daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #17141
ggmm

Likes (Received): 2

People in Europe still think "everything" is still happening over there... AMERICA IS HARD TO SEE. The old world is having a very rough time adjusting to their new place in the energy hierarchy of this planet. The New World has just begun.

This building will always be remembered for being the first of its kind.

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #17142
romanamerican

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDee View Post

Why do people love Paris, Rome, Venice and Mayfair? Why do people rush to Charleston, Edinburgh? For the beautiful architecture. How many people now say Ny is beautiful? Few.
Quite a lot of people, actually. Aesthetics are one of the parameters that make a city beautiful, not the only one. Tourism data shows that NY is one of the top 5 destinations in the world, but that can be independent of the aesthetics of a particular city, so not a reliable source of what is considered "beautiful".

So this argument is only a matter of opinions given that there isn't really a reliable metric available for comparison. So here is my opinion.

Venice is definitely an aesthetically pleasing city, "pretty". But it's nothing more than a museum. It's a shell that shows that the city used to be an economic and cultural powerhouse and now is nothing more than a tourist attraction. It doesn't create new art as it does not attract artists nor designers like London, NY, Paris or even Milan do.

There isn't any kind of culinary activity, as the local restaurants cater to tourists, and new and famous chefs go to more culturally and economically relevant cities.No new music current is born there, no new musicians or bands.

This is all to say that it is pretty to look at and visit, but hardly a beautiful city. I would never live there as it has very little life. And THAT is what makes a city beautiful for me.

Which makes me think that your idea of "beautiful" is hardly that of a grown adult. From what you said it looks like you are the kind of person who would date someone only based on their looks, rather than the looks being one of the parameters that make a person "beautiful" and therefore desirable to date, together with personality, intelligence, humor etc.

I say this as a person who was born and lived most of his life in Rome, until I left for college and moved to the US. Rome is a pretty city, and definitely has more life than Venice. But yet I consider NY more beautiful and the one I aspire to live in one day. And that's what makes NY a city young people flock towards and Rome a city young people tend to leave.

hordak1975 liked this post
romanamerican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #17143
Middle-Island

Likes (Received): 3187

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
There's no need for hyperbole, this tower has clear antecedents in fascist architecture, like the Colosseo Quadrato (though lacking what grace it had, or the fine materials). The materials, height and proportions of 432 add to the dehumanizing quality of the building. But hey, life goes on, especially in New York City. New York can take a building like this.
Finally a post I can respond to! This building is so ice cold, it lends the Bloomberg Tower warmth and character. But hey, it's going to just blend soon, considering what's soon to follow in midtown. Absolutely we can take it.
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #17144
micrip

Likes (Received): 1050

...putting aside the asthetics, I'm not so sure I'd want to live in this thing, even if I could afford it. I'm sure it's well engineered, but it will probably move some in the wind, and if I wanted my house to rock, I would live on a boat. Not to mention the difficulty getting out in a serious emergency. Structures with larger footprints probably have several more ways down...
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #17145
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Seems the sway would have been calculated for a residential purpose. Last thing you need is a bunch of disgruntled wealthy occupants who can afford good legal representation.

Fox 5 report says it uses a 600 ton damper.

Exiting this would be no harder than getting out of the CN Tower or any other such structure, probably easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
...putting aside the asthetics, I'm not so sure I'd want to live in this thing, even if I could afford it. I'm sure it's well engineered, but it will probably move some in the wind, and if I wanted my house to rock, I would live on a boat. Not to mention the difficulty getting out in a serious emergency. Structures with larger footprints probably have several more ways down...

Kyll.Ing. liked this post

Last edited by Nuwanda; December 7th, 2015 at 06:03 AM.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #17146
La bomba

Likes (Received): 111

Es realmente horrible. ¿Cómo permitieron semejante espanto en N.Y.? Y todavía es más alto que el Empire State Building! De no creer !!!!
La bomba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:45 AM   #17147
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
Best of my knowledge almost every great building in Manhattan was built by "greedy philistines" who didn't give a damn about your opinions.
Actually plenty of great buildings were constructed out of a desire to remake either the city for the better or to rehabilitate the developer's image as a 'greedy philistine,' such as the many housing developments of Vincent Astor, 30 Rockefeller, the Seagram Building, etc.

A common complaint about 432 is that it lacks civic virtue, a desire to give back to the environment in which it occupies, either out of good will or to look good. In naked concrete and simple geometry it strikes some people as crass. Time will tell. Simplicity tends to age well enough, though.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #17148
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50787

Untitled by Julius Ahn, on Flickr

AlexDemens, igor, hunser, McSky liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #17149
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50787

20151111_033 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_036 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_209 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_205 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_175 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_178 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_049 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_070 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr

20151111_026 by Lars Jussaume, on Flickr
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:43 PM   #17150
Greatdane

Likes (Received): 47

Nice!
Greatdane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #17151
Glasgow High Rise
Glasgow's Green and White

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Neither 168th st nor the High Bridge are in Harlem folks, they're both in Washington Heights
Cheers.
Glasgow High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #17152
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

It needs something either side of it... a cluster of shorter towers nearby so that it doesn't stick out so much. Is anything planned nearby that would help integrate it into its surroundings?
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #17153
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Is that a wooden water tank?
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:04 PM   #17154
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
Does anybody know, what is to be seen in this picture?
Some sort of watertank/boiler, heating equipment or even the mass damper?
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #17155
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1032

My guess is water tank, unless they're using multiple, smaller mass-tuned dampers. If it is a damper they probably have one in each corner of the building.
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:30 PM   #17156
fountainkopf

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uaarkson View Post
My guess is water tank, unless they're using multiple, smaller mass-tuned dampers. If it is a damper they probably have one in each corner of the building.

I like the yellow lamps.

http://max3fan.blogspot.fi/
fountainkopf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 12:28 AM   #17157
hateman

Likes (Received): 1798

My guess is a cedar sauna.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #17158
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22562

NYC 2015 01150 by Sebas Adrover, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2015, 03:19 PM   #17160
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Does anybody know, what is to be seen in this picture?
Some sort of watertank/boiler, heating equipment or even the mass damper?
Quote:
Is that a wooden water tank?
The wooden tanks are indeed water tanks. The water pressure is insufficient by itself to reach the upper stories of the building, so there are water tanks that are placed on the higher mechanical floors. water is pumped from below to the tank, which then flows downward to fixtures by gravity.

These are the same wooden tanks that are seen on the rooftops of buildings in NYC for the same purpose. The particular tank seen in the photo is manufactured by one of the three manufacturers of these iconic tanks: Rosenwach as seen here, a company based in Long Island City, Issecks Brothers, and American Pipe and Tank. These are old family businesses who have made these tanks for years.

These tanks have nothing to do with the dynamic dampers being used in the building. The dampers in this building are massive steel plate dampers on the upper floors, of which there are two: one in the east/west direction, the other in the north/south direction.

57th&1st, HighwayStar, McSky, Rebasepoiss liked this post
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall