daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 29th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #9881
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Indeed, a new shining floor. If they work tomorrow I think they place all the other rebar for the columns and maybe lift some forms soon.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9882
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28189

slippery when wet.

[IMG]http://i44.************/2j63gy.jpg[/IMG]
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #9883
Draegen
I LIKE SKYSCRAPERS

Likes (Received): 44

Is it worth taking a picture of this from the street? I can go basically anytime i want but I'm not sure the picture would really show anything new.
Draegen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #9884
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

When I was looking up from the base back in July I couldn't even see the core, so no way you'd be able to see action now. If you were a few blocks away on park, 56th, or 57th you could. It's still worth the trip. The building looks much taller in person.
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #9885
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22547

thought I saw the cranes and the top of the core peeking through from the GWB when I was stuck in traffic the other day.
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #9886
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draegen View Post
Is it worth taking a picture of this from the street? I can go basically anytime i want but I'm not sure the picture would really show anything new.
That is really up to you.
You may show some detail not shown before.
Or also you can find a different angle or spot from where to take the shot. I can think of taking a picture on 56th between Park and Lexington (or/and further east) also could be a picture from Central Park or wathever other place you find.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #9887
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

I've been traveling for the last few weeks...have been very curious how much my view would change while I was gone...

Here's a pic from November 4:

And here's the view this morning (November 30):

Not quite as much growth as I was expecting after 26 days (about 2 apparent floors), but I'm sure that's because of the MEP floor that was in the mix.

One thing that is new for me is a clear view of the "whiteness" of the concrete - I'm glad (and relieved!) to see that it really does shine (at least from a few blocks away on a clear sunny morning).

(...also, I just noticed that the One57 crane is finally gone! good riddence!!!!...)

SMCYB, Swiddle, _Forum_, L.A.F.2., NYCrulz and 5 others liked this post
57th&1st no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #9888
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
That is really up to you.
You may show some detail not shown before.
Or also you can find a different angle or spot from where to take the shot. I can think of taking a picture on 56th between Park and Lexington (or/and further east) also could be a picture from Central Park or wathever other place you find.
I'd like to see a photo from Sheep Meadow.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM   #9889
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

Perimeter rebar went in this morning. We should see perimeter forms jump Monday unless they work tomorrow.

Kanto liked this post
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #9890
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 295

Does anyone know when and how the 56th Street Favco will be dismantled?

I suppose it will stay where it is and get removed by the Potain. Or it will jump itself down to near street level and then get removed by a mobile crane and/or the Potain.

.Kanto, iamxeddiex, McSky, JuanPaulo, streetscapeer and 96540 others disliked this post
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #9891
CCs77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
I've been traveling for the last few weeks...have been very curious how much my view would change while I was gone...
Cool, I was about to ask you for more pictures with your 57th st. camera (I was waiting for the building to grow one or two more floors to ask)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I'd like to see a photo from Sheep Meadow.
I don't think it is visible from there yet, since I think the GM Building is between. I think the best places are on the southern side of the park, in an angle so the GM Building is keep at the left side of 432 Park. Or maybe on the northestern area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Does anyone know when and how the 56th Street Favco will be dismantled?

I suppose it will stay where it is and get removed by the Potain. Or it will jump itself down to near street level and then get removed by a mobile crane and/or the Potain.
I don't know, but someone at SSP suggested that they could use the pieces of the tower to raise the other crane instead of bring new pieces. Maybe they just dismantle the boom with the cabin and keep the tower support, dismantling it little by little as they pass the pieces to the other crane.

Kanto liked this post
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #9892
Dbronx

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:

If you referring to the counterweight, yes, it hangs at the rear of the crane, as you can see in the picture of this model I posted when they installed it.
Notice that it also moves a bit forwards or backwards as the boom is inclined or not. When the boom is up, the counterweight moves inwards and when the boom is extended, the counterweight moves outwards, so it counters the weight better.
These are such cool models; I'm not a crane geek but I'm always amazed these things exist - Speaking of which, can someone explain or point to info that shows how this crane hoists itself up - I can only imagine it magically levitating!

Quote:
I don't know, but someone at SSP suggested that they could use the pieces of the tower to raise the other crane instead of bring new pieces. Maybe they just dismantle the boom with the cabin and keep the tower support, dismantling it little by little as they pass the pieces to the other crane.
I seem to recall these are two different model cranes (Marcatio ?) so I don't think the parts are interchangeable. I do recall seeing a substantial base being prepped for the 56th crane while the 57th crane was just "placed" on the concrete in the basement. Yet the 57th crane is rising higher - go figure.
Dbronx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:09 AM   #9893
CCs77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbronx View Post
These are such cool models; I'm not a crane geek but I'm always amazed these things exist - Speaking of which, can someone explain or point to info that shows how this crane hoists itself up - I can only imagine it magically levitating!
I don't know exactly how it works, but I suppose that it works with some hydraulic jacks, similar as the core lifting system works. The crane must have a part of the tower at least two or three levels inside the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbronx View Post
I seem to recall these are two different model cranes (Marcatio ?) so I don't think the parts are interchangeable. I do recall seeing a substantial base being prepped for the 56th crane while the 57th crane was just "placed" on the concrete in the basement. Yet the 57th crane is rising higher - go figure.
Not sure, but I guess what it is different is the boom, the cabin and all the mechanisms. Could be and makes sense, that the pieces of the tower that support them are exactly the same.
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:18 AM   #9894
JohnFlint1985
I love New York

Likes (Received): 6558

as of 11.30.2013
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism.” Thomas Jefferson
"We Shall Never Surrender." Winston Churchill
“Not all those who wander are lost.” J.R.R. Tolkien
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
JohnFlint1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:45 AM   #9895
Andre_idol
Fluorescent Adolescent

Likes (Received): 418

Nice close ups on the windows...trying to figure out how they "fit in" though...
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM   #9896
mustang997

Likes (Received): 0

They have to do something about the concrete, don't they? It can't be left like this? And the gap between window frame and concrete was already discussed here, but it looks like it's quite substantial, certainly big enough for birds to land there and do their business . They'll have to put some spikes or something to prevent this.
mustang997 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9897
viewfrommywindow

Likes (Received): 242

Sunrise at 432 Park Ave!

Very sorry for the poor pic through a dirty window, next time I'll open it. the building should be at the Four Seasons height in about a month but from my angle I think it will be February before it appears to be taller. Next one will be New Year's day.
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:56 PM   #9898
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang997 View Post
And the gap between window frame and concrete was already discussed here, but it looks like it's quite substantial, certainly big enough for birds to land there and do their business . They'll have to put some spikes or something to prevent this.
Potential future nickname "The Shitstick"

seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:07 PM   #9899
Radio Raheem
Fight the power!

Likes (Received): 149

They are dismantling the 56th street crane at this moment.
Radio Raheem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 10:08 PM   #9900
usafarid
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

It reste juste 50 meter to see 432 park avenue rise on the skyline!!
usafarid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall