daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #1421
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

No one want to live or work on the upper floors because everything will fall off the table if there is some wind.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #1422
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

I would be so scared to be in any storm while inside such a thin building. Then again I would dig the sway. Ride it like a wave lol
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1423
tim1807
faster than buildings

Use it as an attraction.
Old February 12th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1424
Hendycfc

Likes (Received): 422

Im sure if I could afford a Penthouse at the top of 432 Park I would be rich enough to have another penthouse in New York so if a hurricane came by i would go to that just cause i would be sh*ting it in 432 Park.
Hendycfc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1425
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Use it as an attraction.
ROFLMAO skyscraper surfing
Old February 12th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #1426
DinoVabec
Worldwide

Likes (Received): 752

I bet swaying here will be lighter than in Sears..

A few reasons:

1. Concrete..Concrete structures are way stronger than steel structures..

2. Structure..As you can see, this building has structural facade which means is again even more stronger..Plus, structural facade is made of squares..Those who know more about the forces will remember that squares can take more pressure than rectangles..Those columns on the facade will be about 1m or 3 feet thick..

3. Notice the space where drum shaped floors are..On these heights wind can pass through the building..Automatically forces are smaller..

4. Advanced wind-compensating dampers..In this complex system, oil hydraulic systems push a 400-ton concrete weight back and forth on one of the top floors, shifting the weight of the entire building from side to side. A sophisticated computer system carefully monitors how the wind is shifting the building and moves the weight accordingly. I bet this building will have few of those..Maybe exactly in those drum shaped floors..

At the end, look how slim this building is..Wind forces will be smaller than on wider and bigger towers..
DinoVabec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:42 AM   #1427
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3188

After seeing that diagram I have all new respect for this tower. Incredible what humans can do with concrete nowadays....
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #1428
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28201

Dino is right. It would be interesting to see the design and check how swaying will be reduced.
Eric Offereins está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1429
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

This gem is about to start rising 29 streets to the south:

http://www.observer.com/2012/02/mon-...ll-and-equity/

Mon Dieu! After a Decade, Christian de Portzamparc’s Park Avenue Shard Actually Being Built By Toll and Equity
By Matt Chaban 10:21am LAST 0 / 10NEXT
Start The Slideshow

“The project is now 10 years old, it’s time to build it!”

That was Andre Terzibachian’s response when The Observer emailed him about 400 Park Avenue South on Friday. A partner at Atelier Christian de Portzamparc, Mr. Terzibachian is responsible for many of the firm’s projects in New York, where the Pritzker Prize-winning Frenchman has had a number of surprising successes: the jagged LVMH North American headquarters on 57th Street; the skyline-redefining, outrageously priced One57 now rising a few blocks to the west; and beyond that, abutting the Hudson River, a daring complex of five towers at Riverside South.

All the while, 400 Park Avenue South was in the works the middle of Manhattan as a small-time developer tried, and eventually failed, to get an ambitious project off the ground. (Oddly enough, it is the only of Mr. de Portzamparc’s projects not somewhere on 57th Street.) Construction was set to begin after years of development and zoning approvals. Then the recession hit. In December, the site was sold to a partnership of two of the nation’s biggest builders, Toll Brothers and Sam Zell’s Equity Residential. It was not clear at the time what the fate of this crystalline castle would be, but it turns out Mr. de Portzamparc will be planting another shard in the New York skyline after all.
On February 3, Handel Architects filed a slew of new construction documents for a 42-story residential tower at 400 Park Avenue South with the Department of Buildings. Handel had been the architect of record for de Portzamparc’s earlier project (most out-of-town designers must team up with a local firm to file construction documents on its behalf), so it seemed promising that the eagerly anticipated tower would soon rise. David Von Spreckelsen, a senior vice president at Toll and head of its New York office, confirmed that Mr. de Portzamparc was indeed on board for the project. He is still designing the facade, as had originally been planned, a design that has not changed much, for reasons both aesthetic and practical.

The new team did not want a “Joe Blow building,” as Mr. Von Spreckelsen put it. But there was also the fact that the previous developers went to so much trouble getting their project designed and then approved by the city. To switch architects and do it all over again would probably have been more expensive than simply adopting Mr. de Portzamparc’s progressive designs for the tower at the corner of 28th Street. “If we wanted to abandon that design, we could have actually built something much taller, but it was a sort of pencil building going straight up,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said. “At the end of the day, it was too inefficient, because too much of it would have been taken up by the core. You weren’t going to have the living space on the floors.”

There will be one small alteration to the design, using a different type of glass that offers greater energy efficiency, a nod to the recently passed green building codes, but otherwise the tower will look almost exactly the same.

Keeping the same architects also meant the project could start almost immediately. “The documents were (almost completely) ready since we were supposed to deposit the building permit a few years ago, so we were able with Handel to get things done rapidly,” Mr. Terzibachian wrote in his email. Groundbreaking is set to commence in May, Mr. Von Spreckelsen said, with an expected completion by the end of 2014.

Mr. Von Spreckelsen said Toll Brothers was especially excited about the project because of the unique arrangement it had reached with Equity Residential, whereby the latter is building rentals on the bottom half of the building while the former builds condos on the 20 floors on top. “They’re taking the first 22 floors, so our condo units are starting at 250 feet in the air, so every unit has a pretty great view,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said.

And the unique design should appeal not only to those living inside the building.

“It’s obviously really going to change the way Park Avenue South looks,” Mr. Von Spreckelsen said. “I know that it’s one of Christian’s favorite buildings he’s ever designed, and I know the city administration loves it, so I think it’s going to be great for everyone.”
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1430
tim1807
faster than buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
so I think it’s going to be great for everyone.”
Hell, yeah!
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #1431
isra60

Likes (Received): 3

Webcam is getting back online !!!
isra60 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1432
Arawooho

Likes (Received): 68

Webcam is back online, they have clearly done amounts of blasting, as the hole is larger, I believe there are extra cranes, more wall support things, I have to say 432park is going along well
Arawooho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #1433
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawooho View Post
Webcam is back online, they have clearly done amounts of blasting, as the hole is larger, I believe there are extra cranes, more wall support things, I have to say 432park is going along well
I walked by on 12 Feb 12, and noted substantial progress clearing the site.
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #1434
Valkyre

Likes (Received): 89

I really really believe this tower needs a design overhaul...

I know it is too late, I know it wont happen and yes I said it before but, really guys, this looks more like a pillar, than a building...

I love height and have no issues with it being taller (roof-wise) than 1WTC, but the deisgn is just... non existent. I mean I can design a more interesting building than one that looks like a huge glass box...

Anyway this is my opinion, but the more I see this tower the more I dislike it because of the design.

Last edited by Valkyre; February 14th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Valkyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #1435
jconyc

Likes (Received): 168

Checked out the site this morning...as you can see from the web cam they have blasted out a big chuck of the rock in the middle of the site...ramp to the corner of 56 & park looks complete...last two town house are down to the first floors.

Curiously as I was standing there a bus showed up and unloaded about a dozen suits with papers in their hands...financial types not bureaucrats...work was stopped on the site and they were clearly there for a tour...looked like good news as everyone seemed in good moods laughing, chatting and pointing...maybe this has to do with the next round in funding.
jconyc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #1436
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Screenshot taken: 15th February 2012 11:08 EST

Source:http://www.432park.com/
Old February 15th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #1437
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Wow, that's quite some progress
Old February 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1438
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyre View Post
I really really believe this tower needs a design overhaul...

I know it is too late, I know it wont happen and yes I said it before but, really guys, this looks more like a pillar, than a building...

I love height and have no issues with it being taller (roof-wise) than 1WTC, but the deisgn is just... non existent. I mean I can design a more interesting building than one that looks like a huge glass box...

Anyway this is my opinion, but the more I see this tower the more I dislike it because of the design.
They can't do much more with the design given FAR restrictions in NYC. Given that it has to be tall for views, the building can't be fatter. It has to be what it is. They could change the facade I suppose, but the objective is to give clear unobstructed views and a fancy facade may complicate the issue. They could round the corners, but that might be unwelcome as people might prefer real corners. This design is probably designed conservatively to attract a certain target market. It is not designed to make people look at it. I'm sure the people buying these apartments prefer an understated design that will attract less attention and be a blank canvas for some stunning interior design.

Given it is so slim, I find the fact that it is a conservative modernist building a non-factor. It is not overbearing and soul destroying like its shorter but obese cousins around the area.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1439
WTCNewYork

Likes (Received): 18

The design will probably be changed at least a LITTLE bit before it starts to rise. Granted, you can't do much to change a box without drastically altering the design.
WTCNewYork no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #1440
Kanto
Roof height crusader

I don't see why they should change it. As it is now it suits perfectly the function it has, which is to provide tall residential space with awesome views. I'm pretty confident they won't sacrifice any of this by changing the design into a more complicated shape

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall