daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2012, 12:00 AM   #1361
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre000 View Post
It states as well, "Currently Blasting on Site". So work is still ongoing. Nothing to worry about.
Too many viewers?

We are not missing any construction yet, so it is no big deal.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM   #1362
kingsc

Likes (Received): 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Funny? I think it's sad. 432 Park has a perfect height considering it's a residential building and I think that it will become the most iconic residential building in the world. On the other hand the WTC towers' height is a total joke. 1WTC is planned to be only as tall as the old North Tower and the other towers are far shorter than the Twins which is a horrible humiliation. Fortunately that humiliation is partially outdone by the fact that when measured from the north entrance 1WTC will be 1 meter taller. I think 432 Park deserves to be the tallest because 1WTC doesn't deserve it because it totaly ignores height just as the other WTC towers do even more (ignore height). They wanted to make the new WTC totaly unimpressive with height so it truly doesn't deserve to have any height titles

Well, but to end this post positively I'll go back to 432 Park. 432 Park is for me all what the new WTC should have been but ended up not being. For me 432 Park undoes the wrongs of the WTC redevelopment. When it comes to design the WTC towers are awesome but 432 Park is even more awesome and additionaly it has got height, that's something the WTC towers don't have
The WTC didn't deserve a lot of thing, namely 9/11. But what I need to understand is, why does 432 park deserve, the tallest in the city title over 1WTC.
Old February 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #1363
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsc View Post
The WTC didn't deserve a lot of thing, namely 9/11. But what I need to understand is, why does 432 park deserve, the tallest in the city title over 1WTC.
This is what I see,

He said it right in that quote. He feels the WTC is a humiliation for the city and the height is a 'joke' because it wasn't built with a taller roof height than the old North Tower. Therefore, since this building will have a taller roof height and because it isn't the WTC it deserves to be taller, in some odd way. He thinks that they made the new WTC unimpressive and didn't care enough about height on purpose so as not to win height titles (complete nonsense), so it deserves to be overtaken by this more worthy building which made the effort to have a decent height, am i right?

I'll repeat: in NYC they don't build tall if they can't afford it...so you're not going to see a mega-tall building unless it is a financially sound project even for the WTC..They build cautiously for a reason. NY'ers are practical people and money doesn't grow on trees there. They did what they could to balance design and finances. This is the most expensive building in the world. Building in NYC is not like building in Dubai or China, it is expensive. The NYC of today is not interested in breaking titles... those days are over. If you want that, go to the emerging markets.

Last edited by aquablue; February 9th, 2012 at 08:27 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #1364
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Could not agree more.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #1365
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Yeah me too. 432 has to be hugely tall as the site's so small. If the WTC towers were any taller the project'd be even more expensive and the whole thing might have had trouble getting built rather than just 2/4 stalling. Why do they 'need' to be any taller? Why 'should' the towers be taller than the twins?
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #1366
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
Yeah me too. 432 has to be hugely tall as the site's so small. If the WTC towers were any taller the project'd be even more expensive and the whole thing might have had trouble getting built rather than just 2/4 stalling. Why do they 'need' to be any taller? Why 'should' the towers be taller than the twins?
Because Kanto said so, in every thread of this forum, a couple of times, and people simply stopped thinkin' with their own heads..The same thing happened with roofs..Since he started to ignore spires, and started posting diagrams with roof heights, people started to believe that this is official..Specially new members..Since his diagrams and his opinions are on every page of every thread..I don't have anything against him, just saying how things work now since I'm here every day for a long tome now reading these threads..

It just happened..

I just hope people are aware of fact that they will sound not informed and uneducated in this field outside of this forum where things are different than here where "Kantoism" is in charge..

DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #1367
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This is what I see,

I'll repeat: in NYC they don't build tall if they can't afford it...so you're not going to see a mega-tall building unless it is a financially sound project even for the WTC..They build cautiously for a reason. NY'ers are practical people and money doesn't grow on trees there. They did what they could to balance design and finances. This is the most expensive building in the world. Building in NYC is not like building in Dubai or China, it is expensive. The NYC of today is not interested in breaking titles... those days are over. If you want that, go to the emerging markets.

Very true, although hopefully the desire to build tall continues in NYC, a city full of 3-400 meter buildings is far more impressive than one with a 600 meter tower with a few smaller ones. NYC doesn't need the worlds tallest building, nor will it ever have it again, yet it could still build bigger than say, the 400-450 meter mark. I hope someday, some developer will want to show off and build a 5-600 meter mixed use tower in NY. Hopefully one in Chicago too
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #1368
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Just think big
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1369
Jay

^I wish more people did. The US economy is in a very bad position, slowly recovering though, maybe in the next decade or two some very tall buildings will go up in several US cities, there are already a few plans.
Old February 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #1370
tim1807
faster than buildings

Let's hope so.
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #1371
Costa&Ribeiro

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyskunk2 View Post
The Drake was too long, the current tower would of been forced to be even thinner. And if its thinner, it needs to be taller to get the same floor space. The site is too small as is.

Street view render:
(thought I was done but I enjoy making these too much)
Are you kidding, right?

Or 432 Park Ave will really be that crappy glass box?
Costa&Ribeiro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2012, 08:45 PM   #1372
Bruce.Tenmile

It really looks like it right now.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1373
tim1807
faster than buildings

Yes, until now we accept this for official renders.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:42 PM   #1374
Jay

its not really the final design though, just a massing model
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #1375
Bruce.Tenmile

Oh really? Do you think so? What makes you say that? I mean surely it can't look very different on such a small site? It's gotta be a boring box with slightly interesting cladding hasn't it?
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM   #1376
Jay

It will look similar but not exactly like the picture above.
Old February 10th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #1377
gugi182
Instagram: gugi182

Likes (Received): 1520

i don't like that building let the Empire be the tallest building in midtown
Old February 10th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #1378
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugi182 View Post
i don't like that building let the Empire be the tallest building in midtown

Nooooo! ESB has been the tallest there for 80 years, something else desperately needs to take over Midtown, if not this (which will be built anyway) than a few other Central Park lined towers or West Side towers will go higher than ESB in the near future.

I love the ESB, but I'm glad NYC is getting taller buildings, it needs them.
Old February 10th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #1379
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22538

the ESB still has the most prominent location in the skyline, you can't beat that. This building will be amongst a sea of other buildings, plus it's a box. The only thing that will make it stand out is it's height.
Hudson11 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #1380
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Which is exactly why I dig this biulding. It has to be built!!
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall