daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2015, 06:09 AM   #15561
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50824

Untitled by thejamesli, on Flickr

McSky, Eric Offereins, wespje1990, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; March 16th, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #15562
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Times Square #timessquare #newyork #nyc #manhattan #aerial #fromabove by btrenkel, on Flickr

Fantastic View
Old March 16th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #15563
DubaiM

Likes (Received): 4512

The tower looks horrible at rainy days. The whole structure looks wet and dirty... a shame.
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #15564
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

^ yes I can confirm it looks wet on rainy days.
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:48 AM   #15565
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Central Park by Incredigirl, on Flickr

Kanto, Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:49 AM   #15566
Philly Bud
City Of Brotherly Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgenus View Post
Thanks for answers.

That sounds like "Russian oligarchs lifestyle" to me, but maybe it's a cultural thing then.

I know some wealthy persons here in Finland and nobody have any pointless staff just the people running their state and businesses etc. And the reason they are wealthy is because they value their money, and don't throw it everywhere. Off course there are movie-stars, athletes and rock-stars who throw their money everywhere, but that's part of their role, and they usually ain't super rich when their career is over...

How much is the property tax in NY by the way, does it play any big part in those costs, or is it just the money throwing culture? And what is an average monthly payment in skyscrapers in NY?

Is there any skyscraper project that is focused in low living cost but high standards on living?
You must understand an apartment in this building is among the costliest and most expensive not only in New York but in the world. While New York is a very expensive city to live in, so is London, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Many of the people who live here are not "throwing their money everywhere" and most are wealthy because they are savvy about finances. If you are worth $400 Million or $450 Million or even a $1 Billion ... how expensive is a $10 or $15 million dollar home?

My favorite uncle, who just turned 81 lives in a rather nice one bedroom apartment with a balcony on the 14th floor of a 28 story building in lower Manhattan near the World Trade Center. He pays $600 a month rent which includes heat, hot water, electricity, internet access ... everything. It seems impossible, but there are subsidized rent controlled or rent stablized buildings in New York for middle income and lower income individuals. Unfortunately there is at least a 10 year waiting list, some even longer, and preference is given to elderly people and people with disabilities.
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #15567
LastGammal

Likes (Received): 99

Not sure if this is an appropriate thread for this question. But at least it's slightly on topic.

I understand the reason for the small footprints have to do with allowed building area and a wish to get that same area as high up as possible to get better prices.

I also understand that the city has regulations regarding this to make sure there are some light etc on the streets. At least I'm assuming that is why. Or are there other reasons?

In this area though, does it really make any difference what so ever on the street levels?

If the city designated 20-30 blocks in this area and allowed pretty much any height and squarefootage if the builders payed a luxury tax or something, say 10% on the sales prices. The city should be able to collect billions. I don't see how it would make much or any difference for the streetexperience while the extra money could probably be very welcome for the city.

I totally understand that for most of Manhattan this would be a bad idea. Just thinking of this particular area.
LastGammal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #15568
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22571

manhattan by sky-surreality, on Flickr
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #15569
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Stunning View from the Waldorf Astoria New York by livingphoto, on Flickr

CBrug, wespje1990, Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 02:39 PM   #15570
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

IMG_3107 by kz1000ps, on Flickr

‪#‎432parkave‬ ‪#‎LIC‬ ‪#‎stick‬ by flavnyc, on Flickr

432 Park Avenue by moshi_moshiii, on Flickr

McSky, Rebasepoiss, Kanto, JuanPaulo, Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #15571
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Spring Break'15-2442 by genevieveleedy1, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #15572
orwo

Likes (Received): 2

Looks better at night
orwo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #15573
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post
^ yes I can confirm it looks wet on rainy days.
My cousin can confirm this as well and she says it's not an entirely unique phenomena. Other buildings look wet, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastGammal View Post
Not sure if this is an appropriate thread for this question. But at least it's slightly on topic.

I understand the reason for the small footprints have to do with allowed building area and a wish to get that same area as high up as possible to get better prices.

I also understand that the city has regulations regarding this to make sure there are some light etc on the streets. At least I'm assuming that is why. Or are there other reasons?

In this area though, does it really make any difference what so ever on the street levels?

If the city designated 20-30 blocks in this area and allowed pretty much any height and squarefootage if the builders payed a luxury tax or something, say 10% on the sales prices. The city should be able to collect billions. I don't see how it would make much or any difference for the streetexperience while the extra money could probably be very welcome for the city.

I totally understand that for most of Manhattan this would be a bad idea. Just thinking of this particular area.
The issue of retaining sunlight and airflow to the street level is one aspect but arguably not the most important part.

Put simply, each parcel and each block has a certain overall size capacity dictated by the City, meaning they can only be built up so much. This is to ensure that they don't exceed utility capacity, emergency response capability and to ensure the resulting traffic (foot, vehicle, etc) from those residences and/or businesses doesn't cause too much congestion. So there is basically an overall budget regarding the amount of square footage assigned to each property. A square footage amount which can also be bought and traded among lots to enable some lots to exceed their assigned capacity.

So when designing for height you're taking into account the overall capacity allowed and the particular design you want to achieve. Meaning the higher you want to go (for views) then the more cutbacks you must feature or simply build skinny.

There's also the efficiency of the design itself. Skinny buildings are one way to minimize possibly excess floor space. You build exactly what's needed for the appointed use and no more.
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:50 PM   #15574
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

manhattan by sky-surreality, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:56 PM   #15575
TheYesGuy

Likes (Received): 305

^ That exact picture was posted only a few posts above yours
TheYesGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #15576
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

432 park avenue is simplistic and a little boring but works nicely with the new york city skyline.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #15577
Wbino49

Anyone notice all the "Dubai" posts are assh*les?
Yes Dubai the land of tax havens and working slaves........
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:34 AM   #15578
baseball1992

Likes (Received): 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbino49 View Post
Anyone notice all the "Dubai" posts are assh*les?
Yes Dubai the land of tax havens and working slaves........
What is wrong with his comment?
baseball1992 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:36 AM   #15579
Echter Berliner
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatFan9 View Post
432 Park looks out of place because it doesn't have any sort of crown or pinnacle on it like every other skyscraper that breaks the midtown plateau, not because it's new. ESB, Chrysler, Citi, One57, even the New York Times building all have a crown, spire, or some other cap to them. 432 Park is so uniform top to bottom you could stack itself one on top of the other and it would go on to infinity, it just doesn't look right for a building of that size.
Not every building must have a spire or crown. I like the contrast and the Bauhaus-feeling of ParkAve. The simplicity is a good answer to the old buildings around. It's a very thin tower. A crown is not necessary. When I first saw a picture of the draft a few years ago I was quite excited. I like this cruel simplicity very much.

And in order to add this: I really don't like the spire of the new WTC. WTF?

The tower has a cool pathetic structure. The spire makes it a bit ridiculous. They should have continued the design towards the top.

PS: I hope my English is okay. New York is a fascinating city. Every younger German under 50 has grown up with American TV-series and movies. I feel very familiar when I see the pictures in this thread.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Echter Berliner; March 18th, 2015 at 01:53 AM.
Echter Berliner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #15580
Wbino49

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball1992 View Post

What is wrong with his comment?
It's called a left handed compliment .... the building is boring and simplistic ...and fits in with the rest of the NYC skyline.

Sensitive NYr here.
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall