, but this one is 400m+ tall, it should have a more unique design than just a BOX!

I am excited to see a 400m + tower in Midtown, but i'd prefer a superior design.

I didn't spam anything. I provided very specific, inside information about this tower months before thje rendering was released. If you chose not to benefit from my inside information in the future, then don't read my posts.

As I've said repeatedly, in light of the high-profile site, everyone (including me) expected a Torre Verre-calibre tower, which this is not. Nevertheless, this 400m tower will be a great additin to NY.

Old December 17th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #886
germantower
i ♥ NY

The thing i don't get is.

1. You teased us with phrases like "this is going to be amazing." on previous pages in this thread. (even though you didn't know how it looks like at that very moment)

2. You got your "inside info" and started to lower our expectations.

3. The design was unveiled.

4. You started to call it ugly, mundane and boring. And said "thanks good Hines is around to give us master pieces"

5. You like it all of a sudden and expect most will like it when it started to rise, because the expectations settled.

I don't get it.

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #887
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Why no one here appreciates the work of engineers? Everyone want's to see beautiful skin, but no one cares how beautiful job engineers did here..I've been workin' with math and physics on this field for some time, and you have to trust me, this building is a masterpiece, no matter how it looks..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM   #888
germantower
i ♥ NY

Dino, it might be an engineering master piece, but it def isnt an architectual one. (imho)

Old December 17th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #889
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoVabec View Post
Why no one here appreciates the work of engineers? Everyone want's to see beautiful skin, but no one cares how beautiful job engineers did here..I've been workin' with math and physics on this field for some time, and you have to trust me, this building is a masterpiece, no matter how it looks..
I 1000% agree with you. Engineers should get some of the glory too, not just architects

Old December 17th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #890
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

an architect is an engineer

bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #891
RobertWalpole
BANNED

To the extent that architecture is art, Vinoly may have been making an artistic statement with a tower that's 80 feet wide, 1,400 feet high and that has a structural facade. People thought that Cubism and Expressionism were art when those movements arose. Also, people said of Jackson Pollack's work that a "child could have done it."

Old December 18th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #892
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

I can't wait for this tower to start construction so we can all stop bickering with each other.

Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #893
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
To the extent that architecture is art, Vinoly may have been making an artistic statement with a tower that's 80 feet wide, 1,400 feet high and that has a structural facade.

On that I do agree this tower is going to be very interesting for reasons different than just how it looks. But I also have to admit you are bit overexcited about american towers. If you will keep convincing people in every american thread that we are going to see another best super iconic design of the world people may simply stop believing you just on you're word
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #894
RM6721
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

looks awesome, I just wish they could have incorporated the facade of the old building into it
RM6721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #895
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
On that I do agree this tower is going to be very interesting for reasons different than just how it looks. But I also have to admit you are bit overexcited about american towers. If you will keep convincing people in every american thread that we are going to see another best super iconic design of the world people may simply stop believing you just on you're word
That's a groundless comment. I am not excited about 250 W55th or 1715 B'Way. On the same token, I am excited about many towers outside of the US.

Old December 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #896
patrykus

Well that's just an impression I have (and apparently not only me). If that's not the case then I deeply sorry.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

Old December 18th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #897
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Well that's just an impression I have (and apparently not only me). If that's not the case then I deeply sorry.
No problem. By the way, I love Polish women.

Old December 18th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #898
patrykus

Who doesn't

Old December 19th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #899
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6562

On Russian side of the forum once I posted the preliminary renders this is what I was shown. this is the twin skyscrapers in Moscow. Similar size in terms of how wide it is, but lower in height and design wise quite interesting.

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #900
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Thanks for the render. I think 432 Park looks far better than those russian towers even though it has no facade there

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall