daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #12421
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Here's an example of a freeway overpass column that was repaired after years of corrosion. All poured concrete, even the high end stuff on this building, has imperfections and will degrade to some degree over time. Someone posted photos of such imperfections about a year ago. I think the concrete on this building would be better with an outer coating.

http://www.hj3.com/

Dubai Skyscraper, Nonoka liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2014, 03:42 PM   #12422
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

^ I'm sure the concrete will be maintained properly. This is a $1 billion building where billionaires reside.
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM   #12423
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Paint serves no functional purpose and is a maintenance nightmare. Once a building is painted, it has to repainted every few years. This is quite expensive and is a completely needless expense.

Paint can also harm buildings. For example, painting brick can trap water and lead to rapid disintegration of the brick. Concrete is not affected in quite the same way, but it still traps moisture.

In my opinion, raw material is always better looking than paint. Exposed raw materials are typically used with expensive/durable material while paint is normally the cheapest option for covering up cheap material. While concrete is seen by some people as cheap, I view it as modern masonry and masonry should (almost) never be painted.

That's my opinion at least. I've seen far too many brick and stone homes around here ruined by paint. They become less desirable and eventually fall into disrepair. Long term, the raw brick and stone homes are worth much more.

seb.nl, sweet-d, Kanto, muck308, valdano7007 liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #12424
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Here's an example of a freeway overpass column that was repaired after years of corrosion. All poured concrete, even the high end stuff on this building, has imperfections and will degrade to some degree over time. Someone posted photos of such imperfections about a year ago. I think the concrete on this building would be better with an outer coating.

http://www.hj3.com/
When done properly concrete needs no protective coating. The pantheon is doing just fine after nearly 2000 years. In many instances applying an impermeable coating will actually shorten the lifespan of a structure.

Highway overpasses are not made of he same grade of concrete. It is likely the concrete for that column was poorly formulated or poured in bad conditions. If in really bad shape, a penetrating epoxy coating can be used to prevent further spalling. It is unlikely that the concrete work on 432 will be so badly done that it will crumble and require that type of treatment.

Hemeroscopium, Kanto liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #12425
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

One can be sure, that on a building like this, especially one as costly and as prominent, that the architectural concrete for the columns and spandrel beams used will be of the highest quality. Concrete has been around since the Roman times, and has been improved with time. Degradation of concrete can occur with improper or inadequate concrete mix design (improper ratio of water/cement, admixture additions), inadequate cover of concrete over reinforcement, improper placement procedures, segregation of the aggregates, dirty water in the concrete mix, inadequate protection in cold weather (causing freezing), evaporation of the water in hot weather, among other variables.

As another person noted, the Pantheon in Rome is doing quite fine, thank you.

There will be no painting of the exterior of this building. Paint peels, degrades, and has to be renewed. Can you imagine repainting a tall structure like this? It would be impractical, first of all, and the cost would be prohibitive. Not to mention the safety of those performing the task. As defiler notes correctly, when concrete is done properly, no protection is necessary. Also, the highway requirements are somewhat different, in that the primary purpose is often just functional and structural, whereby 432 Park Avenue's exterior concrete is architectural as well as structural. The appearance of this ultra-luxury building on the Manhattan skyline is paramount. I am sure that the design mix was very carefully determined, and rigorously tested. In addition, each batch of concrete arriving at the job site is tested.

hunser, Kanto, 57th&1st liked this post
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #12426
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I have seen buildings with perfectly white concrete dating back at least 50 years that look fine without any glaring imperfections, I just wonder how different this concrete is to that kind.

iamtheSTIG liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #12427
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5331

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
All poured concrete, even the high end stuff on this building, has imperfections and will degrade to some degree over time. Someone posted photos of such imperfections about a year ago. I think the concrete on this building would be better with an outer coating.
How does this differ from other types building materials used? Bricks don't like vibrations and tend to crack. Glass and steel cladding need to be replaced afther 30-40 years because they look all worn out, their seals starting to fail, color loss, windows that become hazy....Synthetic, false concrete panels, thin layers of nature stone do even worse. They tend to come lose afther x years endangering pedestrians. Full nature stone buildings? Eaten away by sore rain that falls in our cities....
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #12428
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I wonder if it's possible to treat concrete with a transparent aquaphobic coating?
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 08:34 PM   #12429
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Even the billionaires that wind up residing here will not look as closely at the concrete (zoom lens within feet) as the twenty members that post here. Lol

j-biz, SMCYB liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2014, 10:10 PM   #12430
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

After many days off, the 59th street cam is back in service, although the top of the building is currently out of view

But since it conserved the same position, it make it easy to do a gif with the progress of the last few weeks...

Last edited by CCs77; July 19th, 2014 at 10:36 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:15 AM   #12431
ONUBA
£$TèßÂN

Likes (Received): 20

Fuy a ver en google earth el edificio nuevo pak avenue 432 y no me sale en 3D, ni si quiera el 1 world trade center acabada la fachada. A vosotros tambien?
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #12432
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1203

From Hunterspoint (Queens):

Midtown skyline by fotovandaag, on Flickr

Midtown skyline by fotovandaag, on Flickr
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:16 AM   #12433
VRS

Likes (Received): 11521

its remind me of = Gotham City *last batman movie.
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #12434
Xoltage
Xoltage

Likes (Received): 595

del
Xoltage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #12435
deadhead262

Likes (Received): 223

I have been very impressed with this project. Compared to One57 and 1wtc there have been minimal delays.

Kanto liked this post
deadhead262 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #12436
ONUBA
£$TèßÂN

Likes (Received): 20

Do you see the building in 3D in google earth?
Old July 20th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #12437
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONUBA View Post
Fuy a ver en google earth el edificio nuevo pak avenue 432 y no me sale en 3D, ni si quiera el 1 world trade center acabada la fachada. A vosotros tambien?
No está. No se como funciona eso, pero supongo que al estar todavía en construcción, no lo incluyen aún.

Esa información, todos los edificios en 3D, así como las imagenes satelitales, están alojadas en gigantescos servidores, y se cargan via internet al acceder a ellos, todo el que accede ve lo mismo. Es muy poco probable que unos lo vean y otros no.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #12438
P2000
Find yourself and be that

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
No está. No se como funciona eso, pero supongo que al estar todavía en construcción, no lo incluyen aún.

Esa información, todos los edificios en 3D, así como las imagenes satelitales, están alojadas en gigantescos servidores, y se cargan via internet al acceder a ellos, todo el que accede ve lo mismo. Es muy poco probable que unos lo vean y otros no.
Hola,
Puede descargar modelos 3D para usarlos en Google Earth desde https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/
Buscas por ejemplo '432 Park Avenue' y entras en la página del edificio, le das a descargar (download) y seleccionas el archivo KMZ.
Abres el Google Earth, vas a 'Archivo' -> 'Abrir...' y seleccionas el archivo descargado, y te llevará directamente a su ubicación.
Espero haber solucionado las dudas
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
You can download 3D models for use in Google Earth from https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/
Search for example '432 Park Avenue' and enter the building's page, hit download and choose the KMZ file.
Open the Google Earth, go to 'File' -> 'Open ...' and choose the downloaded file, and will take you directly to it location.
I hope I have solved the doubts
P2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #12439
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
How does this differ from other types building materials used? Bricks don't like vibrations and tend to crack. Glass and steel cladding need to be replaced afther 30-40 years because they look all worn out, their seals starting to fail, color loss, windows that become hazy....Synthetic, false concrete panels, thin layers of nature stone do even worse. They tend to come lose afther x years endangering pedestrians. Full nature stone buildings? Eaten away by sore rain that falls in our cities....
I wasn't talking about other buildings. But to answer your question, the way this differs from other types of building materials used is that this one is concrete.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #12440
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 850

Picture taken by a relative last week:

[IMG]http://oi60.************/2qiv5s0.jpg[/IMG]

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall