daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 25th, 2014, 07:59 PM   #10721
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6801

tetris limited edition?

Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #10722
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

From today's NYPost:
http://nypost.com/2014/02/24/park-hy...-debut-aug-28/

Quote:
In what its developers regard as a monumental milestone, CIM Group and Harry Macklowe’s spectacular 432 Park Avenue has just risen past the halfway point — nearly 750 feet, en route to its eventual height of 1,396 feet.

Alas, the four handsome retail townhouses, which front on East 57th Street, have been reduced to zero feet.

Many project-watchers had mistakenly believed the façades, offering 75 feet of precious sidewalk frontage, would remain to provide an elegant face for glamorous new stores.
The developers are replacing them with a new, glass-fronted retail structure slightly taller than the still-standing adjacent ones, like Jacob & Co. next door, which declined to sell its properties.

The new retail facility will be physically connected to the Rafael Viñoly-designed condominium tower behind it, but have no internal access.

Its landscaped rooftop will be used for private dining and events by 432 Park Ave. residents — two-thirds of whom are “US-based” buyers. Often overlooked is that 432 Park Ave. also includes the corner of Park Avenue and East 56th Street, the former Drake Hotel site. CIM and Macklowe are putting up a freestanding retail box now rising as a steel frame.

600West218 liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #10723
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

I'm pretty sure this is the crane sticking up on a webcam I discovered showing midtown from downtown.

http://www.sheratontribecaview.com/

iamtheSTIG liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2014, 10:15 PM   #10724
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 849

Here's a nice video and some good info on the building.
If you haven't seen it already, on YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBCeXkKFSU

For one there's a close-up of the buildings facade in the clip (at 1:57)... Looks very nice.

Hudson11 liked this post

Last edited by Pohtija; February 26th, 2014 at 02:23 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:19 AM   #10725
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6488

Starchitect Rafael Vinoly Divulges 432 Park's Design Details
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...gn_details.php

Quote:
Reaching almost 1,400 feet requires a building to somehow resist the force of the wind, Viñoly explained, otherwise the building will totter back and forth like a drunken giant. "So if you're having some tea in the building, it will spill all over the place. And if you're tacky enough to have a chandelier, it will be moving around," Viñoly said to a crowd of laughter.

Here's where it gets technical: this movement is caused by the peak acceleration in a building, and in the case of 432 Park, it would have an acceleration of 30 milli-g. "So, everybody who lived there would be freaking out and we couldn't have that," Viñoly said.

So he decided to carve the superscraper up into six chunks, each of which are 12 stories. These pieces are separated by gaps that help create a collecting pool for the wind, and so reduce the effects of the wind on the building. This helped sober the building up, but there was still some movement. A test was needed. "We went to a place in Canada for a movement simulation to find out what the hell 8 milli-g feels like," he said, referring to the slight movement.

They found out that at such a low force, residents would feel nothing in the building. But if they stand on their balconies and look down the facade, Viñoly said, they "would get not one but two heart attacks."

So ultimate, the team put something called a motion dampener in the gaps. To the untrained eye, these devices look like large generators, and are able to reduce the force down even further so that it won't be noticeable.

Along with separating the building into six blocks, Viñoly's other method for sway control is a particular design for the stairs. But unlike regular ones, scissor stairs are packed into a tight core that both saves space, allowing open floorplans for the apartments, and also creates the structural conditions necessary for the building to rise to its ideal height. It's "one of those innovations that literally makes the building work," Viñoly said.

xXFallenXx liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #10726
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion99 View Post
Here is the future interior:

I wish I was the rich person to live here.
I think this pic is phenomenal. This would be the best view in the city.

I thought we had another jump? Was looking forward to the new diagram No bldg. passes this time?
Old February 26th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10727
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Likes (Received): 246

Vinoly is wrong.

Chandeliers, per se, are not tacky. Depends on the kind of chandelier you have hanging from the ceiling.
Old February 26th, 2014, 08:52 AM   #10728
LadyAmanita

Likes (Received): 236

I remember seeing a hella cool chandelier that looked like a perfectly spherical starburst- all these slim rods with clusters of crystal at the ends. It looked hella cool, and I've always wanted one.

Philly Bud liked this post
LadyAmanita no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #10729
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

More about the interiors:

And the structural engineering:

wicca13, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by desertpunk; February 26th, 2014 at 11:26 AM.
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #10730
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigreach View Post
I thought we had another jump? Was looking forward to the new diagram No bldg. passes this time?
No, it's still between Carnegie Hall Tower and One Worldwide Plaza.

bigreach liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #10731
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
In the end, Viñoly added, he only cares about one thing: the superlative that will be bestowed on 432 Park when it is complete. "The building has no competition," he says. "The only important thing to me is that it's taller than the Freedom Tower [now known as One World Trade Center]." (Which, minus its spire, comes in at 1,368 feet.) It should be noted, however, that that was one of the few comments that didn't elicit laughter from the audience.
Damn right it will be taller than 1WTC. I'm pleased that developers aren't afraid of building bigger then the WTC.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #10732
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

You should read the responses that same quote got on Curbed.

On second thought, no, you shouldn't.
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #10733
Nonoka

Likes (Received): 254

Quote:
Quote:
In the end, Viñoly added, he only cares about one thing: the superlative that will be bestowed on 432 Park when it is complete. "The building has no competition," he says. "The only important thing to me is that it's taller than the Freedom Tower [now known as One World Trade Center]."
After having read this, I fully agree with the negative Curbed comments. Well, at least he's saying the truth and doesn't act as if he really cared about the design.
Nonoka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 04:58 PM   #10734
Maximalist
Only More is More

Likes (Received): 492

If this is what he can come up with when he doesn't care about the design, I'd love to see what he can do when he does care about the design.

Obviously it was a stupid remark, but sometimes you have to divorce the art from the artist. It's still a great building.

j-biz, DodgyEye liked this post
Maximalist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10735
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 849

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
In the end, Viñoly added, he only cares about one thing: the superlative that will be bestowed on 432 Park when it is complete. "The building has no competition," he says. "The only important thing to me is that it's taller than the Freedom Tower [now known as One World Trade Center]." (Which, minus its spire, comes in at 1,368 feet.) It should be noted, however, that that was one of the few comments that didn't elicit laughter from the audience.
Are there any videos of this interview/speech ?
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:27 AM   #10736
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Prismatic effect due to the setting sun shining right into the camera. A little ROYGBIV activity.

SMCYB liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #10737
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

432 Park's cranes can be clearly seen just to the left of the GE building from the PATH train between Harrison and Journal Square. This means that it is visible from almost every place to the Northwest or Southwest of the site. Views from the direct west are blocked by One 57 for at least another 20 floors. This will quickly begin to dominate the skyline!

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #10738
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Nah, One57 isn't directly to the west of 432Park. It's almost northwest. One Worldwide Plaza, which it will overtake by the next jump, is directly to the west.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 03:37 PM   #10739
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

dnskct

image hosted on flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2014, 07:42 PM   #10740
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Nah, One57 isn't directly to the west of 432Park. It's almost northwest. One Worldwide Plaza, which it will overtake by the next jump, is directly to the west.
It is almost northwest. If you walk along West 57th Street from east to west, 432 Park Avenue will be on the left sidewalk. If you keep walking west, you'll eventually see One57, on the right side of the street. If you look from the east side from 20 miles or so, you don't notice 432 Park Avenue. It kind of looks like it's supposed to be part of One57. And it'll be that way for another month or so, even though it is visible in the skyline.
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall