daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2015, 06:01 PM   #16501
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...real_wages.jpg
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #16502
onthehudson

Likes (Received): 355

It is easily noticed from Liberty State Park, but as you see, not really lit up - yet...

DSCN3977a by randompix1, on Flickr

McSky, Hudson11, 57th&1st, Federation2014 liked this post
onthehudson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:16 AM   #16503
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50743

2D9A1758 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1767 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1772 by John Dry, on Flickr

sgollis, McSky, Federation2014 liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; July 27th, 2015 at 04:27 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:48 AM   #16504
felipemurcia

Likes (Received): 54

Omg this tower looks really really tall. I'd like to take a walk un front of it
felipemurcia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #16505
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

432 Park Ave by Nelson Brizuela, on Flickr

_AMS1900 by andreishpak, on Flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; July 27th, 2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:03 PM   #16506
cameronpaul
Paris-the city beautiful

Likes (Received): 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
High-end luxury apartments in alpha cities (like NY, London, etc.) are just like jewelry for the super-rich.

Millionaires buy apartments, billionaires buy penthouses.

Happened in Dubai.
Not sure about the argument that today's super rich are any real asset to a city. They certainly contribute to over ostentation (mainly if they're from Russia or the Middle East) but unlike the supers of a hundred or so years back they don't so often put their money into great public buildings for everyone to enjoy as Carnegie and Mellon did for example. I wish NYC had a height limit on new builds so that the icons, e.g. Chrysler, would not get so completely overwhelmed.
cameronpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #16507
WR HEARST
BANNED

A height limit!?..no way!Paris is dying because nothing can be taller than the antique Eiffel Tower!
And be safe:from street level the Chrysler is standing proud and strong!
...By the way,imo 432 is a future icon,a pure masterpiece.

Fiat Lux liked this post
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #16508
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
Money laundering
LOL, no. The U.S. is generally a terrible place for money laundering through real estate. There are far too many disclosure laws. Switzerland and Monaco are great places for that. Heck, even Germany would be better to hide money through real estate.

The reason NYC is getting so many skinny supertalls is primarily because advancements in engineering makes such towers feasible. In short, the economics now work.

robertitoam liked this post
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #16509
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanes11 View Post
LOL, no. The U.S. is generally a terrible place for money laundering through real estate. There are far too many disclosure laws. Switzerland and Monaco are great places for that. Heck, even Germany would be better to hide money through real estate.

The reason NYC is getting so many skinny supertalls is primarily because advancements in engineering makes such towers feasible. In short, the economics now work.

not eaxactly money laundering, more like money protection. china/russia cant repossess your condo in nyc if things go tits up back home.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #16510
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
Thanks Gunner - but I was referring to the stripes on the windows themselves - look at the center two windows in the row of windows in the middle of this pic (happens to be the row with the blue plastic removed):

These yellow stripes have been appearing in the last few days (and since I took this pic, two more windows on this row have gotten the stripes). Most of the other windows seem to be getting yellow stripes just around the edges (hard to see in photos, but pretty clear through binoculars... )
Ah, now I see yo what you're referring.

I'd hate to think those are markings indicative of windows in need of replacing, but it likely means some form of follow up work is needed. Perhaps something with that particular seal? Now I'm curious! I'll ask my friends in the industry and see if they can fathom a guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC1987 View Post
You personally not liking like the design doesn't mean there was no artistry involved.
I didn't mean to imply there is no artistry in this building, but rather a different style. As nothatso pointed out a large part of what defines classical Roman architecture is the detailing they provided to accentuate forms and frame human elements. It's known for things like the styling of their columns and providing a cornice to crown structures, elements that went beyond function. That's why I'm struggling to see the comparison here.

Quote:
And if contribution to public space is what matters no residential tower should exist.
I disagree on both counts. The public realm is what binds a community together. Successful streets and civic spaces, as framed by the private structures surrounding them, attract people and encourage community pride and prosperity. It's something I imagine fans of this building feel when they "Ooh" and "Aah" about its contribution to the skyline. Buildings in urban settings have no choice but to engage the public realm.

However, question of how they do it is indeed decidedly open, since each structure has it's own function and way of engaging the public realm. Buildings aren't required to be warm or celebratory, good or bad. Thus, I simply think this one chooses to engage the public realm in a fashion less pronounced than many classical structures, is what I'm trying to say.

But if I'm missing another connection to classical architecture then please let me know. I'm here to learn as well as discuss.

57th&1st, MarshallKnight, DodgyEye liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 07:42 PM   #16511
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
No it won't. (with all due respect)

Atlantropa liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #16512
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3587

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I didn't mean to imply there is no artistry in this building, but rather a different style. As nothatso pointed out a large part of what defines classical Roman architecture is the detailing they provided to accentuate forms and frame human elements. It's known for things like the styling of their columns and providing a cornice to crown structures, elements that went beyond function. That's why I'm struggling to see the comparison here.
People tend to think of Roman architecture in terms of their famous civic structures -- the great forum, the coliseum, various temples, etc. -- and those are no doubt ornate. But before they were artists, the Romans were engineers, and the most abundant extant Roman architecture is still their most practical: their roads, aqueducts and bridges.

Take the viaduct at Nerja:

spain-holiday.com

It's got almost no ornamentation, it's essentially just bare concrete, but there also something undoubtedly beautiful about that repeating pattern of blank monoliths and empty space. It's easy to see the relationship between that kind of function-over-form Roman construction and this skyscraper.
Old July 27th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #16513
vic22

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
People tend to think of Roman architecture in terms of their famous civic structures -- the great forum, the coliseum, various temples, etc. -- and those are no doubt ornate. But before they were artists, the Romans were engineers, and the most abundant extant Roman architecture is still their most practical: their roads, aqueducts and bridges.

Take the viaduct at Nerja:

spain-holiday.com

It's got almost no ornamentation, it's essentially just bare concrete, but there also something undoubtedly beautiful about that repeating pattern of blank monoliths and empty space. It's easy to see the relationship between that kind of function-over-form Roman construction and this skyscraper.
We've got much architecture like that here in Spain specially bridges, i saw many simple but beautiful
vic22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #16514
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukaitsuri View Post
Sorry if this question may have been asked before:

Is there a special reason why New York suddenly decided to build dozens of residential supertalls? Something like that never happened before...
Is it some kind of politic decision to create jobs in the real estate industry?
Buble 2.0. In 2008 there was a real estate buble that burst for the average home buyer. The money those homeowners lost in their bad mortgages did not disapear into thin air. It went to Wall Street, and the Street is full of super rich investors, who after 2008 became even more super rich, because of all that "looted" money flowing their way. This is now their buble and like the "common people's" buble of 2008, this one too will burst, and when it does, these 50mill to 100million dolar condos will fall in price by up to 50%, at least that's my prediction. So the people buying these condo's now, during construction or right after will lose a lot of money, but everyone else will benefit. Another "correction" is imminent.
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:57 AM   #16515
(:

Likes (Received): 229

Though I am sure plenty of these apartments are being sold to the people of wall street the majority of sales is from people outside of the city and even the country.
Old July 28th, 2015, 02:01 AM   #16516
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Buble 2.0. In 2008 there was a real estate buble that burst for the average home buyer. The money those homeowners lost in their bad mortgages did not disapear into thin air. It went to Wall Street, and the Street is full of super rich investors, who after 2008 became even more super rich, because of all that "looted" money flowing their way. This is now their buble and like the "common people's" buble of 2008, this one too will burst, and when it does, these 50mill to 100million dolar condos will fall in price by up to 50%, at least that's my prediction. So the people buying these condo's now, during construction or right after will lose a lot of money, but everyone else will benefit. Another "correction" is imminent.
these towers are not banker money. they are uber rich oligarchs and their children money.
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 05:02 AM   #16517
nothatso

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post

I understand what you're trying to say, and maybe it's just this specific example, but I don't think it makes much sense to compare a residential tower made for the ultra wealthy, with the highest roof height in one of the world's most important cities, to a piece of infrastructure built to move water.
nothatso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #16518
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Uptown Manhattan by Tri H. Nguyen, on Flickr

Warm Summer Night by Michael Muraz, on Flickr

New York Central Park seen from the Met Museum's roof by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

New York Central Park seen from the Met Museum's roof by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

NYC Skyline (Midtown) by Chante Etan, on Flickr

Radio Raheem liked this post
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:46 AM   #16519
TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 3059

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
No it won't. (with all due respect)
Well, "Beauty is in the eye of beholder"

To me this building is a nice one but in some view angles it hurt the iconic images of empire state and chrysler...those classic towers make nyc unique, like no other skyscrapercity

Anyway, no pain no gain, esb should not be the height limit for new buildings but how new good things interact with old good things is a very important question

Last edited by TheFuturistic; July 29th, 2015 at 06:39 AM.
TheFuturistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #16520
Sukaitsuri
スカイツリー

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WR HEARST View Post
A height limit!?..no way!Paris is dying because nothing can be taller than the antique Eiffel Tower!
And be safe:from street level the Chrysler is standing proud and strong!

Seriously...
Paris is not dying at all. Look at the amount of tourists who come there to appreciate the ancient monuments and the XIXth century Haussmann buildings.
Tell me if so many tourists come to NY to visit those supertalls.

Paris just decided to build its towers in the suburbs (La Défense) instead of the city center. And that was a good decision because the city has too many ancient buildings to be filled with skyscrapers.
If you lived in an old European city you would understand that we care with the appearance of our ancient cities. This may be a reason why there are so few skyscrapers in Europe.
And there have been projects to build taller than the Eiffel tower (tour sans fins). But it was cancelled because of economic reasons.

Atlantropa liked this post

Last edited by Sukaitsuri; July 28th, 2015 at 09:36 AM.
Sukaitsuri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall