daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #1141
zapor1

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The Aon Tower in Chicago is a box and people love it.
Because Aon's a timeless classic. This isn't.

Highcliff liked this post
zapor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:56 PM   #1142
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapor1 View Post
Why don't we wait until it gets built ?

Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:11 PM   #1143
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
This is just a god damn box. It's nothing special, except for its height. Those mechanical floors that you claim will make the building sections look like they're floating won't do anything, it'll just be a floor that has a higher ceiling height. Stop acting like this will be the greatest building in the world, I could've came up with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The Aon Tower in Chicago is a box and people love it.
Quote:
Hold on guys, hold on. I don't think this tower's all that great as I've said, and it's design overall could probably have been conceived by a child, but I do think it takes a serious amount of engineering complexity to make something so tall and skinny viable and not just all core, even if it's fairly uninspiring visually.

I understand that stuff becomes more loved as time goes by, but it does show pretty extreme double standards to say that the Aon is objectively wonderful and this is terrible. You can think one is nice and one is not, but only as an opinion. Otherwise you're just being an *******.

Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1144
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Bruce is right, this will be a masterpiece of engineering and engineering is just as much a part of skyscrapers as architecture is

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #1145
zapor1

But he's parading around acting as if this building is the second coming of Jesus.

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:30 PM   #1146
Bruce.Tenmile

No I'm not, I think it's really boring. I just said you have to accept that building something so stupidly tall and thin is an engineering challenge.

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:31 PM   #1147
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
But he's parading around acting as if this building is the second coming of Jesus.
I don't see anything wrong about his enthusiasm. Fact is, I share his enthusiasm and I think this building is a masterpiece

Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:37 PM   #1148
spectre000

Likes (Received): 5170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is this demolition on 57th Street between Park and Madison associated with 432 Park, or is this for another project?
It's my understanding that it's a part of the 432 project. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

spectre000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 11:42 PM   #1149
zapor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
I don't see anything wrong about his enthusiasm. Fact is, I share his enthusiasm and I think this building is a masterpiece
He's the same person that had ZERO enthusiasm for this project, then suddenly switched.

Old January 21st, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1150
Bruce.Tenmile

I didn't have zero enthusiasm, I just didn't like the design. When someone brought up the engineering I had to at least admit that that aspect would be pretty good. I still think it's pointless and a pretty poor addition to the skyline.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:04 AM   #1151
zapor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I didn't have zero enthusiasm, I just didn't like the design. When someone brought up the engineering I had to at least admit that that aspect would be pretty good. I still think it's pointless and a pretty poor addition to the skyline.
Ooh, you must have misunderstood who I aimed the comment to, it was Robert I was talking about. Sorry.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #1152
ParadiseLost

Likes (Received): 14

Not sure how I feel about this. Part of me thinks this is skyline wreckingly awful. The other half of me is less cynical and thinks there is little that can go wrong with such a simplistic design once it's more than a render.
We'll see I guess.

One thing's for sure though, the (private) views will be amazing.

ParadiseLost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1153
isra60

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
It's my understanding that it's a part of the 432 project. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes!!! Look this image. It's from SP

image hosted on flickr

They are excavating the property 33 right now , and 46, 145, 45, 44, 43, 42, and 41 are to be demolished.
isra60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM   #1154
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
That's a subjective and capricious statement. 432 Park will be a much better tower than Aon. May I ask where you live? I guarantee that if this tower were being built in your city, people would support it with great enthusiasm.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:44 PM   #1155
Bruce.Tenmile

Just to knitpick, you can't say that his statement was subjective and then right after say this will be 'better' than Aon. That's definitely a subjective statement as well. I'm also not sure about whether that second bit's right. I imagine that when this is finally up, loads of people in New York will hate it for being fairly bland as they see it. Some may like it, possibly even a majority, as after all we can't really know how people will go, but trying to suggest that wherever this went up, the residents would support it is impossible to know, and I think far fetched. London's obviously my nearest huge city and whilst I don't like the Shard that much, to the casual viewer, I'd imagine it's a far more interesting structure than 432 Park Avenue, which regardless of cladding is after all just a thin box. Despite this there are tonnes of regular people who despise the Shard and so it would definitely be with 432.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 22nd, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #1156
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by isra60 View Post
Yes!!! Look this image. It's from SP

image hosted on flickr

They are excavating the property 33 right now , and 46, 145, 45, 44, 43, 42, and 41 are to be demolished.
Thanks for the info, it's also visible on the webcam.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:12 PM   #1157
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Just to knitpick, you can't say that his statement was subjective and then right after say this will be 'better' than Aon. That's definitely a subjective statement as well. I'm also not sure about whether that second bit's right. I imagine that when this is finally up, loads of people in New York will hate it for being fairly bland as they see it. Some may like it, possibly even a majority, as after all we can't really know how people will go, but trying to suggest that wherever this went up, the residents would support it is impossible to know, and I think far fetched. London's obviously my nearest huge city and whilst I don't like the Shard that much, to the casual viewer, I'd imagine it's a far more interesting structure than 432 Park Avenue, which regardless of cladding is after all just a thin box. Despite this there are tonnes of regular people who despise the Shard and so it would definitely be with 432.
I think its funny when you say it's pointless. Pointless for who? NYC is a profit driven town, things are not built for 'art' or 'aesthetics'. You should know that by now. That is the only reason why audacious things like this can get built. This thing is going to be a hit for the owners and they will make major money off this.

The Shard is nice, but it is one of those landmark towers. How many more towers like that will London see of that stature? NYC still has potential for many more interesting towers that London could only dream of. I don't see London building countless more supertalls.

Sounds like you just don't like skyscrapers or skylines or appreciate height and presence. Seems to me like you only seem to like iconic designs and everything else is "pointless". Too many iconic designs will look strange and ruin a skyline. There is always room for powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings.

Those HK towers you can't stand are some of the highest quality towers in the world, and yet they are not good enough for you, same with the Shard. I think someone has very very high expectations for skyscraper construction in the 21st century developed world.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:21 PM   #1158
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Why do you bully everybody lately? You can't bully people because they have a different opinion

Btw, back on topic, I think this building will be interesting for people and will find it's way into their hearts. This building is unique, there is none like it in the world meaning that it most probably will become an icon of NYC. 10 years ago NYC lost it's icons, now this building is about to return the lost iconic value to NYC
Yeah, and by saying that you are passively attempting to bully ME for stating MY opinions. If you think that is bullying, I don't know what to say...

In fact, your victim mentality is starting to get on everyone's nerves.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1159
Bruce.Tenmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I think its funny when you say it's pointless. Pointless for who? NYC is a profit driven town, things are not built for 'art' or 'aesthetics'. You should know that by now. That is the only reason why audacious things like this can get built. This thing is going to be a hit for the owners and they will make major money off this.

The Shard is nice, but it is one of those landmark towers. How many more towers like that will London see of that stature? NYC still has potential for many more interesting towers that London could only dream of. I don't see London building countless more supertalls.

Sounds like you just don't like skyscrapers or skylines or appreciate height and presence. Seems to me like you only seem to like iconic designs and everything else is "pointless". Too many iconic designs will look strange and ruin a skyline. There is always room for powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings.

Those HK towers you can't stand are some of the highest quality towers in the world, and yet they are not good enough for you, same with the Shard. I think someone has very very high expectations for skyscraper construction in the 21st century developed world.
Who said the word 'pointless'? In that post I certainly didn't. Why can't you just accept my opinion differs to yours. I don't know if I'd say you were being a bully, but you're certainly being confrontational. I haven't said you're wrong, or that you must have very low expectations. Why must I have high expectations if I don't like the towers you think are fantastic? Maybe I like stuff which you hate. I wouldn't get angry with you for that. It's all subjective man.

You say there's room for 'powerful tall towers with a conservative presence that don't clash with other buildings' and I entirely agree with you there. The thing is, in my opinion this tower in no way has a conservative presence, something this tall even in NYC will have a huge presence. Why can't we just agree to disagree? I'm not assuming you have low standards for liking this, we just like different things. I don't think towers should always be incredibly imaginative and strange to look at. I've never said they shouldn't build this, who would I be to say that? All I keep giving is my opinion that I would love this tower if it was about 250m, then it'd be a 'powerful tall tower...with a conservative presence that...doesn't...clash with other buildings'.

I know London's probably not due any more supertalls, and I don't really care. NYC has one of the best skyline's ever and it's way more interesting. London is pretty iconic, but in terms of skyscrapers it just can't compete. I only mentioned London at all because Robert suggested that residents of a city must love tall buildings, and by using a close to home example which he might accept as grounds for my reasoning I could illustrate that that simply isn't true.

It's a universal truth that when people trade opinions on any subject on the internet you will always get people who just can't accept that we don't all agree and that that's just fine.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; January 22nd, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1160
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Yeah, and by saying that you are passively attempting to bully ME for stating MY opinions. If you think that is bullying, I don't know what to say...

In fact, your victim mentality is starting to get on everyone's nerves.
Your behavior towards people with different opinions than your's is rather agressive I am a huge fan of this building but telling someone to "get over yourself" if he disagrees is not appropriate

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall