daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1121
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
If a tower is 400 m tall and 200 m wide than it is fat... no tower like that exists though
what about the abraj complex? okay its not one tower, but the complex is in fact fat, you could say so.

Highcliff liked this post
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #1122
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

If you take Abby as several buildings it's not fat but if you take it as one building it is very fat

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1123
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Showed this to my former professor, who lamented it looks like another structure "designed by the building company without any architects involved." Brought a chuckle, then a sad sigh.

GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #1124
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Showed this to my former professor, who lamented it looks like another structure "designed by the building company without any architects involved." Brought a chuckle, then a sad sigh.
Your professor sounds like a dolt. This is an engineering marvel.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1125
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I 1000% agree with you Bob

Old January 20th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1126
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
I didn't say they fit exactly with golden ratio, but the truth is the farther you go from it the more unnatural things looks, especially buildings. And actually 432 sections proportions are very close to the ratio. And without them building would look like one unproportional stick.

Then you don't get the idea of proportions, which is independent from height you know.. Tower of any height may be fat.
I'm not sure how any of these towers, or almost any skyscrapers are 'close' to it. The ratio to a fair number of places is 1.6180339887, and as far as my tired mind can understand, in the instance of buildings, that would be the ratio between the height and width. Now, I think you'll find all the buildings you've mentioned all have a ratio of at least 5, and 432 must have one of something like 10. The mention of the Parthenon and a business card by Woonsocket54 seems much better suited to the golden ratio. If a tower were to fit that, it'd be 300m tall and 185m wide. I vaguely recall hearing people talk about the ratio in reference to architecture, but I guess they must have always been talking about classical structures or stuff like window size.

I could easily be confused and wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
I think you'll notice that he didn't mention anything about engineering. I think everyone would agree that it must take some seriously great engineering to build such a tall thin structure, but the area in which there's some difference of opinion is in regard to the design. I happen to think if it was 200m shorter it'd be a totally awesome tower. As it is, I can't see what part of this design merits it being so tall.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 20th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1127
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5171

Not much of an update, but here's the site. Plus a pic of the demolition ongoing on 57th St. Pics by me.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:22 PM   #1128
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I'm not sure how any of these towers, or almost any skyscrapers are 'close' to it. The ratio to a fair number of places is 1.6180339887, and as far as my tired mind can understand, in the instance of buildings, that would be the ratio between the height and width. Now, I think you'll find all the buildings you've mentioned all have a ratio of at least 5, and 432 must have one of something like 10. The mention of the Parthenon and a business card by Woonsocket54 seems much better suited to the golden ratio. If a tower were to fit that, it'd be 300m tall and 185m wide. I vaguely recall hearing people talk about the ratio in reference to architecture, but I guess they must have always been talking about classical structures or stuff like window size.

I could easily be confused and wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not way off.

I think you'll notice that he didn't mention anything about engineering. I think everyone would agree that it must take some seriously great engineering to build such a tall thin structure, but the area in which there's some difference of opinion is in regard to the design. I happen to think if it was 200m shorter it'd be a totally awesome tower. As it is, I can't see what part of this design merits it being so tall.
Really now? So you are saying a simple design doesn't merit or must not be built tall for fear of annoying the eyes of a few hypercritical people? What, do all tall buildings have to have spirals, shards, tapers, etc to be worthy of being built? Get over yourself. This is being built to maximize views and floor space. It's simplicity is probably a selling point for its future clientele. The design isn't much worse than some of those other tall boxy buildings in places like HK which are usually adored on this forum. The fact that it reaches this height without a slim spire or false roof is amazing for NYC and will give midtown a new skyline presence.

Last edited by aquablue; January 20th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1129
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Thanks, nice viewpoint to the General Motors building.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #1130
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
I know who took that photo. Please credit and link photos!

Highcliff, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1131
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Really now? So you are saying a simple design doesn't merit or must not be built tall for fear of annoying the eyes of a few hypercritical people? What, do all tall buildings have to have spirals, shards, tapers, etc to be worthy of being built? Get over yourself. This is being built to maximize views and floor space. It's simplicity is probably a selling point for its future clientele. The design isn't much worse than some of those other tall boxy buildings in places like HK which are usually adored on this forum. The fact that it reaches this height without a slim spire or false roof is amazing for NYC and will give midtown a new skyline presence.
Sorry, get over myself? I gave my opinion, I wasn't hysterical about it, I used plain English, I didn't swear, I didn't insult anyone, and yet you tell me to get over myself for a simple disagreeing? Ok then.

I'm sorry that we disagree on this issue, but there's no need to go crazy. I can't stand those Hong Kong towers either, but I do happen to think that a building should be at least slightly interesting to justify being so visible. I can't stand most of the crap in Dubai no matter what the height for that reason.

It's a funny coincidence you talking to me actually as I was just admiring the building on your avatar earlier today. Where the devil is it?

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 21st, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #1132
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
I know who took that photo. Please credit and link photos!
I've done your job, see my post 1109, on previous page.

HK999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1133
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Why do you bully everybody lately? You can't bully people because they have a different opinion

Btw, back on topic, I think this building will be interesting for people and will find it's way into their hearts. This building is unique, there is none like it in the world meaning that it most probably will become an icon of NYC. 10 years ago NYC lost it's icons, now this building is about to return the lost iconic value to NYC

Old January 21st, 2012, 12:58 AM   #1134
araujo.lcarlos
ego sum ​​ATHEUS

Likes (Received): 694

araujo.lcarlos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 04:01 AM   #1135
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

I LoL'D.

Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:46 PM   #1136
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1707

The first time I see snow in the site!: http://www.432park.com/

Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM   #1137
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Nice, I saw it too. I hope they haven't much delay now.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:01 PM   #1138
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
This is just a god damn box. It's nothing special, except for its height. Those mechanical floors that you claim will make the building sections look like they're floating won't do anything, it'll just be a floor that has a higher ceiling height. Stop acting like this will be the greatest building in the world, I could've came up with this.

zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:28 PM   #1139
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5332

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
Is this demolition on 57th Street between Park and Madison associated with 432 Park, or is this for another project?

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1140
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
This is just a god damn box. It's nothing special, except for its height. Those mechanical floors that you claim will make the building sections look like they're floating won't do anything, it'll just be a floor that has a higher ceiling height. Stop acting like this will be the greatest building in the world, I could've came up with this.
The Aon Tower in Chicago is a box and people love it.

RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall