daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1141
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The Aon Tower in Chicago is a box and people love it.
Because Aon's a timeless classic. This isn't.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1142
Dale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 9,177
Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
Because Aon's a timeless classic. This isn't.
Why don't we wait until it gets built ?
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1143
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
This is just a god damn box. It's nothing special, except for its height. Those mechanical floors that you claim will make the building sections look like they're floating won't do anything, it'll just be a floor that has a higher ceiling height. Stop acting like this will be the greatest building in the world, I could've came up with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The Aon Tower in Chicago is a box and people love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
Because Aon's a timeless classic. This isn't.
Hold on guys, hold on. I don't think this tower's all that great as I've said, and it's design overall could probably have been conceived by a child, but I do think it takes a serious amount of engineering complexity to make something so tall and skinny viable and not just all core, even if it's fairly uninspiring visually.

I understand that stuff becomes more loved as time goes by, but it does show pretty extreme double standards to say that the Aon is objectively wonderful and this is terrible. You can think one is nice and one is not, but only as an opinion. Otherwise you're just being an *******.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1144
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Bruce is right, this will be a masterpiece of engineering and engineering is just as much a part of skyscrapers as architecture is
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1145
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

But he's parading around acting as if this building is the second coming of Jesus.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1146
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

No I'm not, I think it's really boring. I just said you have to accept that building something so stupidly tall and thin is an engineering challenge.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1147
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
But he's parading around acting as if this building is the second coming of Jesus.
I don't see anything wrong about his enthusiasm. Fact is, I share his enthusiasm and I think this building is a masterpiece
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1148
spectre000
Moderator
 
spectre000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 7,904
Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is this demolition on 57th Street between Park and Madison associated with 432 Park, or is this for another project?
It's my understanding that it's a part of the 432 project. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1149
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I don't see anything wrong about his enthusiasm. Fact is, I share his enthusiasm and I think this building is a masterpiece
He's the same person that had ZERO enthusiasm for this project, then suddenly switched.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1150
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

I didn't have zero enthusiasm, I just didn't like the design. When someone brought up the engineering I had to at least admit that that aspect would be pretty good. I still think it's pointless and a pretty poor addition to the skyline.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1151
zapor1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 298
Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I didn't have zero enthusiasm, I just didn't like the design. When someone brought up the engineering I had to at least admit that that aspect would be pretty good. I still think it's pointless and a pretty poor addition to the skyline.
Ooh, you must have misunderstood who I aimed the comment to, it was Robert I was talking about. Sorry.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1152
ParadiseLost
Registered User
 
ParadiseLost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delft, The Hague, Rotterdam
Posts: 219
Likes (Received): 14

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me thinks this is skyline wreckingly awful. The other half of me is less cynical and thinks there is little that can go wrong with such a simplistic design once it's more than a render.
We'll see I guess.

One thing's for sure though, the (private) views will be amazing.
__________________

Highcliff liked this post
ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1153
isra60
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 49
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
It's my understanding that it's a part of the 432 project. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes!!! Look this image. It's from SP

image hosted on flickr


They are excavating the property 33 right now , and 46, 145, 45, 44, 43, 42, and 41 are to be demolished.
isra60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1154
RobertWalpole
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,607
Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
Because Aon's a timeless classic. This isn't.
That's a subjective and capricious statement. 432 Park will be a much better tower than Aon. May I ask where you live? I guarantee that if this tower were being built in your city, people would support it with great enthusiasm.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1155
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Just to knitpick, you can't say that his statement was subjective and then right after say this will be 'better' than Aon. That's definitely a subjective statement as well. I'm also not sure about whether that second bit's right. I imagine that when this is finally up, loads of people in New York will hate it for being fairly bland as they see it. Some may like it, possibly even a majority, as after all we can't really know how people will go, but trying to suggest that wherever this went up, the residents would support it is impossible to know, and I think far fetched. London's obviously my nearest huge city and whilst I don't like the Shard that much, to the casual viewer, I'd imagine it's a far more interesting structure than 432 Park Avenue, which regardless of cladding is after all just a thin box. Despite this there are tonnes of regular people who despise the Shard and so it would definitely be with 432.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1156
tim1807
faster than buildings
 
tim1807's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Den Helder
Posts: 10,325
Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by isra60 View Post
Yes!!! Look this image. It's from SP

image hosted on flickr


They are excavating the property 33 right now , and 46, 145, 45, 44, 43, 42, and 41 are to be demolished.
Thanks for the info, it's also visible on the webcam.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1157
aquablue
BANNED
 
aquablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,750
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Just to knitpick, you can't say that his statement was subjective and then right after say this will be 'better' than Aon. That's definitely a subjective statement as well. I'm also not sure about whether that second bit's right. I imagine that when this is finally up, loads of people in New York will hate it for being fairly bland as they see it. Some may like it, possibly even a majority, as after all we can't really know how people will go, but trying to suggest that wherever this went up, the residents would support it is impossible to know, and I think far fetched. London's obviously my nearest huge city and whilst I don't like the Shard that much, to the casual viewer, I'd imagine it's a far more interesting structure than 432 Park Avenue, which regardless of cladding is after all just a thin box. Despite this there are tonnes of regular people who despise the Shard and so it would definitely be with 432.
I think its funny when you say it's pointless. Pointless for who? NYC is a profit driven town, things are not built for 'art' or 'aesthetics'. You should know that by now. That is the only reason why audacious things like this can get built. This thing is going to be a hit for the owners and they will make major money off this.

The Shard is nice, but it is one of those landmark towers. How many more towers like that will London see of that stature? NYC still has potential for many more interesting towers that London could only dream of. I don't see London building countless more supertalls.

Sounds like you just don't like skyscrapers or skylines or appreciate height and presence. Seems to me like you only seem to like iconic designs and everything else is "pointless". Too many iconic designs will look strange and ruin a skyline. There is always room for powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings.

Those HK towers you can't stand are some of the highest quality towers in the world, and yet they are not good enough for you, same with the Shard. I think someone has very very high expectations for skyscraper construction in the 21st century developed world.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1158
aquablue
BANNED
 
aquablue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,750
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Why do you bully everybody lately? You can't bully people because they have a different opinion

Btw, back on topic, I think this building will be interesting for people and will find it's way into their hearts. This building is unique, there is none like it in the world meaning that it most probably will become an icon of NYC. 10 years ago NYC lost it's icons, now this building is about to return the lost iconic value to NYC
Yeah, and by saying that you are passively attempting to bully ME for stating MY opinions. If you think that is bullying, I don't know what to say...

In fact, your victim mentality is starting to get on everyone's nerves.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1159
Bruce.Tenmile
Registered User
 
Bruce.Tenmile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Denver, UK
Posts: 391
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I think its funny when you say it's pointless. Pointless for who? NYC is a profit driven town, things are not built for 'art' or 'aesthetics'. You should know that by now. That is the only reason why audacious things like this can get built. This thing is going to be a hit for the owners and they will make major money off this.

The Shard is nice, but it is one of those landmark towers. How many more towers like that will London see of that stature? NYC still has potential for many more interesting towers that London could only dream of. I don't see London building countless more supertalls.

Sounds like you just don't like skyscrapers or skylines or appreciate height and presence. Seems to me like you only seem to like iconic designs and everything else is "pointless". Too many iconic designs will look strange and ruin a skyline. There is always room for powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings.

Those HK towers you can't stand are some of the highest quality towers in the world, and yet they are not good enough for you, same with the Shard. I think someone has very very high expectations for skyscraper construction in the 21st century developed world.
Who said the word 'pointless'? In that post I certainly didn't. Why can't you just accept my opinion differs to yours. I don't know if I'd say you were being a bully, but you're certainly being confrontational. I haven't said you're wrong, or that you must have very low expectations. Why must I have high expectations if I don't like the towers you think are fantastic? Maybe I like stuff which you hate. I wouldn't get angry with you for that. It's all subjective man.

You say there's room for 'powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings' and I entirely agree with you there. The thing is, in my opinion this tower in no way has a conservative presence, something this tall even in NYC will have a huge presence. Why can't we just agree to disagree? I'm not assuming you have low standards for liking this, we just like different things. I don't think towers should always be incredibly imaginative and strange to look at. I've never said they shouldn't build this, who would I be to say that? All I keep giving is my opinion that I would love this tower if it was about 250m, then it'd be a 'powerful tall tower...with a conservative presence that...doesn't...clash with other buildings'.

I know London's probably not due any more supertalls, and I don't really care. NYC has one of the best skyline's ever and it's way more interesting. London is pretty iconic, but in terms of skyscrapers it just can't compete. I only mentioned London at all because Robert suggested that residents of a city must love tall buildings, and by using a close to home example which he might accept as grounds for my reasoning I could illustrate that that simply isn't true.

It's a universal truth that when people trade opinions on any subject on the internet you will always get people who just can't accept that we don't all agree and that that's just fine.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1160
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yeah, and by saying that you are passively attempting to bully ME for stating MY opinions. If you think that is bullying, I don't know what to say...

In fact, your victim mentality is starting to get on everyone's nerves.
Your behavior towards people with different opinions than your's is rather agressive I am a huge fan of this building but telling someone to "get over yourself" if he disagrees is not appropriate
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu