daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 20th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #9761
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1203

Update from Europe november 21 (7:30 pm in Holland and 1.30 pm in New York):
[IMG]http://oi39.************/236tkz.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hoogfriesland; November 20th, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #9762
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconyc View Post
I don't think so...the climbing form only forms one floor at a time. It does have some structure (work platform) above the story it is pouring...but the form itself only encompasses one level.
I just checked the webcam with a ruler and found out that the height of the core climbing form system is identical to the height of the two floors below it. According to my measurements it teherfore really is 2 floors high
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #9763
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4npower View Post
Correct!! At least that's how it is in the U.S.

It really doesn't matter at this point as tim1807 made it clear what he meant.

I'm not to sure what the heck MarshallKnight is talking about. Maybe he had a brain fart
Guys, not to beat a dead horse, but seriously: Google "New Years Eve 2014" and every event that comes up will be taking place on Dec 31, 2013. Or just wait until the last day of the year, turn on the news, and see what they call it. It will always be "New Years Eve [whatever the upcoming year is]"

Anyway. Given the current pace, anyone want to take a guess at how tall this thing will be the week of Dec. 12? I was gonna call the Four Seasons about renting their penthouse, and wanted to squeeze them for a discount since that south-facing view should be blocked by then...
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #9764
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I just checked the webcam with a ruler and found out that the height of the core climbing form system is identical to the height of the two floors below it. According to my measurements it teherfore really is 2 floors high
Even measuring the whole thing, for me is still a bit less than two floors, but in any case you shouldn't count it that way (the whole thing) since not all is "used" I mean, it takes a bit of space of the floor bellow and they need some space to spare above the floor they are working at the moment. Besides, the "roof" of the climbing system is bellow what you see, there is a working space above it, with some kind of handrail or protection that makes it look taller.

I'm posting a scheme when you see that more clearly.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And this scheme from the manufacturer, where you can clearly see they work with only a floor at a time encased inside the climbing system.
http://www.doka.com/web/references/index.en.php#12816

Old November 20th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #9765
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Gentlemen,

The number of completed poured floors is 36. The current floor being formed is the 37th floor, a typical residential floor. According to my calculations, the building is 41 percent of total height (measured from the sidewalk grade to the currently formed floor, excluding the core and core form).

The core form represents a single story, plus working platform above. A good photo to confirm this, is Mr. Berenholtz photo of the core form with the ESB and Chrysler Building in the background, with the new Potain crane partially assembled. This photo was taken nearly straight-on to the core form, with a single opening below it. There would only be a single core story being formed and poured within.

Down below, on 56 Street, perimeter beam reinforcement appears on the platform above the concrete pump station, and on the Park Avenue side of the same cam view, partial steel decking has been installed on the second level of the structure.
Old November 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #9766
billgates

Likes (Received): 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I think you measured 2 floors because the netting under the form covers up part of the second floor of the core (you can see how it covers the horizontal concrete part above the opening in the core). Also, the edge of the form extends up for a few feet, so it should actually be only one floor.

Kanto liked this post
billgates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #9767
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatio View Post
Gentlemen,

The number of completed poured floors is 36. The current floor being formed is the 37th floor, a typical residential floor. According to my calculations, the building is 41 percent of total height (measured from the sidewalk grade to the currently formed floor, excluding the core and core form).

The core form represents a single story, plus working platform above. A good photo to confirm this, is Mr. Berenholtz photo of the core form with the ESB and Chrysler Building in the background, with the new Potain crane partially assembled. This photo was taken nearly straight-on to the core form, with a single opening below it. There would only be a single core story being formed and poured within.

Down below, on 56 Street, perimeter beam reinforcement appears on the platform above the concrete pump station, and on the Park Avenue side of the same cam view, partial steel decking has been installed on the second level of the structure.

Exactly...Thank you!
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9768
Bolzeng
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2790

From 9 october to 21 november.

CCs77, King of Construction, sgollis liked this post
Bolzeng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM   #9769
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

The building at this time, look at the shadow on the IBM Building of the Sun, which at this time is almost perpendicular (but not completely) to the facades. It almost reach the top of the building, if you add the little angle at this time, it must be even or a little bit taller than the 603 ft of that building. (I go with the counting of jconyc of 36 floors on the perimeter and 39 on the core, including the one they are working on now - 604.5 ft)

SMCYB, Radio Raheem liked this post

Last edited by CCs77; November 21st, 2013 at 02:52 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #9770
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Next floor slabs for the Apple facility seem to be in place now. I believe that puts it at street level.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:53 AM   #9771
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
The building at this time, look at the shadow on the IBM Building of the Sun, which at this time is almost perpendicular (but not completely) to the facades. It almost reach the top of the building, if you add the little angle at this time, it must be even or a little bit taller than the 603 ft of that building. (I go with the counting of jconyc of 36 floors on the perimeter and 39 on the core, including the one they are working on now - 604.5 ft)

Good ol' math.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:56 AM   #9772
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Looks like Kanto will have to drop a floor on his diagrams. Glad we got this cleared up.

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:57 PM   #9773
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Even measuring the whole thing, for me is still a bit less than two floors, but in any case you shouldn't count it that way (the whole thing) since not all is "used" I mean, it takes a bit of space of the floor bellow and they need some space to spare above the floor they are working at the moment. Besides, the "roof" of the climbing system is bellow what you see, there is a working space above it, with some kind of handrail or protection that makes it look taller.

I'm posting a scheme when you see that more clearly.

And this scheme from the manufacturer, where you can clearly see they work with only a floor at a time encased inside the climbing system.
http://www.doka.com/web/references/index.en.php#12816

This is a better pic to assess the height of the core than the webcam I used, so I agree with you. Thanks for correcting me. I will apply this correction to my next diagram update

According to this pic the current height should be 610 feet, or 186 meters when measured to the roof of the core climbing form structure, which is a little above the top of the 39th apparent floor

Edit: I used this pic for my diagrams but I agree with you that this is a less accurate pic:

CCs77 liked this post

Last edited by Kanto; November 22nd, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM   #9774
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

You know was taking a good look at the site this morning the steel they are putting up on the corner of 57/Park seems very massive, on the second they have put some very large X bracing that seem appropriate for a fairly tall structure. I know in the drawings showed a building maybe 5 stories tall but these appear overly large for a structure that small. does anyone know anything more about how big this building will be or possible tenants??? it going up fast with at least two flat beds of steel arriving every morning
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 07:30 PM   #9775
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Construction on the "apple store" is well underway. Looks like it has a few floors to it.

t94 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:15 PM   #9776
Salvatore Varriale

Likes (Received): 5

Guys can you tell me if there is some damping systems in this building like tuned mass damper or water tank at the top of the building. This system could be very good to reduce the total drift of the skyscraper.
Please let me know
Salvatore Varriale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:26 PM   #9777
wespje1990

Likes (Received): 805

This tower is a sign of the future, and i think this could be that building everybody will still talk about a hundred years from now just like with Chrysler and ESB. There are so many new towers that are built in all those years in NY, but only a few turn out as absolute classics. Of course there are extreme pencil towers like this all in China for example, but this one is so freaking tall and slim, it will certainly blow our imagination. This tower will be an absolute Icon.

Kanto, rychlik liked this post
wespje1990 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:37 PM   #9778
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatore Varriale View Post
Guys can you tell me if there is some damping systems in this building like tuned mass damper or water tank at the top of the building. This system could be very good to reduce the total drift of the skyscraper.
Please let me know
Yes there will be a mass damper in the tower.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9779
forumaniac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 658

What is an actual high (built)?
forumaniac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 10:01 PM   #9780
Salvatore Varriale

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Yes there will be a mass damper in the tower.
Tim are u sure? And you know which kind of mass dumper is? and where it will be collocate?
Salvatore Varriale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall