daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 10th, 2015, 01:43 AM   #17161
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 52009

New York by Devin Fahnestock, on Flickr

Doublehattan by Michael Kowalczyk, on Flickr

robertitoam liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; December 10th, 2015 at 01:49 AM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2015, 05:34 AM   #17162
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Wow, thanks for the interior photos!

It's interesting that a design hundreds of years old is still deemed optimal for an engineering marvel such as this building. It makes sense though. A wooden barrel design for a water tank takes advantage of the properties of wood and steel. Wood expands when saturated with water. This expands the sides outward into the enclosing bands of steel. Any imperfections in the sides of the tank are squeezed shut and a water tight seal is achieved. This isn't just making due with a merely sufficient design. As I understand it, these materials are the most reliable construction for a water tank.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 04:50 PM   #17163
VRS

Likes (Received): 11688

the interior its regular, but the panorama outside, its unbelievable
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:02 AM   #17164
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

The other quality about the wooden water tanks is that of their insulating properties. There are LOTS of these tanks atop buildings, and it does get freezing cold in the winters in NYC. A steel tank would conduct the cold and freeze the water. In addition, the tank probably would be a good deal heavier for a rooftop installation. The hoops that encircle the wooden staves that make up the tank, however, are steel.
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:41 AM   #17165
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

IMG_2056 by eskrauss, on Flickr

Mplsuptown, lwetli, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:12 AM   #17166
VK
vk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post
tower looks amazing
VK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #17167
t94

Likes (Received): 844

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
[url=https://flic.kr/p/BumNCk]
Thank you for sharing that. I've seen a similar one before a long while back. Ironically one of my favorite photos of Manhattan. The density is absolute incredible in that picture.
t94 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #17168
JohnDee

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanamerican View Post
Quite a lot of people, actually. Aesthetics are one of the parameters that make a city beautiful, not the only one. Tourism data shows that NY is one of the top 5 destinations in the world, but that can be independent of the aesthetics of a particular city, so not a reliable source of what is considered "beautiful".

So this argument is only a matter of opinions given that there isn't really a reliable metric available for comparison. So here is my opinion.

Venice is definitely an aesthetically pleasing city, "pretty". But it's nothing more than a museum. It's a shell that shows that the city used to be an economic and cultural powerhouse and now is nothing more than a tourist attraction. It doesn't create new art as it does not attract artists nor designers like London, NY, Paris or even Milan do.

There isn't any kind of culinary activity, as the local restaurants cater to tourists, and new and famous chefs go to more culturally and economically relevant cities.No new music current is born there, no new musicians or bands.

This is all to say that it is pretty to look at and visit, but hardly a beautiful city. I would never live there as it has very little life. And THAT is what makes a city beautiful for me.

Which makes me think that your idea of "beautiful" is hardly that of a grown adult. From what you said it looks like you are the kind of person who would date someone only based on their looks, rather than the looks being one of the parameters that make a person "beautiful" and therefore desirable to date, together with personality, intelligence, humor etc.

I say this as a person who was born and lived most of his life in Rome, until I left for college and moved to the US. Rome is a pretty city, and definitely has more life than Venice. But yet I consider NY more beautiful and the one I aspire to live in one day. And that's what makes NY a city young people flock towards and Rome a city young people tend to leave.
Ah, hahaha. Gotta love it when they try to place themselves in the "mature" position by resorting to childish personal attacks on the stupid, shallow "kids" - pot calling the kettle black I think.

Last edited by JohnDee; December 11th, 2015 at 01:21 PM.
JohnDee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #17169
JohnDee

NY is amazing, but I've never heard of people saying, let's go to NY because it's so beautiful baby.. Let's face it, the average JOE SCHMO on the street around the globe won't consider NY a beautiful city, it's just the way it is. They don't appreciate the messy cluster**** of styles and clashing disharmonious buildings that is NYC and it's instrinsic beauty is transparent to their ignorant eyes Well, the don't, just let's accept that most people have a certain idea of beauty that is rather traditional.

Last edited by JohnDee; December 11th, 2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #17170
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

If you like skyscrapers you go to seoul or dubai for a honeymoon. Not New York. Every body knows what New York looks like after all.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 12:52 PM   #17171
JohnDee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
If you like skyscrapers you go to seoul or dubai for a honeymoon. Not New York. Every body knows what New York looks like after all.
Seoul? I doubt it. HK would be more like it, or Shanghai.

You are biased with your "futureology" focus pulling you towards the 'new kids on the block with the most shiny infrastructure. However, I can bet you that Most TRUE skyscraper fans would love to honeymoon in NYC, the home of the skyscraper and a historical city (a massive amount of 19th century buidings and early 20th century skyscrapers ) and the skyscrapers going up now are some of the best in the world. Dubai is just the johnny come lately, and most of its skyscrapers are plastic junk and of dubious quality outside a handful of gems. They would be really going there for the beach and the sumptuous resorts, and "exotic" appeal, lol. Seoul isn't really a skyscraper city so I don't see how they'd be flocking there. Besides that, it's a grey ugly sprawl, not much of a honeymoon destination.

Also, most honeymoon destinations are very 'known', and that doesn't stop them. So, although NY is not really the most obvious place for a honeymoon, it being known from tv and movies shouldn't be an issue if someone wanted a to be going away to see skyscrapers on their honeymoon. Anyway, your Europe bias is showing. Most of Asia and elsewhere are not as familiar with NY and that is the big emerging market.

Last edited by JohnDee; December 11th, 2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #17172
sali_haci
High in the sky

Likes (Received): 2648

12039766_1156066217741469_3542320037411955139_n (1) by Sali Hadzha, on Flickr

IMG_6017 by Sali Hadzha, on Flickr

IMG_6021 by Sali Hadzha, on Flickr

Ovidius

oscillation, Marek1991, 57th&1st liked this post
sali_haci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #17173
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Nazaire View Post
The No.1 honeymoon destination is no doubt Paris. I don't think any newlywed would like to visit a smelly tasteless concrete jungle like NYC for honeymoon.
It probably is not your typical honeymoon destination for obvious reasons (although for the same reasons I couldn't for my life understand why would anyone go to Paris for a honeymoon) but smelly tasteless concrete jungle must be one of the most retarded descriptions of NYC I have ever read...

sali_haci, lsg97 liked this post
generalscarr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #17174
Troposphere
BANNED

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Lol what drugs are you taking, or whos paying you?
Troposphere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #17175
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4628

Lol are we discussing honeymoon locations now?
If you really want to know the best places then check out Bride Magazine (THEY should know, right?): Top 22 honeymoon locations:http://www.brides.com/honeymoons/201...n-destinations

Spoiler alert: Paris is place 13.
Paris is less and less popular among Asian tourists, as more and more People suffer from the so-called Paris Syndrome:
Quote:
They arrive expecting to see a quaint, affluent and friendly European city with smartly dressed men and women smelling of Chanel No. 5.

Instead, they discover Paris’s grittier side -- packed metros, rude waiters and pickpockets intent on robbing cash-carrying tourists -- all of which sends them into psychological shock.
source: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-tourists-away

Back to topic: I like the tower and i can't wait to see the first furnished top-Level apartments.
Old December 11th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #17176
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Seoul? I live there but there are actually very little real skyscrapers. Oh yes, there are thousands upon thousands of flats and big highrise office blocks, but real skyscrapers? only a handful in the CBD and of course Lotte Tower soon.
Old December 11th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #17177
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1711

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalscarr View Post
It probably is not your typical honeymoon destination for obvious reasons (although for the same reasons I couldn't for my life understand why would anyone go to Paris for a honeymoon) but smelly tasteless concrete jungle must be one of the most retarded descriptions of NYC I have ever read...
Statistically speaking, odds are you're marrying a woman, and odds are she's not as interested in skyscrapers as you are. She's more interested in romance. Thus Paris.
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #17178
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5855

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

I really like that tall brown/orange building next to One57. I always see little glimpses of it here and there and it always catches my eye. It's too bad that it is so closed in by all the rest around it, because I think it is the most beautiful of them all in that cluster. I wish they had built it right on the edge of Central Park. The park rimed with these kind of buildings would be a beautiful sight.
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:15 PM   #17179
luci203

Likes (Received): 1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by humptydumpty7 View Post
Lol are we discussing honeymoon locations now?
If you really want to know the best places then check out Bride Magazine (THEY should know, right?): Top 22 honeymoon locations:http://www.brides.com/honeymoons/201...n-destinations

Spoiler alert: Paris is place 13.
Paris is less and less popular among Asian tourists, as more and more People suffer from the so-called Paris Syndrome:
Is not Paris, is France, and the rest in that top are countries or regions. As a single city, Paris might still be be no 1 visited city for honeymoon, that you go for the city (architecture) not the beaches or other natural beauties. I doubt many people visit Hawaii because of Honolulu's architecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
Statistically speaking, odds are you're marrying a woman, and odds are she's not as interested in skyscrapers as you are. She's more interested in romance. Thus Paris.
Or visit Dubai for shopping, not tall buildings.
Old December 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #17180
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53484

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
I really like that tall brown/orange building next to One57. I always see little glimpses of it here and there and it always catches my eye. It's too bad that it is so closed in by all the rest around it, because I think it is the most beautiful of them all in that cluster. I wish they had built it right on the edge of Central Park. The park rimed with these kind of buildings would be a beautiful sight.
That's Carnegie Tower which once dominated that corner of Central Park. City Spire to the right was built a few years earlier in 1987.

AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall