daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1321
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Yup, they're all over our city. Our city is like 60% commie buildings, 15% old buildings 15% family houses and 10% modern buildings. I myself live in a commie building (though fortunately not in a commie block) and it's a masterpiece
Glasgow in Scotland had the most commie blocks in britain at one point. Cant remember if it was cities outside of london or not but it wouldnt surprise me if it wasnt.

This building is beautiful but a commie block is an abomination.

Funkyskunk, your pictures are class

Last edited by Hendycfc; February 7th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1322
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
The Drake was too long, the current tower would of been forced to be even thinner. And if its thinner, it needs to be taller to get the same floor space. The site is too small as is.

Street view render:
(thought I was done but I enjoy making these too much)

Nice render...

I can't wait to see people watching this building keep going up and up and up! With all the publicity focused downtown...this is kind of a sleeper project...

Yeah the webcam is down...they were blasting this morning...really wanted to see the result.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #1323
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Funkyskunk, your render is awesome, good job and thanks for it
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1324
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

I hope they get financing for this tower and it will be built. I hope it doesn't go the way of Verre...
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1325
Kanto
Roof height crusader

What's with Verre? Is it cancelled?
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1326
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I hope they get financing for this tower and it will be built. I hope it doesn't go the way of Verre...
I thought you disliked the tower? Is it just the height you want it for?
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #1327
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I thought you disliked the tower? Is it just the height you want it for?
Yes..design is bland but inoffensive.
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #1328
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
What's with Verre? Is it cancelled?
no, but it is taking too long to get financing imo
Old February 7th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #1329
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I hope that both 432 Park and Verre will get financing. They both are awesome projects
Old February 7th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1330
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
Many buildings in NYC, will share the same fate as the drake. New York wouldn't be New York, if all the old buildings were left where they were.
I won't assume you mean to say every building is disposable (ESB?), but it remains that a balance must be struck or else you not only forego a city's history but also its soul. (Or essence, to contest a point also used here.) Cities are, after all, not only the individual buildings but the civic spaces they create as they come together. If you replaced every building with something of the exact proportions but of modernist design NYC would most definitely be a different place, far less romantic and humane.

This is the paradox of minimalist architecture, for while it is incredibly graceful in the simplicity of form and detail it is also by default cold and machine-like, devoid of most emotional element. This is why such forms have been ever celebrated in isolation but eventually panned on the larger scale, be it Brasilia, Le Corbusier and any cache of Seagram's clones scattered across the US landscape. The efficiency of modernism is ultimately in contrast with the ethos of creating great spaces (not forms) that is at the heart of architecture.

Thus, the vitality of juxtaposition you're alluding to is indeed part of the lifeblood of NYC, but to suggest historic buildings are as a whole inconsequential would be untrue. Even as they aren't replicating the WTC towers, they're designing around the evocation of those monuments, rebuilding based on the same architectural spirit and acknowledging the value of the past. Not discarding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Right now what NYC needs most are supertalls to keep up with some of the upstarts around the world and even Chicago. If this goes up as a supertall I'll be cheering it on all the way, and I don't even care if it is ugly.

When it comes to supertalls height has a beauty of its own.
Really? So, in theory, if someone erected a 900M turd in Manhattan...

I get what you're saying but there is a ton of buildings being erected around the globe that, frankly, look as thought out as someone's weekend Sketch-Up project. And the peril of architecture is that these structures will likely be around for a while. Bad design cannot readily be undone, and therefore should be prevented when possible.

Height for height's sake is a mantra for the virtual world, not for actual real estate development, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
never let the new outdo the old? That like say records should never be broken. If the new isn't outdoing the old, then it shouldn't be built. The old outdoing the new is a step backwards.
On the contrary, architecture should ideally reflect on the time period in which it's been built. But it must also respect its context and location, unless built in total isolation. Hence the architectural theory of the second man that by complimenting the design of adjoining structures each new construct enahnces the civic space. It does not require copying or same design features, but it implies respect in massing and scaling, detailing and/or ornamentation, etc. The building should look like it belongs there, which arguably this is a building that could go anywhere.
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #1331
sic!

Likes (Received): 18

are there any informations when construction starts?
sic! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:08 AM   #1332
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Nope, as far as I know
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #1333
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

considering this one is so thin it should rise quite quickly!
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #1334
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5324

The webcam is down.

Maybe they've changed their minds about building it.
Maybe they got hacked.
Maybe they accidentally reached the Metro North tracks.
Maybe they got a visit from labor and Scabby the Rat.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:18 AM   #1335
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendycfc View Post
considering this one is so thin it should rise quite quickly!
I hope you're right
Old February 8th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #1336
aquablue
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I won't assume you mean to say every building is disposable (ESB?), but it remains that a balance must be struck or else you not only forego a city's history but also its soul. (Or essence, to contest a point also used here.) Cities are, after all, not only the individual buildings but the civic spaces they create as they come together. If you replaced every building with something of the exact proportions but of modernist design NYC would most definitely be a different place, far less romantic and humane.

This is the paradox of minimalist architecture, for while it is incredibly graceful in the simplicity of form and detail it is also by default cold and machine-like, devoid of most emotional element. This is why such forms have been ever celebrated in isolation but eventually panned on the larger scale, be it Brasilia, Le Corbusier and any cache of Seagram's clones scattered across the US landscape. The efficiency of modernism is ultimately in contrast with the ethos of creating great spaces (not forms) that is at the heart of architecture.

Thus, the vitality of juxtaposition you're alluding to is indeed part of the lifeblood of NYC, but to suggest historic buildings are as a whole inconsequential would be untrue. Even as they aren't replicating the WTC towers, they're designing around the evocation of those monuments, rebuilding based on the same architectural spirit and acknowledging the value of the past. Not discarding it.

Really? So, in theory, if someone erected a 900M turd in Manhattan...

I get what you're saying but there is a ton of buildings being erected around the globe that, frankly, look as thought out as someone's weekend Sketch-Up project. And the peril of architecture is that these structures will likely be around for a while. Bad design cannot readily be undone, and therefore should be prevented when possible.

Height for height's sake is a mantra for the virtual world, not for actual real estate development, IMO.

On the contrary, architecture should ideally reflect on the time period in which it's been built. But it must also respect its context and location, unless built in total isolation. Hence the architectural theory of the second man that by complimenting the design of adjoining structures each new construct enahnces the civic space. It does not require copying or same design features, but it implies respect in massing and scaling, detailing and/or ornamentation, etc. The building should look like it belongs there, which arguably this is a building that could go anywhere.
Are you a developer? If you are, then excuse me, but I don't agree. Height for height's sake can be, on certain occasions, a boon for real estate development, as it creates a market in of itself where one didn't exist. Although risky, having an extremely tall tower and a landmark will automatically attract certain people that otherwise wouldn't be interested at all in a certain area or city. It also brings prestige to the developer, architect and city. Therefore, height is about prestige when there is no logical reason to build tall, and sometimes this can create a huge windfall for the company and city, other times it can fail miserably.

Here, we have height for selling park views and penthouses that are the highest in the city. We have a logical reason for building tall as we create a certain emotional benefit for somebody (i.e, having the tallest condo in the city).

Last edited by aquablue; February 8th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old February 8th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #1337
rencharles
We will never forget

Likes (Received): 93

My God. How many subjects off topic and useless.

Now about the project, it is very strange what happened to the webcam site. Hope we can have an answer soon ...
Or maybe, this building has received an official name, and soon will have another website.
rencharles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM   #1338
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I won't assume you mean to say every building is disposable (ESB?), but it remains that a balance must be struck or else you not only forego a city's history but also its soul. (Or essence, to contest a point also used here.) Cities are, after all, not only the individual buildings but the civic spaces they create as they come together. If you replaced every building with something of the exact proportions but of modernist design NYC would most definitely be a different place, far less romantic and humane. there,.
Do you believe ESB will stand forever?
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1339
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

I don't believe that it'll be allowed to fall into disrepair, but when/if it's surrounded by 600m+ buildings, then along with all the other buildings we know it might get replaced, but I suspect that won't be for many many years. I know you weren't asking me, but there we go.

Last edited by Bruce.Tenmile; February 8th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1340
Victhor
Que paza!!!

Likes (Received): 1704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
The webcam is down.

Maybe they've changed their minds about building it.
Maybe they got hacked.
Maybe they accidentally reached the Metro North tracks.
Maybe they got a visit from labor and Scabby the Rat.
I just visited http://www.432park.com/ and noticed that so I came here to check if someone knows what's going on, but it's not only the webcam, it's the entire webpage, it seems they no longer own that web address
Victhor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall