daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2014, 02:14 PM   #12561
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

This building will never be a icon. You barely notice it when you drive through Manhattan.

erbse, Joshua Dodd liked this post
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #12562
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57863

There's nothing iconic about it except height. It's somewhat like the 40 Wall Street of the 21st century (for being one of the highest and most forgettable skyscrapers of its time at once), only much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter2 View Post
It's funny that you still remember to come here and bash this building once in awhile.
Once we allow atrocities like this tower getting celebrated by other architects, the media et al, we'll see them getting erected elsewhere. A frightening thought I'd like to overcome asap. This doesn't deserve to be celebrated in any way.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

JRQ liked this post

Last edited by erbse; July 29th, 2014 at 10:44 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #12563

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
This building will never be a icon. You barely notice it when you drive through Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewfrommywindow View Post
This morning

Mad Ave
Could you point 432 out for me, I'm having a bit of trouble.

j-biz liked this post
#99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #12564
ajbenius

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
It's the tall one that's under construction, right in the middle!

onewtclover, #99 liked this post
ajbenius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:28 PM   #12565
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Sweet!! That's how tall Silverstein's 520 W 41st street tower will be!!

200' to go!! Incredible!

Cheers
So that means it surpassed the Bank Of America Tower and is now the third tallest in New York?
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #12566
j-biz
rasorio caelum civitatem

Likes (Received): 2793

Quote:
Who drives in Manhattan?

onewtclover, Hemeroscopium liked this post
j-biz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #12567
viewfrommywindow

Likes (Received): 242

432 is very prominent along all the UES avenues all the way up to the 90's. In fact apartments for sale with of view of 432 have the view featured in their listings.

On a sad note, I'll be out of town for three months and so the next pictures that I post will be of a completed icon.
viewfrommywindow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #12568
TheYesGuy

Likes (Received): 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
There's nothing iconic about it except height. It's somewhat like the 40 Wall Street of the 21st century (for being one of the highest and most forgettable skyscrapers of its time at once), only much worse.

Once we allow atrocities like this tower getting celebrated by other architects, the media et al, we'll see them getting erected elsewhere. A frightening thought I'd like to overcome asap. This doesn't deserved to be celebrated in any way.
Or maybe some people genuinely like it because we don't all have extremely narrow taste in what is acceptable for buildings? There is nothing forgettable about the giant window grid, there's nothing else like it in the skyline and to some of us it looks striking.

k25150 liked this post
TheYesGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #12569
k25150

Likes (Received): 414

If it was a Dubai clone they'd all be complaining about how long it's taking for each floor bump.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #12570
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1203

From Queensboro Plaza (one week ago):
DSC06200 by fotovandaag, on Flickr

From the Bronx (Yankee Stadium):
DSC06209 by fotovandaag, on Flickr

From Roosevelt Island:
DSC06278 by fotovandaag, on Flickr
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #12571
3tmk
Rusty Robot

It truly has been rising at a lightning speed. Even I remember once exclaiming "where the hell did that come from", it was barely noticeable and suddenly became a focal point in the skyline.

It felt like waking up one morning and finding a brand new house built across your street.
Old July 29th, 2014, 07:20 PM   #12572
erbse
LIBERTINED

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
This is hardly a streetlevel view, since he said "you barely notice it when you drive through Manhattan".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYesGuy View Post
Or maybe some people genuinely like it
That's all fine. You can say "I like it". You can say why you like it.

But some people over here claim this to be an icon like it's reinventing modernism, which it is clearly not. You can't make that claim seem objective without looking ridiculous.

Old July 29th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #12573
TheYesGuy

Likes (Received): 305

You are far more vehement in your dislike of this tower than almost anyone who has been in support of it. You also cannot say things like

Quote:
Once we allow atrocities like this tower getting celebrated by other architects, the media et al, we'll see them getting erected elsewhere. A frightening thought I'd like to overcome asap. This doesn't deserved to be celebrated in any way.
then follow up by saying that it's okay for people to say that they like the tower. Just calm the rhetoric a little and people will stop antagonizing you about your posting.

MarshallKnight, erbse, streetscapeer liked this post
TheYesGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:16 PM   #12574
Pohtija
Dragonlike

Likes (Received): 846

Quote:
This building will never be a icon...
It already is !

And you are right about one thing... It's mostly because of the iconic height, or to be more specific -> the iconic height to width ratio !... But there are many other features in it's shape and design also...

Last edited by Pohtija; July 29th, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
Pohtija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #12575
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohtija View Post
It already is !

And you are right about one thing... It's mostly because of the iconic height, or to be more specific -> the iconic height to width ratio !... But there are many other features in it's shape and design also...
PRECISELY! This represents an advancement in structural engineering, just like balconies on very tall buildings represent an advancement in structural engineering. People seem to only want to consider what things look like rather than what goes into making a structure what it is.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #12576
erbse
LIBERTINED

TheYesGuy, you're right. I despise this tower and am very harsh, which by itself is a reaction to people telling me I'm not allowed to criticise it. But I'll continue to do so, once in a while. It may bother people and it should.

More consideration needs to be put into architecture and urban integration, bar structural efforts that are undeniably huge for this tower. My respect for achievements in that, as I used to be a civil engineer myself.

QuantumX, Shaddorry liked this post
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:52 PM   #12577
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

Quote:
TheYesGuy, you're right. I despise this tower and am very harsh, which by itself is a reaction to people telling me I'm not allowed to criticise it. But I'll continue to do so, once in a while. It may bother people and it should.

More consideration needs to be put into architecture and urban integration, bar structural efforts that are undeniably huge for this tower. My respect for achievements in that, as I used to be a civil engineer myself.
Then, you have a well-educated opinion, which should make people respect it all the more. Many people don't really know what they are talking about.
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Shaddorry liked this post
QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:00 AM   #12578
dexter2
Pijcie portera z BŁ!

Likes (Received): 18841

Quote:
Once we allow atrocities like this tower getting celebrated by other architects, the media et al, we'll see them getting erected elsewhere. A frightening thought I'd like to overcome asap. This doesn't deserve to be celebrated in any way.

Why am I talking with guy who still lives in XIX century? Idk... Historism is music of the past no matter how much Stern wants to bring It back... It's still not the same... It's still postmodernism.

Wake up... And appreciate for a once that It's not something like this: http://i53.************/2hq6m4l.jpg

You consider NYC one of the greatest big cities on earth if not the best. And huge part of this city are simple, modern boxes. As most of XX-century architecture they were born exactly here, in NYC. They are part of this city identity and you can bash and complain as much as you want, and you still won't change that.
432 fits NYC perfectly (especially midtown) and I personally consider it a bigger tribiute to old WTC than new WTC... That's it.

Bo gdzie byś nie był i jak by cię nie przyjęli
Nigdy nie będziesz się czuł jak na Obiecanej Ziemi

Łódź - Remonty kamienic i zabytków - 2010, 2011, 2012
Łódzkie absurdy drogowe - ŁAD na Facebooku!

NYC & EastCoast USA!

Last edited by dexter2; July 30th, 2014 at 12:29 AM.
dexter2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #12579
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3423

I must say that it looks far more impressive from a distance than I had expected. Close up it looks less charming, just very glad that the width of the skyscraper does not negatively impact the skyline from a distance.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel

Shaddorry liked this post
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 03:14 AM   #12580
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Compare the progress between July 13 and July 20, from the same vantage point in Queens. The second video has higher quality due to better weather conditions, meaning that I had to tinker with edits and contrast settings to a lesser extent.

LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall