daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:42 PM   #16541
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Well, according to data from January 2015, Paris had approximately 15 million tourists in 2014. New York had 12 million. While below the numbers of Paris by not that much, Hong Kong for the same time period had 25 million tourists and Singapore 22 million. Both these cities lack the historic center in favor of sparse historic buildings scattered throughout the city, similar to NYC. So it looks like your "ancient monuments" claim is completely false.

Your opinion, which you are entitled to. But data shows that ancient buildings don't offer that much economic opportunity.
There are decidedly different types of tourism at play here, with widely varying sources of information. Here's a Forbes article implying NYC got 47 million visitors in 2009. It's tough to develop an apples to apples comparison because these things are counted differently, and even if they are measured similarly the reasons and impact of those visits can be dramatically varied. For instance, Atlanta is listed as having anywhere from 15-35 million visitors per year, but it's no secret most of those are for conferences or singular events as opposed to a bona fide tourist attraction. I'd wager a majority of the visitors to highly urbanized Chinese cities are in that same vein, and most of them are locals experiencing weekend trips. Conversely, Paris, Rome and London most assuredly have a more significant share of people who traveled specifically to see the unique and historic structures on hand.

Quote:
I would take the green, clean american suburbs over the outskirts of the average European city.
Not disputing this idea, but it is worth noting that the typical American suburb a) is now realizing similar types of economic stratification and the creation of suburban ghettos as, again, poorer households are segregated and without resources or incentives to maintain properties, and b) has been found to be more expensive to maintain in the long-haul due to the cost of more expansive utilities and infrastructure reaching out to fewer and fewer taxpayers. The suggestion is that over time the alleged benefits of the model won't be sustained without still further evolution.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #16542
Juanes11

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
This is now their buble and like the "common people's" buble of 2008, this one too will burst, and when it does, these 50mill to 100million dolar condos will fall in price by up to 50%, at least that's my prediction.
Except that isn't what happened, ever. Back in 2008, during the worst national real estate collapse since the Great Depression, Manhattan residential real estate only had slight drops in sales price. High end real estate was actually least resistant to decline.

Obviously there will eventually be another recession, and there will eventually be real estate price declines. But it's extremely unlikely that high end real estate suffer a significant downturn, as there isn't much extreme high end real estate, the numbers of global superwealthy is skyrocketing, and Manhattan real estate hasn't dropped by 50% ever. No, not even in the 1929 crash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
So the people buying these condo's now, during construction or right after will lose a lot of money, but everyone else will benefit. Another "correction" is imminent.
I would guess that the people buying this real estate are generally a lot smarter than you, and most will profit handsomely. Certainly the first buyers are already making huge gains and many have flipped for massive profits.
Juanes11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #16543
FlyFish

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
I realize that's elementary architectural thinking but it beats having the top two floors portrayed as a lie, I say.
It's actually solid thinking and a fair point although I like everything about this building.

I like the fact that unlike many of these buildings we are seeing go up the top 250 FEET isn't basically a lie.

FlyFish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2015, 11:38 PM   #16544
LastGammal

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
This pic illustrates one reason why I wish the top were treated differently. The upper "floors" are utilitarian, having more in common with the exposed breaks in the building yet it's concealed behind glass like the luxury condos. IMO it would've been better if they'd added two more stories of condos (to keep the rhythm) and then have this area behind either solid wall or something more in line with the other open levels. I realize that's elementary architectural thinking but it beats having the top two floors portrayed as a lie, I say.
Well the aliens needed somewhere to park their little spaceship obviously.
LastGammal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:06 AM   #16545
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
This pic illustrates one reason why I wish the top were treated differently. The upper "floors" are utilitarian, having more in common with the exposed breaks in the building yet it's concealed behind glass like the luxury condos. IMO it would've been better if they'd added two more stories of condos (to keep the rhythm) and then have this area behind either solid wall or something more in line with the other open levels. I realize that's elementary architectural thinking but it beats having the top two floors portrayed as a lie, I say.
All towers have mechanical floors. Sometimes they are at the base, sometimes they are part way up and sometimes they're at the top. They are almost always clad in a visually appealing way to fit with the architects vision. Frequently that means using the same cladding as the rest of the building.

This design was the proper choice for a tower based on simplicity and repetition. It means that the top block is comprised of twelve rows of identical windows, just like every block below it. Putting something else on top would disrupt that repetition.

If this design seems like a lie then it must be agonizing to walk down the street with pretty much every building seeming like a lie to you.

MarshallKnight liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:26 AM   #16546
Assemblage23
▄bereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8071

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Hawk_ View Post
LOL

With this light and angle, One57 looks like like a broad boulevard that straches beyond Manhattan on rush hour

Wichtige ─nderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-

lwetli, sgollis, lsg97, ILOVENY, j-biz and 2 others liked this post
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 01:45 AM   #16547
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
I had the same opinion in the past, I even edited some photos so that PA432 got a little crown: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post118740662

Now I think its better without it, and all glass up to the top. (But I also like the design as whole way less, then I did back then).

What I really don't get is why they put solid materials behind the top to rows of windows.
Without that, it would be at least a bit transparent. The last four stories are mechanical, and I think this will become visible, when the tower is under use, because all the other mechanical levels are on the drum sections and behind all other window levels, are appartements.
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:33 AM   #16548
godgame
BANNED

Likes (Received): 650

i think there are lighting panels behind the windows?
godgame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 10:16 AM   #16549
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50715

2D9A1756 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1757 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1763 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1771 by John Dry, on Flickr

432 Park Avenue Ó Manhattan by Citizen59, on Flickr

2D9A1766 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1773 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1849 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1841 by John Dry, on Flickr

2D9A1791 by John Dry, on Flickr
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:36 PM   #16550
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
All towers have mechanical floors. Sometimes they are at the base, sometimes they are part way up and sometimes they're at the top. They are almost always clad in a visually appealing way to fit with the architects vision. Frequently that means using the same cladding as the rest of the building.

This design was the proper choice for a tower based on simplicity and repetition. It means that the top block is comprised of twelve rows of identical windows, just like every block below it. Putting something else on top would disrupt that repetition.
A glass curtain building where you know some floors are all mechanical but they're hidden isn't being secretive, merely choosing a particular design template where the cladding is an intentional envelope. Here the design establishes a clear formula of 12+2, with the placement and display of the mechanical floors being overt and part of the architectural style. Except for some reason they break that mold at the top and take two floors we otherwise would presume to be part of the "12" and find they're something different! It's a forced illusion that for my money is a disingenuous twist compared with the rest of the design, which I at least respect. I'd have much rather seen something like what crowns and spires offered 2 posts below yours.

Quote:
If this design seems like a lie then it must be agonizing to walk down the street with pretty much every building seeming like a lie to you.
It does, actually. The perils of having any background in the field: You know how the sausage is made, as it were! The most irksome for those of us in Atlanta being the base of One Atlantic Center.

I understand the how's and why's of it all, particularly in how developers will rein in artistry for simple cost efficiency. I just see certain things that make me call a spade a spade, is all.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:15 PM   #16551
UTEPman

Likes (Received): 32

I think the whole "floating sections" design would have been better executed visually if the grid pattern weren't uniform throughout the entire structure. The empty mechanical spaces should look more "empty".
UTEPman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:46 PM   #16552
WR HEARST
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEPman View Post
I think the whole "floating sections" design would have been better executed visually if the grid pattern weren't uniform throughout the entire structure. The empty mechanical spaces should look more "empty".
..How do you feel today?...
WR HEARST no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:57 PM   #16553
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree, but the engineering of this building is already so extreme, I have to imagine that removing columns from those sections would be a disaster for the building's overall rigidity and stability.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 03:45 PM   #16554
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50715

upload by thebaldwhiteguy, on Flickr

Light Show #9 by Keith Michael, on Flickr

Light Show #3 by Keith Michael, on Flickr

_DSC4151 by Jauher Ali Nasir, on Flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; August 1st, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 04:44 PM   #16555
Seoul_Korea
Europa

Likes (Received): 2901

Taken by me today

PROUD TO BE GAY.

7 AUG 2007 - 30 SEP 2014
SNSD without Jessica won't be the same anymore.
Seoul_Korea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 06:37 PM   #16556
paindoc

Likes (Received): 6

I hope they have lit panels behind the fake windows of the parapet and mechanical floors up top and I hope they get lit in a random fashion just like the rest of the tower would to give the appearance of occupied space all the way to the top. That would look so cool. If the glass on those floors does not illuminate the that building is going to look awkward at night.

Crowns n' Spires liked this post
paindoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:19 PM   #16557
dfiler

Quote:
You might be quite satisfied when the netting is removed from the mechanical floors. It will then allow light through and make them looke more empty.
Old August 1st, 2015, 07:32 PM   #16558
dfiler

Quote:
A glass curtain building where you know some floors are all mechanical but they're hidden isn't being secretive, merely choosing a particular design template where the cladding is an intentional envelope. Here the design establishes a clear formula of 12+2, with the placement and display of the mechanical floors being overt and part of the architectural style. Except for some reason they break that mold at the top and take two floors we otherwise would presume to be part of the "12" and find they're something different! It's a forced illusion that for my money is a disingenuous twist compared with the rest of the design, which I at least respect. I'd have much rather seen something like what crowns and spires offered 2 posts below yours.

It does, actually. The perils of having any background in the field: You know how the sausage is made, as it were! The most irksome for those of us in Atlanta being the base of One Atlantic Center.

I understand the how's and why's of it all, particularly in how developers will rein in artistry for simple cost efficiency. I just see certain things that make me call a spade a spade, is all.
Your perfectly valid preference seems to have run wild and biased your perception to the point of fanaticism. There is no more forced illusion in this building than there is in any other building. It doesn't even use cladding over the load bearing structure. Look at WTC3, it has fake I-beams enclosing its real I-beams. This building merely repeats its glass panes to hide the rooftop mechanical units. This is standard practice and expected just like we know stone clad buildings aren't actually made of load bearing stone. You obviously despise the top of this building but it isn't a forced illusion or disingenuous twist.

And as for reigning in costs, this building is the exact opposite of reigning in costs.
Old August 1st, 2015, 08:07 PM   #16559
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Of course the facade will be extended to cover the nasty mechanical stuff. Nothing spoils a building more than visible mechanical equipment.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 02:58 AM   #16560
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22516

Manhattan's Billionaires' row

IMG_6304awm by judyflo1, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall