daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 8th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9121
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 554

My bet is on Google being the retail anchor ... for Google Glass ...
Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9122
Kycon

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
They were on top of BK.

These cranes were placed on top for installation of steel structure. The cranes below were anchored to side of building at the various setbacks.

Location of cranes depends on a lot of factors and not whether if resi or commercial. Cranes can be located on cores, inside of cores, inside the building or externally. All depends on construction programme, location of loading bays, core acceleration requirement, hook speed/times, underlying services, crane type (luffing or hammer head), crane dismantle procedures, etc... Also different contractors have different preferences for crane placement whether internal or external. So if another contractor took over the same job, you might not expect the cranes to be placed in the same locations.

432 Park obviously has a small floor plate and would not warrant placing cranes internally as this would increase rework to floor plates (cover up the holes caused by crane being internal) and will affect internal fire/mechanical and hydraulic fitout trailing the crane base. You would not place crane in the core as again, it is a very small floor plate and also concrete boom is located here and will effect concrete pour as crane is in the way. Core acceleration is important as hoist are all located externally so internal elevators can proceed fitout as soon as core has topped out.

Hope this helps.

GrooveBox, spectre000, Swiddle liked this post
Kycon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9123
thejacko5
SSC Addict

Likes (Received): 401

this building will get a crane on top of it before it reaches 900'
thejacko5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #9124
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post
How come they didn't put the crane on top of the building like what they did with the WTC towers, wouldn't this have made construction faster or they only do this with residential buildings. Because didn't they do this with the burj Khalifa, so maybe it might be the tallest crane mast in The western hemispere.
Read back a few pages, someone mentioned there will be a crane on top at some point with one of the other 2 being removed.

No idea when but will see soon enough.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #9125
Kycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Read back a few pages, someone mentioned there will be a crane on top at some point with one of the other 2 being removed.

No idea when but will see soon enough.
I highly doubt this, although I could be wrong. As far as I can see this job doesn't need another crane to be erected to complete the job. There is no crown or special lifting towards top out.
Old October 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9126
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycon View Post
I highly doubt this, although I could be wrong. As far as I can see this job doesn't need another crane to be erected to complete the job. There is no crown or special lifting towards top out.
See thejacko5 post above mine, as I said there is in fact going to be a crane on the top at some point.

Nothing to do with a crown it has to do with the processes involved, which is not the same as your average tower.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #9127
jconyc

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
See thejacko5 post above mine, as I said there is in fact going to be a crane on the top at some point.

Nothing to do with a crown it has to do with the processes involved, which is not the same as your average tower.
IF they do remove one it would be the crane on 57st...it is smaller than the 56 st crane and could interfere with construction of the retail building on 57
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #9128
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I think it's actually 35 for the core, so the next jump will be 36 apparent floors. Is that correct?
With this image, It is easier to count floors, it is supposed to be from october third and the last core jump was on october second, nevertheless, the image must be taken before the last core jump, since you can see the core has doors in its walls and in the current floor it has some kind of windows.

So I count 26 floors + 6 lower floors in the perimeter, total 32 floors, by now it is one more floors, so yes, it has 33 floors on the perimeter and 35 in the core. Always counting apparent floors and the ground floor as floor 1. Meaning 542.5 ft / 165 meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Construction View Post
Another update from Richard Berenholtz. Some more updates now from the last couple of months.
This one from 3 October so very recent:

The slab they are working now must be the last floor before the MEP. But this floor is different of the other floors. It has windows instead of doors in the core wall, besides, they seem to be doing some thick beams that goes from each corner of the core to the perimeter.
According to this diagram it is a conventional floor, but they are not working in a conventional floor. I wonder if this floor below the MEP is also mechanical of with some kind of services. Also it seems like is is some kind of reinforcement of the structure.

CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #9129
dm-civil
infraestructura!

Likes (Received): 474

have you seen this? is almost the same but "less thin"
http://www.archdaily.com/435778/shen...change-hq-oma/
Old October 9th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #9130
southernboy
Free Spirit

Likes (Received): 29

This is going to be an epic tower. I like that it's different, and not another spire-tower, the city has enough of those in my opinion. I like that this tower has a flat roof & is solid all the way up. And it's not another glass tower, which is good. My one complaint is the fact that it's going to be used entirely for the 1% super-rich, and is not more utilitarian, but ah well.

It will at least be nice to see another type of super-tall in the city. Even though it's slim, it's really going to stand out. I like it.
southernboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 04:50 AM   #9131
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

So will this be the 2nd "mep" floor? I can't see much of a difference from those floors from an average floor, what is the best indicator?
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:22 AM   #9132
Kycon

Quote:

When you mean on top, do you mean in the core or on the floor plates?
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #9133
mysteek

Likes (Received): 6

the thought had crossed my mind that if a lack of space has subjected towers to a future of anorexia, why don't they make room in the area (the name of which i didn't know and tried to look up) between downtown and midtown? come to find out, mica schist deposits are closer to the surface in downtown and midtown hence the absence of skyscrapers in between. oh well i guess.
mysteek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #9134
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysteek View Post
the thought had crossed my mind that if a lack of space has subjected towers to a future of anorexia, why don't they make room in the area (the name of which i didn't know and tried to look up) between downtown and midtown? come to find out, mica schist deposits are closer to the surface in downtown and midtown hence the absence of skyscrapers in between. oh well i guess.
Yep. I remember watching something on the History channel about the bedrock under Manhattan and how it has influenced the shape of the skyline. Apparently, to build a decent skyscraper in that "middle" section which currently has a dearth of tall structures, you'd have to drill down nearly twice as far to reach bedrock, making construction costs prohibitively high.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #9135
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Oh god, let's not anybody chime in about the factuality of the bedrock issue, or we'll lose five pages to an O/T debate. Suffice it to say, there are a lot of reasons for the skyscraper gap, and we're not likely to see it filled anytime soon.

That said, the skinniness of the towers isn't for lack of space, but the fact that residential towers are by necessity built with narrower floorplates, and residential is what's driving the bulk of this new building. There are still plenty of bulky office towers in the works (Hudson Yards, Manhattan West, 2/3 WTC), but they're harder to line up financing for and take longer to build, so we're likely to see a surge of these residential bamboo shoots before they're balanced out by the bigger guys.

I'm all for the variety, in any case.

Troopchina liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; October 10th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9136
OnePointWest
Riemanns Hypothesis

Likes (Received): 1128

To end discussion quick; most of the building are located away from the SoHo areas and around due to the transportation that was already in place, such as the terminals and statins. Now, though, the NIMBY's are a major factor in the area. Bedrock was likely never an issue.

Back OT,
I believe this is the fastest rising tower in the city, barring the 600' Bacarrat Hotel.

Last edited by OnePointWest; October 9th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.
OnePointWest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:30 PM   #9137
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

I would like to add to the discussion. I don't mean to drag this out here but I thought it was pertinent to the discussion.

here's a write up on Debunking the Manhattan bedrock myth.

Uncanny Valley: The Real Reason There Are No Skyscrapers in the Middle of Manhattan
http://observer.com/2012/01/uncanny-...-of-manhattan/

Tall buildings where first built in Lower Manhattan, but why nothing in between and straight to Midtown.

Quote:
So why the Midtown migration?
Like cavemen following mammoth across the Bering Strait, early developers were following their prey. “Who’s moving north?” Mr. Barr said. “It’s the wealthy and the middle class. If you’re an insurance salesman, do you really want to be traipsing through the slums of Five Points or the factories of Soho to get to work? That land was cheap, but the location was worthless.”
Now we can go back to 432!
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:05 AM   #9138
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5311

Perimeter forms were raised today. Two concrete trucks are on site now.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #9139
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

By NYGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Part of "Sky High" at the Skyscraper Museum...

hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:16 AM   #9140
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Awesome model.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall