daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #9421
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

They used favco 440D and 380D amongst others.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9422
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6787

has this been posted yet ?

image hosted on flickr

432 Park Avenue von st_hart auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

432 Park Avenue, New York, NY von Tubeworm auf Flickr
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #9423

Likes (Received): 368

So will the other two cranes come down?
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #9424
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

If the 432parkavenue.com web master is reading this, THANK YOU for setting the 59th street camera on a wide shot.

sgollis liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #9425
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Soon the cameras will have to be tilted upwards
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #9426
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

http://architizer.com/blog/sky-high/

Are Billionaires Ruining The New York Skyline? An Exhibition Examines The New Luxury Tower

Carl Yost

Quote:
“I defend these buildings against people who take moral offense because ‘only wealthy people live in them,’” says Carol Willis, the director of Skyscraper Museum. She isn’t talking about Justin Davidson’s epic takedown of the luxury residential tower One57 in New York Magazine a few weeks earlier, but she might as well be. “All they are doing is playing by the rules of the 1960s. To me, it’s fair play.”

It’s a refreshing perspective. Preposterously tall, anorexically slender residential buildings are popping up all across Manhattan, like it or not. Maybe I’m out of touch with the zeitgeist of post-Bloomberg backlash, but I think they’re exciting additions to the skyline, and I’m meeting Willis in her museum’s current exhibition, “Sky High & the Logic of Luxury,” to understand why. “It’s about slender, not tall,” she says as we walk to the front of the gallery. “Slenderness is a strategy for luxury.” In an engineering context, “slenderness” has a precise definition: a height-to-width-ratio of at least 10:1 or 12:1. Think of a ruler standing on its end, or the proportions of the 617-foot-high, 50-foot-wide One Madison.

Willis points to a collage of eight renderings of super-skinny residential buildings that will soon pierce the sky. It’s about exclusivity, she explains: the fewer apartments per floor, the more exclusive the building, and the more each unit is worth. She contrasts a residential building like the world’s current tallest, the Princess Tower in Dubai, which has more than 700 apartments, with One57, which has only 135—many of them full-floor.

“People don’t realize how new this is, but it comes step-by-step out of the 1980s,” she says as we approach a model of the Darth Vader-like, black-glass wedge of SOM’s 1987 Metropolitan Tower at 146 West 57th Street. Until that time, “New York was really organized as a co-op town.” By the '80s, however, buildings like the Trump and Olympic Towers on Fifth Avenue revealed a market of wealthy buyers, many from abroad, who wanted private pieds-à-terre. High-rise condos sprang up all over the city, but they weren’t particularly slender. Then financier Sanford I. Weill sold his penthouse at 15 Central Park West in February 2012 for a then-record $88 million. At $13,000 per square foot, the financial calculus had changed. “It’s the value of the per-square-foot that makes super-slender possible,” she says. “You can spend a lot of money if you think there’s a market that will support five thousand, six thousand dollars per square foot.” The ability to engineer super-slenderness had been around for decades, but the financial rationale was missing. “Everyone thought it was economically preposterous, until people started paying 45, 88 million for an apartment. It’s perfectly logical, but the logic hadn’t been demonstrated until the last round.”

Willis walks me over to a model of Rafael Viñoly’s 432 Park Avenue, soon to be the tallest residential building in the western hemisphere at 1396 feet, and the star of the exhibition. On a touchscreen she scrolls across the panoramic views from a penthouse that hasn’t even been constructed yet, the photos taken by remote-controlled drone. She explains how reducing the footprint of the core generates maximum revenue. Compared with an office tower, a residential building—especially one with only one or two units per floor—requires far fewer elevators: 432 Park Avenue has only two, plus one service elevator. Viñoly’s office also designed an intertwined scissor stair that reduced the stair area 10% and generated “luxurious” floor-to-floor heights of 15' 6". The stair, together with the developable air rights that developer Harry Macklowe pieced together from adjacent buildings, accounts for the tower’s breathtaking height.

Willis clearly admires the building: “Everything about it is guided by a logic that has a mathematical purity,” she says. She points to its expressive structure, in the exposed concrete grid; to the nearly 10-foot-square windows, at the bleeding edge of glass engineering; and to the recessed wind baffles, which break up the building mass every 12 stories.

But the 15:1 slenderness of 432 Park Avenue has nothing on SHoP’s 111 West 57th Street, which zips upward from the courtyard of the historic Steinway Building at a ratio of 23:1. With feathered setbacks at its peak to conform to the zoning envelope, Willis likens it to a feather quill set in an inkwell. The model included in the exhibition towers above my head, almost high enough to brush its reflection reaching downward in the ceiling.

I ask Willis whether she expects to see many more of these super-slender buildings, but she says not many. They result from very specific, very limited site conditions. So many cluster around 57th Street because the zoning allows tall buildings there, and the Central Park views appeal to luxury buyers, encouraging developers to aim for loftier heights. 99 Church Street, a Four Seasons condo-hotel designed by Robert A. M. Stern, the architect of 15 Central Park West, and the condo tower 50 West Street, by Helmut Jahn, both fall within one of Lower Manhattan’s high-rise zoning districts. Diller Scofidio + Renfro’s Tower D will be located in the Hudson Yards insta-neighborhood.

And Herzog & de Meuron’s 56 Leonard Street, an anomaly in predominantly low-rise Tribeca, used up the air rights from New York Law School next door. With a shiny, derivative bean wedged next to the entrance, the targeted buyer is clearly the art collector who has no taste—and it’s working. As I write this, all but five units are under contract.

“All these things work together,” Willis says, meaning land price, zoning, air rights, celebrity architects' fees, engineering and construction costs, views, art, and the number of apartments per floor. “The logic is exclusivity, but it’s supported by a simple math.” In a way, she's simply extending the analysis of her excellent 1995 book Form Follows Finance: given certain conditions of market demand, zoning, and engineering, the basic shape of a skyscraper is almost a fait accompli. Don't like it? You might as well rage against the tide.

And bemoaning the height of these buildings as anti-urban blight misses an important fact about the transfer of developable air rights: “These buildings use up the low space—they use it up forever.” That is, relocating the stratospherically wealthy into the stratosphere, paradoxically, brings more light and air down to the rest of us.

“I think these really add enormously to the city,” she says. “All these buildings end up being one more chapter, one more card in the deck of the extraordinary type that this city spawns.”
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #9427
nicvalcarroz
Nic

Likes (Received): 149

beatifull tower

Robert Kiyosaki En 2016 EE.UU Se en encontrara en medio de un colapso por hiperinflación

David Wilkerson, menciona en este Orden irán cayendo las Potencias y Naciones:Primero sera Europa, segundo Japón, Tercero Estados Unidos, Cuarto Canadá, Quinto: Todos los países del mundo
http://nicolas24carcamoroz.blogspot.es/
nicvalcarroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #9428
Shakkur98

Likes (Received): 271

Does anybody know what the red crane is for.
Shakkur98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #9429
Dave H

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejacko5 View Post
and for what its worth, the Link Belt TG's are still the best tower cranes.
True!
Old October 29th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #9430
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkur98 View Post
Does anybody know what the red crane is for.
The answer is posted on this same page. Do a bit of reading before you ask.

On the other hand, a core jump seems to have been in order.

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by t94; October 29th, 2013 at 06:18 PM.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #9431
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
http://architizer.com/blog/sky-high/

Are Billionaires Ruining The New York Skyline? An Exhibition Examines The New Luxury Tower

Carl Yost
Regarding the comments within the article, I don't know too many people who object to 432 based solely on its slenderness. I certainly understand the logic behind the exclusivity and how limited units per floor saves costs and enables a premium price. Most of the criticism I've heard has to do with the banality of the exterior. Wish she had offered more about that aspect.

As to the author, this line ticked me off: "That is, relocating the stratospherically wealthy into the stratosphere, paradoxically, brings more light and air down to the rest of us." I understand his point but he's shifting the context under the assumption that all air rights would've been previously built to their maximum. It makes the movement to tall and slender sound much more magnanimous. "Brings more light... down to us!" Uh, no, the light already comes. You're just altering the how and where it could come based on possible future scenarios and making yours sound better by comparing it with a worst-case option.

Like a thief saying "Give me $20 so I don't have to beat you up for $30!" Look honey, he's saving me $10!

unmentioned liked this post

Last edited by GunnerJacket; October 29th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:23 PM   #9432
SMCYB

They zoomed in the camera again. Ugh. Can they please leave one of the cameras on a wide shot so we can see how it looks in the skyline? They don't have to both be zoomed in so close... one will do.
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #9433

Likes (Received): 368

From the other angle.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9434
SMCYB

Yeah, that's acceptable but still not a wide shot like they had last week from the 59th street camera. But I admit it's a hell of a lot better than I can see with my own eyes from hundreds of miles away.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:35 PM   #9435
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Soon it will break the 200m mark
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:46 PM   #9436
Sirius2.0
Unregistered user

Likes (Received): 82

This building is being built up really fast-much faster than what I thought it will be.
Sirius2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #9437
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Another core jump today! That puts us at ~180 metres if I'm not mistaken.

By the way, 56th Street cam is back up.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #9438
SMCYB

Well then it's time again to play "Which NYC buildings has 432 Park just passed?"

(SSP)

L.A.F.2., Dubrovnik, 57th&1st liked this post
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #9439
baavaz17

Likes (Received): 8

When do you guys think the building will gain a prominent role in the skyline? Because right now the few people who actually know about this building and how it is going to be a huge addition to the skyline are all of us and the other skyscraper junkies. Right now I'm betting that very few of the general public actually knows how tall this building is going to be. The only way for people to know about it is when it starts to get taller than the surrounding towers and ordinary citizens start to recognize it and google about it and then all of a sudden the media gets in on the action and during the last final months of construction everyone is going to know about 432 Park Ave, the tallest residential building in the West.

So back to the point, when do you think it will start to gain a prominent role in the skyline and gain more popularity amongst the public? Right now it's still around the same height as the buildings around it.
baavaz17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:36 AM   #9440
waccamatt
Gamecocks&Skyscrapers fan

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by baavaz17 View Post
When do you guys think the building will gain a prominent role in the skyline? Because right now the few people who actually know about this building and how it is going to be a huge addition to the skyline are all of us and the other skyscraper junkies. Right now I'm betting that very few of the general public actually knows how tall this building is going to be. The only way for people to know about it is when it starts to get taller than the surrounding towers and ordinary citizens start to recognize it and google about it and then all of a sudden the media gets in on the action and during the last final months of construction everyone is going to know about 432 Park Ave, the tallest residential building in the West.

So back to the point, when do you think it will start to gain a prominent role in the skyline and gain more popularity amongst the public? Right now it's still around the same height as the buildings around it.
Does it matter if anyone else knows about it? It's kind f nice to be part of an exclusive club.
waccamatt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall