daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM   #16181
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

2 naive questions: what do they do about sound insulation and can you actually see into those bathrooms particularly at night?

rákos liked this post
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #16182
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Sure, you can see into those bathrooms but you would need a telescope to actually make something out.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 11:39 PM   #16183
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2559

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLinePana View Post
what?
What I meant was that they don't look like your no-bullcrap let's get it done construction crew. They look like they were selected to be photogenic and that they are certainly not sweating on this job since it is not everyday. These look like some official photos and they're not going to show people actually working very hard. In Miami you would never see such a hodge podge collection of happy looking blue collar workers.
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:41 AM   #16184
onewtclover

Likes (Received): 1028

Sunday

Old June 3rd, 2015, 01:49 AM   #16185
tijuano en el df
rodrigo

Likes (Received): 132

this is probably the building with the fastest design phase, ever.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 05:54 AM   #16186
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

Super-tall skyscrapers the rage in New York real estate

Quote:
With an unparalleled 360-degree view of the city and beyond, 432 Park Avenue is the tallest residence in the Western Hemisphere. Al Jazeera America News recently went to the top of the luxury midtown condominium with engineer Silvian Marcus, who explained that the true challenges of the development involve its slimness factor and countering how the wind interacts with the building. With an innovative team and a creative design, however, Silvian Marcus embraced the task. Although unimaginable to many, living high in the sky is considered by some experts to be the next evolutionary step in residential living. According to architectural historian Carol Willis, “There is no greater punch of power than the wow factor of just stepping into a space in the sky that is entirely your domain.”

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

hunser liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:58 AM   #16187
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Views of New York City from World Trade Center Observatory by Mike Waterhouse, on Flickr
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:04 PM   #16188
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5855

I don't see how anyone can say this looks bad on the skyline. From this vantage point it looks fantastic.

JMGA196 liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:29 PM   #16189
victor del rey

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I don't see how anyone can say this looks bad on the skyline. From this vantage point it looks fantastic.
Yeah same for me it does too
victor del rey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 09:49 PM   #16190
Vertical_Gotham

Likes (Received): 6489

NY, NY, what a hell of a town!

Hudson Yards mega development Map: June 2015
http://i.imgur.com/FVrYwpy.jpg
(click again once inside to enlarge the map)

jouses liked this post
Vertical_Gotham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2015, 11:50 PM   #16191
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I could agree, but then I scrolled right to bring 432 into view and simply winced.

If you want a serious dissection of this opinion just PM me. No need to repeat the banter here.
Old June 4th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #16192
Mr.Blian97

Likes (Received): 50

I feel like the rise of the new Supertall Billionaire's Row towers (and Verre) will help to offset its very obvious and abrupt presence in the skyline

MarshallKnight, noms78 liked this post
Mr.Blian97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #16193
raider12

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Blian97 View Post
I feel like the rise of the new Supertall Billionaire's Row towers (and Verre) will help to offset its very obvious and abrupt presence in the skyline
but will verre be like one57, where you will struggle to notice it( because they chopped the top off)?
raider12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:53 AM   #16194
(:

Likes (Received): 229

From that view it will look like a normal tower. 1 Vanderbilt will be right next to it on one side (hopefully with some other Vanderbilt towers) and 111 as well as Nordstrom are also taller on the west side.
(: no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 12:45 PM   #16195
Sukaitsuri
スカイツリー

Likes (Received): 77

Sorry if I'm going to be a bit off-topic here,

I'm wondering about something, I would like to know if it is possible to build a skyscraper without any core in the middle?? (concrete core or steel core)

What am I talking about? -> a surprising example:

in Tokyo, mostly in East Tokyo, there are full of residential skyscrapers with some kind of big hole in the middle of the structure. I enclosed here some pictures to show you.
On this pictures (from Google Earth, sorry for the bad quality) you can clearly see some skyscrapers that seem to have no core at all. I'm not sure about that but it really seems. The middle is hollow.

I entered one of these skyscrapers before, and yeah I was totally surprised when I saw this big hole inside, I never saw something like that before.

As far as I know about skyscrapers, I think there are no other places on Earth with such hollow buildings.
The reason may be that the structure of these buildings is especially designed for earthquake resistance, but actually I don't know at all...

By the way, most of these buildings showed on the pictures have a height of around 200 meters. Like most of Tokyo's skyscrapers.

[IMG][/IMG]

Sukaitsuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #16196
DEsl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 349

I think those hollow things are for car parking but ask someone form the japanese forum to know exactly
DEsl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 03:24 PM   #16197
xmxmx

Likes (Received): 53

nice
xmxmx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #16198
XGADGET

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical_Gotham View Post
Super-tall skyscrapers the rage in New York real estate
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhsUn1hLpuk">YouTube Link</a>
Nice video. Thanks for sharing.
XGADGET no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:51 PM   #16199
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
I'm wondering about something, I would like to know if it is possible to build a skyscraper without any core in the middle?? (concrete core or steel core)

On this pictures (from Google Earth, sorry for the bad quality) you can clearly see some skyscrapers that seem to have no core at all. I'm not sure about that but it really seems. The middle is hollow.

The reason may be that the structure of these buildings is especially designed for earthquake resistance, but actually I don't know at all...
A) I'm guessing that some of what you're seeing is more about providing an interior source for light and air flow, very much akin to having an internal courtyard. This creates additional window walls or opportunities for the air conditioning units to have multiple ventilation outlets. Looking around the inside would give you the answer.

The value of this approach diminishes with height, however, because the bottom of that shaft of space would not see much light within a deeper chamber and depending on the climate would probably grow very musty.

B) Structurally, there's no need for a singular core as seen in conventional skyscraper design. You can easily avoid a conventional core if you use the right design and materials for securing the load elsewhere. Interior cores are simply the easiest way to build up while maximizing the floor space along the window walls.

The structures you showed are surely very stable and strong, acting almost like two buildings joined together for extra rigidity, but that's simply a stylistic approach. It's really just a matter of taste and what the expense is going to be versus your cost for the land.
Old June 4th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #16200
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
Sorry if I'm going to be a bit off-topic here,

I'm no expert, but I do have some experience in the field. My guess is that their purpose is to allow light to get to the center of the building. Had there not been an open atrium in the middle, the rooms near the centre would have been very dark.

As for the apparent lack of core, well, that's a bit of trickery. Every elevator shaft or staircase in a high-rise will usually form some sort of core, since it's built out of concrete and thus has a greater stiffness than the rest of the structure. It doesn't necessarily have to be located in the center of the building, it can provide stiffness regardless. These "tube" buildings appear to have multiple such cores (as would be required for evacuation purposes), connected with other rigid members to stiffen up the building.

This works for buildings up to a certain size, but eventually you need such a solid, heavy stiffening structure that the only feasible place to put it is in the middle of the building. And after all, neither elevator shafts nor staircases require natural light, so they are well suited for a central placement in the building.

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall