daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:09 AM   #15701
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22539

Canon EF 50MM F1.8 (_MG_2923) by gnuelkevin, on Flickr

Radio Raheem, Neungz, ekko, Kanto, DJaCoNdA liked this post
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:29 AM   #15702
Aalecki

Likes (Received): 1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
Some pics from this afternoon - click for full size:

Work in progress on the 57th Street retail space:

The "cube" on 56th and Park:

The cube glazing looks cheap, I hope its temporary.

Mahdi Rasoul, MarshallKnight liked this post
Aalecki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:54 PM   #15703
Mahdi Rasoul

Likes (Received): 217

del

Last edited by Mahdi Rasoul; August 14th, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Mahdi Rasoul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 12:58 PM   #15704
TomásGC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 57

Beautiful and innovative tall buildings, you mean...
TomásGC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 01:39 PM   #15705
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aalecki View Post
The cube glazing looks cheap, I hope its temporary.
It doesn't even remotely look cheap...

Kanto, robertitoam liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 08:19 PM   #15706
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25102

I saw it a few days ago. It doesn't look cheap in real life.

Kanto liked this post
streetscapeer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2015, 11:54 PM   #15707
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdi Rasoul View Post
If only i lived in a city with tall buildings....
Yes i agree. In my little hometown is the highest structure a church with about 60m. To see a even 150m skyscraper i had to travel an hour or more.
I have a question for all people living in "skyscrapercitys" like New York or Chicago: is it special for you to see the skyline from different angles, see famous skyscrapers for so many times etc. Do you even realise them or are you get used to it so that you don't perceive them consciously? For example you are living in New York, will you have a great "woh feeling and be astonished when you see the the shanghai skyline in real?
For my person i'm convinced i would be drool like a dog when i first visit a city like new york...

Kanto liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:00 AM   #15708
Jay

Likes (Received): 1863

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
Yes i agree. In my little hometown is the highest structure a church with about 60m. To see a even 150m skyscraper i had to travel an hour or more.
I have a question for all people living in "skyscrapercitys" like New York or Chicago: is it special for you to see the skyline from different angles, see famous skyscrapers for so many times etc. Do you even realise them or are you get used to it so that you don't perceive them consciously? For example you are living in New York, will you have a great "woh feeling and be astonished when you see the the shanghai skyline in real?
For my person i'm convinced i would be drool like a dog when i first visit a city like new york...
You just take it for granted honestly and get used to seeing buildings like that all the time.

Shanghai's skyline must be really overrated if people expect it to be more impressive than NYC because for me, no bias either, it was really more or less the same degree of impressiveness if not less, the highest roofs are higher than NYC's buildings but there are less actual skyscrapers and they are more spread out. Never been to Hong Kong though...

Ch.W liked this post
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 12:39 AM   #15709
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:

I think it's human nature to covet what you don't have and take for granted what you do. I'm from Scotland, and had a girlfriend from Patagonia, Argentina. When she came here, we were driving along when she shouted "stop the car, stop the car..." I stopped thinking 'whats the emergency'.... she then ran out of the car and started photographing TREES.

But then, when I went there, there was almost no trees, and the place was flat and barren, and she thought I was crazy for photographing the various majestic birds of prey that are as common there as crows are here.

Mahdi Rasoul, Ch.W, Kanto, bodegavendetta liked this post
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:17 AM   #15710
Ch.W

Quote:
You just take it for granted honestly and get used to seeing buildings like that all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
I think it's human nature to covet what you don't have and take for granted what you do.
Thanks for both of you
Yes i think that's it. You gave a very good and personal example with your girlfriend. And these different points of views makes it exciting. Sometimes i wonder how flexible the human nature is to feel comfortable in so many different environments...
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:17 AM   #15711
madknight

Likes (Received): 3

Hello everyone. This is my first post greeting to all!This building is impressive it looks a lot like the spectacular Twin Towers, which were 415 and 417 meters high and 62.5 meters wide. Anyone know how wide is this building? Appears to be quite thinner

Kanto liked this post
madknight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 01:33 AM   #15712
Ch.W

Quote:
Hello everyone. This is my first post greeting to all!This building is impressive it looks a lot like the spectacular Twin Towers, which were 415 and 417 meters high and 62.5 meters wide. Anyone know how wide is this building? Appears to be quite thinner
Today 12:17 AM
Hi. You're welcome
That's a realy good and interesting questing i think many members will be pleased to know the answer...Because it looks so thin...as many comments say.
I found no datas of the WTC twin towers but 62.5 meters seems a little bit to wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
According to the blueprints, the columns are 4 feet thick, with the openings 11 feet wide.

Looking at the building's width:

(columns) 7 x 4 = 28

(openings) 6 x 11 = 66

The sum is 94 feet, and the building is listed at 93.5 feet wide.

Kanto liked this post

Last edited by Ch.W; April 1st, 2015 at 01:40 AM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 04:24 AM   #15713
madknight

Quote:
Hi. You're welcome
That's a realy good and interesting questing i think many members will be pleased to know the answer...Because it looks so thin...as many comments say.
I found no datas of the WTC twin towers but 62.5 meters seems a little bit to wide
thank you very much for the welcome. If I'm not mistaken the Twin Towers had that width, and data Mcsky (thank you very much indeed) 426 av. It is 28 meters wide ... It's really stylish and sleek

Ch.W liked this post
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:16 AM   #15714
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by madknight View Post
There was a discussion about this on this thread and if I remember correctly it is almost exactly half as wide, so about 31 meters and as you already know about 10 meters taller. That's why I love this building. It's insane.

Kanto liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:39 AM   #15715
madknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
There was a discussion about this on this thread and if I remember correctly it is almost exactly half as wide, so about 31 meters and as you already know about 10 meters taller. That's why I love this building. It's insane.
Thank you very much for the tip. You're absolutely right, it is almost impossible structurally and despite having half as wide as the twin towers is 10 meters higher. It is very simple and at the same time really amazing.
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:12 AM   #15716
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Quote:
Born in SI loved the look of the skyline from the ferry as a boy, now as an adult every day driving around the helix by the Lincoln Tunnel I get goosebumps when I see people getting their first look at Manhattan as they come around that bend....

In fact was exactly there 8:48 on 9/11.

Ch.W liked this post
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:34 AM   #15717
wtcforever
higher than 1wtc

Likes (Received): 684

When is the red crane coming down
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:16 AM   #15718
Wbino49

Likes (Received): 246

Looking at that cube gives me two thoughts...

1. It should have been a three story version of the building/windows and all.

2. Could they have built 432 modular with three story sections all going up at once, lifted with a crane of course? (has any building been built in such a way?)

Last edited by Wbino49; April 1st, 2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: edit
Wbino49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:33 AM   #15719
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Heres a few controversial 'stats' surrounding this building. ( prepare to don tinfoil hat )....

http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/2...2-park-avenue/

Kanto, Vertical_Gotham, Ch.W liked this post
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 03:57 PM   #15720
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall