daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #9341
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugstone View Post
How are they getting the concrete to the top to pour? Do they pump it up from ground level premixed? Do they bring the dry concrete up by the external elevators, pump the water up separately and mix it at the top? Are the cranes involved in bringing up concrete? If they pump it up, are there multiple pumps involved, such as one pump every five floors?

Thanks,
Bugs
It is definitely pumped up through the core...ready mixed trucks back in and pour into main pump hopper at street level...two trucks can be dumping at the same time...how many other pumps are involved I do not know

L.A.F.2. liked this post
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2013, 08:56 PM   #9342
MrSlippery519

Likes (Received): 36

Looking forward to seeing the new crane this weekend, as well we should be back into a quick 3-4 day schedule starting next week again I would presume.
MrSlippery519 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9343
jconyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Looking forward to seeing the new crane this weekend, as well we should be back into a quick 3-4 day schedule starting next week again I would presume.
Parts of the crane are going up right now!

iamtheSTIG liked this post
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9344
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4534

They're currently lifting a piece of the new crane to the core

damn beat me
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #9345
jconyc

I just got lucky I hadn't checked the cam for a few hours and lo and behold it was going up!
Wish the 56 st camera was working

Last edited by jconyc; October 25th, 2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old October 25th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9346
jconyc

Still pouring at 4:00PM looks like they are getting ready to lift another section 56 St cam is back online
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:20 AM   #9347
A.J.B 22
Big Pink

Likes (Received): 481

I've not been following this thread as closely as I should. How tall is the building right now?
A.J.B 22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 12:29 AM   #9348
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Dodd View Post
Redefining the Manhattan skyline one floor at a time.
Ruining the Manhattan skyline one floor at a time.
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 01:36 AM   #9349
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Sounds like what people said when the twins were being built.

Remember, this is only the second new building to rise above the Midtown plateau and there are many more that will come after it and make it feel more balanced. Just give it time.
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #9350
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Sounds like what people said when the twins were being built.

Remember, this is only the second new building to rise above the Midtown plateau and there are many more that will come after it and make it feel more balanced. Just give it time.
Very, very true. I've actually had similar thoughts for a while.

Right now the main platueau in Manhattan in general, and midtown in particular, is around 800 or 900 feet. So at first the new towers at 1,300 to 1,400 will look out of place and will make the rest of the skyline look diminished. But over 10 to 15 years as the 1,300 to 1,400 footers start to fill it it will start to look nice.

I predict it will really start to look nice and balanced when they have at least 12 buildings of this height between 42nd and 57th.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:15 AM   #9351
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4534

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgates View Post
Ruining the Manhattan skyline one floor at a time.
When will people realise that there is much more going on in Midtown than just this tower who are on this site...
also 'ruining' it by sticking out? I'm pretty sure the Eiffel Tower stands out like a 'soar thumb' yet is a world wide icon (I love it)
Don't forget all of those churches and cathedrals from hundreds of years ago which stood out on the skyline towering over houses which i'm sure many would've thought the same about them being overpowering and too big

It takes balls for an architect and developer to have a project like this which kick starts a revolution of new supertalls to grace the skyline...

It's much like the age of when Art Deco skyscrapers 'ruined' the Downtown skyline just because they were tall (again I think it was an incredible change)...

This render by CCs77 shows just the beginning of what's to come for the Midtown skyline, it doesn't even have 1 Vanderbalt, the 100storey Shvo tower, Hudson Yards or the other plots for new towers to come (which a few will be supertalls as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Arawooho, L.A.F.2., vinttt liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #9352
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

I don't understand all the adamant opposition to this project. I think it's great to have this new era of uber-thin supertalls taking Midtown by storm, whether they're minimalist like 432 Park or unbelievably detailed like 107 W 57. I know I can't wait to see them all completed so I can pay NYC yet another visit.

iamtheSTIG, vinttt liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #9353
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.F.2. View Post
I don't understand all the adamant opposition to this project. I think it's great to have this new era of uber-thin supertalls taking Midtown by storm, whether they're minimalist like 432 Park or unbelievably detailed like 107 W 57. I know I can't wait to see them all completed so I can pay NYC yet another visit.
I want more built.

I want 57th Street to become New York's version of Sheikh Zayed Street in Dubai
Mercenary está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #9354
jconyc

Today will mark a big change in pattern of construction as the core crane gets assembled and mounted the slow down of the past will weeks will end and the pace will pick back up again.

All the parts are in place for the assembly today...most was unloaded and some pre-assembly yesterday. It looked like they placed one tower section on the core down inside the current double story mechanical floor (because it is down inside it was not visible on the cams once in place)..today the rest will go up. The boom parts are now sitting on a flat bed on Park Avenue ready to be unloaded and assembled...should be fun to watch.

more tower sections have been laced so now the crane location is visible. structure is now taller than the core.
56 st camera is down again...I wonder if they shut it down while the assembly is going on? it was down most of the day yesterday as well.
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9355
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J.B 22 View Post
I've not been following this thread as closely as I should. How tall is the building right now?
175 metres.
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #9356
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Well guys, the new crane has finally been placed. Looks like the core is being poured as well. We should see the perimeter forms jump soon, which will indicate when we're approaching our next core jump.
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:53 PM   #9357
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
It is definitely pumped up through the core...ready mixed trucks back in and pour into main pump hopper at street level...two trucks can be dumping at the same time...how many other pumps are involved I do not know
For the first few floors, a different truck with a pouring machine attached to it simply used this directly to pour the lower floors that it could reach. After this got 8 or so floors up, you'd see your typical concrete mixer trucks show up on site, where a hose was connected to it and run through the building up to the core pouring machine and connected there.
Old October 26th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #9358
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

56th Street crane just placed the cabin on our new red crane!

3 men are climbing it and about to reach the top! I haven't seen such an exciting day here in a long, long time.
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9359
jconyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
Today will mark a big change in pattern of construction as the core crane gets assembled and mounted the slow down of the past will weeks will end and the pace will pick back up again.

All the parts are in place for the assembly today...most was unloaded and some pre-assembly yesterday. It looked like they placed one tower section on the core down inside the current double story mechanical floor (because it is down inside it was not visible on the cams once in place)..today the rest will go up. The boom parts are now sitting on a flat bed on Park Avenue ready to be unloaded and assembled...should be fun to watch.

more tower sections have been laced so now the crane location is visible. structure is now taller than the core.
56 st camera is down again...I wonder if they shut it down while the assembly is going on? it was down most of the day yesterday as well.
56 st camera is back online
Old October 26th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9360
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

The crane appears much smaller on the tower than it did when it was still on the ground. Btw 56th cam still doesn't work for me.

L.A.F.2. liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall