daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #15621
CCs77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,113
Likes (Received): 2436

From Washington Heights


IMG_4077 by kz1000ps, on Flickr


IMG_4010 by kz1000ps, on Flickr

IMG_3938 by kz1000ps, on Flickr






Playing Peekaboo

IMG_3883 by kz1000ps, on Flickr
__________________
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:30 AM   #15622
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

This building really deserves the title of the King of New York
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #15623
weidncol
WTC Enthusiast/Researcher
 
weidncol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,098
Likes (Received): 4623



No, that title belongs to the Empire State Building.
__________________
weidncol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 01:26 AM   #15624
Dubai Skyscraper
Moderator
 
Dubai Skyscraper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Speyer, Germany
Posts: 11,972
Likes (Received): 2609

I'm sorry if this has been asked/explained before, but what is going to happen with the floors that are still covered with the orange netting? Are they all mech floors? Will they be covered with something?
__________________
View thousands of 2D and 3D designs in our creative corner
Dubai Skyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 03:12 AM   #15625
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as
 
bodegavendetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,104
Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfo View Post
New York,,New York
Enlightening comment!

Anyway, it's been said before, but it's not fair to judge this tower unless you've actually been to New York (probably true for most skyscrapers, really). It adds a lot to the skyline, and looks particularly impressive from LIRR and Metro North trains. Breaking the midtown ceiling was long overdue.

Also, the amount of attention this building gets kind of disproves that it's boring. What else looks like this in New York, or even the world right now? It's a box, yes, but it's so rail thin, so freakishly tall in context, and perfect in its simplicity. Looking at this tower makes me feel what people witnessing the first skyscrapers probably felt. Awe and a slight sense of disbelief.
__________________

Last edited by bodegavendetta; March 24th, 2015 at 06:34 AM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #15627
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,663
Likes (Received): 16995

Hmmmmm , I was just about to post my photos... For Future reference i will post my own photos... You can post elsewhere on the site.... I'm abit addicted to these likes....so I would like all the credit...for my photo posts... :p
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section

4npower, Oasis-Bangkok, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 24th, 2015 at 06:24 AM.
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #15628
Nexis
Dark Wolf
 
Nexis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Along the Rails of North Jersey..
Posts: 15,663
Likes (Received): 16995

Now I will post my Photos from them today


Midtown Manhattan viewed from IRT Flushing Line at 40th Street – Lowery Street
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr


Midtown Manhattan Skyline &amp; Queensboro Bridge viewed from LIC
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr


Midtown Manhattan &amp; Long Island City Skyline viewed from Court Square Station
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr


Midtown Manhattan &amp; Long Island City Skyline viewed from Court Square Station
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr


Midtown Manhattan Skyline from the New Jersey Turnpike
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr


Midtown Manhattan Skyline from the New Jersey Turnpike
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
__________________
My FLICKR Page < 54,100+ Photos of Urban Renewal , Infrastructure , Food and Nature in the Northeastern US
Visit the Reorganized New York City Section
My Photography Website
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #15629
VRS
Registered User
 
VRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jakarta
Posts: 46,752
Likes (Received): 11521

looks that tower can see from almost all NY spot area....
__________________

Mahdi Rasoul liked this post
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #15630
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,130
Likes (Received): 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
This building really deserves the title of the King of New York
Please, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
Anyway, it's been said before, but it's not fair to judge this tower unless you've actually been to New York (probably true for most skyscrapers, really). It adds a lot to the skyline, and looks particularly impressive from LIRR and Metro North trains. Breaking the midtown ceiling was long overdue.
I'll challenge this assertion, and as evidence I give you - This thread! Or better still, every picture of Manhattan now or yet to be taken that will include this building.

The very nature and celebration of a skyline is to view the collective architecture, and pictures are frozen perspectives of that same scene. Yes, it's best not to be wholly judgmental without knowing the full context of the building, particularly how it fulfills its unique role and function, but as part of a skyline it's intended to be viewed from afar, or even via static imagery. I'm pretty sure the building's champions would agree with that notion just as much as its detractors.

So perhaps it's simply best to judge each opinion based on its own context, the same as how we judge the building.

Quote:
Also, the amount of attention this building gets kind of disproves that it's boring. What else looks like this in New York, or even the world right now? It's a box, yes, but it's so rail thin, so freakishly tall in context, and perfect in its simplicity. Looking at this tower makes me feel what people witnessing the first skyscrapers probably felt. Awe and a slight sense of disbelief.
I'd contend the attention proves it's polarizing, rather than not "boring." How it contrasts with the other buildings does indeed help it stand out, but also pits it against the other structures as part of the collective skyline. As such, many people will see this new version of the skyline and feel that this element takes away from the collective beauty, no matter how gracefully done in and of itself.

There's no right or wrong answer. Such is the nature of art.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."

Nonoka liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #15631
onewtclover
Registered User
 
onewtclover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 1,171
Likes (Received): 1028

The lake reflections look nice...

__________________

Hudson11, Kanto liked this post
onewtclover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:57 AM   #15632
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!
 
Oasis-Bangkok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 15,708
Likes (Received): 50779



Early Spring 2015 Twilight Manhattan (NYC) Midtown Waterfront at Pier 90 with 432 Park Avenue Building View from Weehawken New Jersey by takegoro, on Flickr



DSC_0183 by Tanel Prank, on Flickr



DSC_0877 by Tanel Prank, on Flickr



DSC_0128 by Tanel Prank, on Flickr



DSC_0923 by Tanel Prank, on Flickr



Central Park - New York | March 2015 by mickdejong, on Flickr
__________________

Nexis, lwetli, kuzmiak, Zaz965, Dakarbeige and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; March 25th, 2015 at 08:07 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 04:17 PM   #15633
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wien
Posts: 1,837
Likes (Received): 5031

Where no skyscraper has gone before ... (highest roof)

The Stephen B by Catfish108, on Flickr

The Ruby M and Barge by Catfish108, on Flickr

Floating Crane by Catfish108, on Flickr
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:01 PM   #15634
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as
 
bodegavendetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,104
Likes (Received): 2651

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
The very nature and celebration of a skyline is to view the collective architecture
This is fair. 432 has the potential to distract from other buildings. But I think this is a problem with the existing midtown skyline being too short as of right now. Once the rest of the supertalls are built it will become part of the "collective." But the building itself, though, is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
but as part of a skyline it's intended to be viewed from afar, or even via static imagery.
Sure, and I'm saying it looks really good from afar and enhances the skyline the most when viewed from a distance, say on a train. So it's fulfilling that role of enhancing the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I'd contend the attention proves it's polarizing, rather than not "boring."
I get your point, but either way it's not a forgettable tower, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
How it contrasts with the other buildings does indeed help it stand out, but also pits it against the other structures as part of the collective skyline. As such, many people will see this new version of the skyline and feel that this element takes away from the collective beauty, no matter how gracefully done in and of itself.
The issue of not fitting with the collective skyline goes back to the first point. And again I think the problem is that the current midtown skyline hasn't caught up to 432 yet. But let's be real. Midtown isn't a cohesive collection of similar-looking buildings right now. It's a mish mash of styles and eras, so it's not like it's ripping through some pristine architectural fabric. How is this any worse, in the grand scheme of things, than the Met Life building right next to the Helmsley building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
There's no right or wrong answer. Such is the nature of art.
This is true!
__________________

Kanto, MarshallKnight, miau, Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by bodegavendetta; March 25th, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #15635
nothatso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 134
Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WTC View Post
I live in New York and believe that this building is better than Empire State Building.
__________________

Zaz965 liked this post
nothatso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #15636
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

LOL, why the slap? I don't live in New York but I believe the very same thing. Sure, the Empire State Building has a very rich history and is a pop culture icon, but 432 Park is both taller and prettier
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/

ExCaliBourBG, Zaz965 liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:08 PM   #15637
Celt67
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 824
Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
LOL, why the slap? I don't live in New York but I believe the very same thing. Sure, the Empire State Building has a very rich history and is a pop culture icon, but 432 Park is both taller and prettier
[IMG]http://i57.************/p292e.gif[/IMG]
__________________

onewtclover, DeaconG liked this post
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #15638
kingsc
Registered User
 
kingsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 2,761
Likes (Received): 199

There's nothing pretty about this building. It's tall and that's it.
__________________
My site
Entertainmentcove.weebly.com

Elmas, nothatso, Bez_imena, HRP4Life, Nonoka liked this post
kingsc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:44 PM   #15639
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 8,130
Likes (Received): 3200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
This is fair. 432 has the potential to distract from other buildings. But I think this is a problem with the existing midtown skyline being too short as of right now.
I get what you're saying, but that's still kind of funny hearing the midtown Manhattan skyline being described as too short! Considering the average skyline across north America...
Quote:
But the building itself, though, is fine.
To some.
Quote:
Sure, and I'm saying it looks really good from afar and enhances the skyline the most when viewed from a distance, say on a train. So it's fulfilling that role of enhancing the skyline.
If by "enhancing" you mean by adding a taller visual element, then sure. But there's more to a building than being tall and that's where I'd wager 99% of the differences in opinion of this building lie. I've no problem with the height whatsoever.
Quote:
I get your point, but either way it's not a forgettable tower, right?
For now that's definitely the case, and often that's exactly what a developer (or any salesperson) wants. Plenty of people and businesses teams make their living by being polarizing. Madonna, the Dallas Cowboys, WalMart...
Quote:
The issue of not fitting with the collective skyline goes back to the first point. And again I think the problem is that the current midtown skyline hasn't caught up to 432 yet. But let's be real. Midtown isn't a cohesive collection of similar-looking buildings right now. It's a mish mash of styles and eras, so it's not like it's ripping through some pristine architectural fabric. How is this any worse, in the grand scheme of things, than the Met Life building right next to the Helmsley building?
It's technically not any worse, just different. But if you want to discuss why some feel this coldly efficient style (and others) possibly detracts from public settings I'll offer to do that via PM, so as not to threadjack any further.

Cheers.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."

Nonoka liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:35 AM   #15640
Ghostface79
Registered User
 
Ghostface79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,536
Likes (Received): 4605

I can't help being a little puzzled by some comments I read on this thread, 432 Park is "better" and "prettier" than the ESB?? What? How? Where?
And I'm as big a fan of 432 Park as anyone but design-wise it's not even in the same league. Of the new supertalls u/c I can only think of TV and Steinway (and maybe Nordstrom, depending on how it turns out) that can challenge if not surpass the ESB in terms of design. But 432 Park? No way!!
__________________

Nonoka liked this post
Ghostface79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu