daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #9441
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10267

Quote:
Originally Posted by baavaz17 View Post
When do you guys think the building will gain a prominent role in the skyline? Because right now the few people who actually know about this building and how it is going to be a huge addition to the skyline are all of us and the other skyscraper junkies. Right now I'm betting that very few of the general public actually knows how tall this building is going to be. The only way for people to know about it is when it starts to get taller than the surrounding towers and ordinary citizens start to recognize it and google about it and then all of a sudden the media gets in on the action and during the last final months of construction everyone is going to know about 432 Park Ave, the tallest residential building in the West.

So back to the point, when do you think it will start to gain a prominent role in the skyline and gain more popularity amongst the public? Right now it's still around the same height as the buildings around it.
Why do you assume height will automatically be greeted with cheers? I think the best case scenario is that people will look up at say, "Hmm, that's tall" and then go back to their daily business. The activist New Yorkers already like it or hate it

Atlanta (6,451,262) - Boston (8,176,376) - Chicago (9,882,634) - Cleveland (3,483,311) - Dallas (7,673,305) - Denver (3,470,235) - Detroit (5,318,653) - Houston (6,972,374)
Los Angeles (18,688,022) - Miami (6,723,472) - Minneapolis (3,894,820) - New York (23,689,255) - Orlando (3,202,927) - Philadelphia (7,179,357) - Phoenix (4,661,537)
Portland (3,160,488) - San Diego (3,317,749) - San Francisco (8,751,807) - Seattle (4,684,516) - Tampa (3,032,171) - Washington (9,665,892)
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #9442
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

Quote:
When do you guys think the building will gain a prominent role in the skyline? Because right now the few people who actually know about this building and how it is going to be a huge addition to the skyline are all of us and the other skyscraper junkies. Right now I'm betting that very few of the general public actually knows how tall this building is going to be. The only way for people to know about it is when it starts to get taller than the surrounding towers and ordinary citizens start to recognize it and google about it and then all of a sudden the media gets in on the action and during the last final months of construction everyone is going to know about 432 Park Ave, the tallest residential building in the West.

So back to the point, when do you think it will start to gain a prominent role in the skyline and gain more popularity amongst the public? Right now it's still around the same height as the buildings around it.
From my angle, it's now just about level with its surrounding cluster of buildings (though the cranes are becoming very noticeable from many locations). I think people will really begin to notice that this is not "just another building" when it reaches a few floors higher than the Sony building - that's when it will start to stand out from the crowd.

BTW, I notice they have left those exposed sections of rebar on the corners of the core again....:

orange boy liked this post
57th&1st no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #9443
ElVoltageDR
Happy to be here

Likes (Received): 59

From Queens (specifically from the 7 line) you can already see the upper most part of 432. So it should make an impact pretty soon.

57th&1st liked this post
ElVoltageDR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #9444
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

magnifico!

http://www.skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/future.htm
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:56 PM   #9445
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Wow.

57th&1st no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #9446
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:

Like has been said I also think it will be under the radar until the façade construction clears the cluster of buildings around it. Then I fear the man on the street perception will not be positive as it grows for a few reasons.

1) It will be SO much taller than anything around it that it won't look good. Trust me, when core construction clears the ESB the reaction outside of the skyscraper lover crowd will not be positive. I share this viewpoint. To me, the ESB should retain its position as the king in midtown. Its an icon, I like the skyline best where it is the highest point.

2) Once the media latches on to the truth that the roof height here is actually higher than 1WTC there will be a small outcry that this should not have been allowed to happen. I don't agree, I'm just saying. The hypodermic needle on top of 1WTC will prevent a full riot (figuratively speaking of course) at the zoning board.

3) and finally, this thing is so slender that when it grows to full height the only thing the man on the street is going to say about it is that he hopes he isn't around when a strong wind blows it over. The man on the street is not generally educated on the engineering of these things.

JMHO of course....

Kyll.Ing. liked this post
FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #9447
babybackribs2314

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post
Like has been said I also think it will be under the radar until the façade construction clears the cluster of buildings around it. Then I fear the man on the street perception will not be positive as it grows for a few reasons.

1) It will be SO much taller than anything around it that it won't look good. Trust me, when core construction clears the ESB the reaction outside of the skyscraper lover crowd will not be positive.

2) Once the media latches on to the truth that the roof height here is actually higher than 1WTC there will be a small outcry that this should not have been allowed to happen. I don't agree, I'm just saying. The hypodermic needle on top of 1WTC will prevent a full riot (figuratively speaking of course) at the zoning board.

3) and finally, this thing is so slender that when it grows to full height the only thing the man on the street is going to say about it is that he hopes he isn't around when a strong wind blows it over. The man on the street is not generally educated on the engineering of these things.

JMHO of course....
I think you will be correct on all counts, especially #3 - people are already hesitant when it comes to One57.

& follow YIMBY on Twitter! New York YIMBY Twitter
babybackribs2314 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:15 PM   #9448
citybooster

Likes (Received): 509

The ESB will always retain one of the most prominent places in the hearts of New Yorkers but this reactionary emotion that nothing in the area should be as tall or taller just makes no sense. It's over 80 years that it has held the midtown crown and over New York history lots of buildings had the designation of tallest in the world that were surpassed even before the rise of the ESB which dwarfed them all. Vornado's proposal for the area now where the Hotel Pennsylvania stands saw howls of outrage even though the tower would have been a little shorter. What defines mid town, anyway.. how far do you go? We still have the ESB, and will do so for centuries to come hopefully. But we can't be so set in our ways that we don't accept change can be beneficial, for certain inevitable.
citybooster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #9449
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFish View Post

1) It will be SO much taller than anything around it that it won't look good. Trust me, when core construction clears the ESB the reaction outside of the skyscraper lover crowd will not be positive. I share this viewpoint. To me, the ESB should retain its position as the king in midtown. Its an icon, I like the skyline best where it is the highest point.

JMHO of course....
#1) It will be much taller than it's surroundings and that man on the street could also be in awe, taking photos and admiring it. ESB can't stay the king for ever. It will remain the most iconic because it's place in history. It doesn't need to be the tallest.

Eventually, It won't stick out for that long because other tall towers such as Nordstrom, Steinway, 220 CPS, Tower Verre, 425 Park will rise that will even out the skyline and 432 will be considered as a complimentary piece of the changes that will be going on in this part of town. More changes to come with even more development that the Midtown East will create.

I Consider 432 and One57 a pioneer here but soon it will be accepted when others like it joins it.

#2) It doesn't matter if there will be a small outcry with this tower. Even the shorter development projects illicit a small out cry, even bigger outcry than this project has gotten! It's just the way it is in NYC!

#3) Then that man on the street should steer clear the 57th corridor entirely in the very near future. hehe.

iamtheSTIG liked this post

Last edited by Vertical_Gotham; October 30th, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #9450
iamtheSTIG

Likes (Received): 4484

people are afraid of change... but they'll get over it

Vertical_Gotham, Dequal liked this post
iamtheSTIG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #9451
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

Of all the years I've been visiting this site and seeing hundreds and hundreds of buildings of all kinds, I keep being surprised by this project.
For starters, I really like it, of course, as a lover of skyscrapers as I am, I am pleased and happy they are constructing a building so high, so fantastic¡¡¡
BUT, I'm really intrigued how will the building be eventually,as I look and look and look and I see that is and will be very narrow.
It currently seems to me already very high, for what it's narrow, so I can not imagine with its final height being so narrow, the sensation will offer to citizens of Manhattan
it becomes difficult for me to understand where they will put the elevators, I imagine there will be several sky lobbies.
Indeed, the comment that everyone will do, that building is very narrow.
One Madison Park residential tower in Manhattan too I think is as narrow in diameter as 432 Park Av. but not as high, it still gives an immense feeling of being very narrow, I wonder if 432 Park Av. is wider, I think so, but wanted to know your opinion.
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #9452
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua_Chicago View Post
Of all the years I've been visiting this site and seeing hundreds and hundreds of buildings of all kinds, I keep being surprised by this project.
For starters, I really like it, of course, as a lover of skyscrapers as I am, I am pleased and happy they are constructing a building so high, so fantastic¡¡¡
BUT, I'm really intrigued how will the building be eventually,as I look and look and look and I see that is and will be very narrow.
It currently seems to me already very high, for what it's narrow, so I can not imagine with its final height being so narrow, the sensation will offer to citizens of Manhattan
it becomes difficult for me to understand where they will put the elevators, I imagine there will be several sky lobbies.
Indeed, the comment that everyone will do, that building is very narrow.
One Madison Park residential tower in Manhattan too I think is as narrow in diameter as 432 Park Av. but not as high, it still gives an immense feeling of being very narrow, I wonder if 432 Park Av. is wider, I think so, but wanted to know your opinion.
I don't think you want to know my opinion about your post.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9453
Aqua_Chicago

Likes (Received): 41

I meant slender not narrow. sorry....
Aqua_Chicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #9454
Kairaka

Likes (Received): 2

are the other two cranes gonna come down? and if so, when?
Kairaka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #9455
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1629

Quote:

I think the general public will notice it as something significantly tall when it reaches about the 900 foot mark. Then it will be taller than everything in its vicinity except Citicorp. Then when it finally passes One57 people will start to realize there's a supertall boom happening. Then they'll say things like, "Hey, there's a supertall boom happening," or, "How about this supertall boom?"

Eric Offereins liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #9456
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Then they'll say things like, "Hey, there's a supertall boom happening," or, "How about this supertall boom?"
Seems likely!

A.J.B 22 liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM   #9457
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

They won't know what a supertall is. When it comes to skyscrapers, the average person is utterly and completely ignorant.

iamtheSTIG, 4npower, L.A.F.2. liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #9458
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Hang on, let me forward you the sarcasm memo that SMCYB sent out along with the last sentence of his post, since it seems you missed it...

SMCYB liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:09 AM   #9459
Sirius2.0
Unregistered user

Likes (Received): 82

A supertall is a building that is roughly over 1000 ft tall. So really, the only ones that is outside of the new World Trade Center Complex that are under construction are One57 and 432 Park Avenue.
Sirius2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:28 AM   #9460
Fisplen

Likes (Received): 44

Is there even such a thing as ' Ultra Tall ' category?

I myself define anything over 650 M , Ultra tall.
Fisplen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall