daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2016, 06:48 PM   #17361
muttoast

Likes (Received): 0

Special windows at 432 Park

On floor plans of 432 Park, the 3 northernmost windows on the west side of the building have an asterisk and this statement:

"Special Window: See section H.1(II) of the architect's report set forth as exhibit 6 in 6 in part II of the offering plan."

Can anyone shed light on what this refers to?
muttoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2016, 07:28 PM   #17362
marcatio

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
This thread should be removed, the tower is completed now
As mentioned previously, there is still work going on on the building. The material/personnel hoists (the external elevators) are currently being removed in stages. The orange safety netting seen on the so-called "drum floors" is still in place. Work continues below at street level, and I hope that the 56th Street cam remains, so we can see the final transformation from construction site to completed planted and paved building forecourt. Let's not forget, that although the building superstructure has been completed for some time now, that there is still some exterior work still going on (as evidenced by an exterior scaffold that has been seen, and by the protective covering still seen on the windows on the lower floors adjacent to the material/personnel hoist yet to be removed), as well as continuing interior fit-out. I am sure that high-end customers want their units with customized floor plans.

Quote:
On floor plans of 432 Park, the 3 northernmost windows on the west side of the building have an asterisk and this statement:

"Special Window: See section H.1(II) of the architect's report set forth as exhibit 6 in 6 in part II of the offering plan."

muttoast,

Where did you find this? I would like to see that. I am curious...
marcatio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #17363
McSky

Likes (Received): 1878

Threads on buildings under construction should be left in the active section for months after completion, as this will give people an opportunity to contribute and to view photos of the newly finished building in its setting. After all, the title of this website isn't "Construction City", it's "Skyscraper City".
Old January 14th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #17364
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Simple and ugly are two very different things. The Trump World Tower is simple too, you think that building is ugly?
I certainly do. Decidedly average highrise architecture that.

Just because someone sees it as simple and boring doesn't mean they infer simple always equals boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
So you don't want to see what the building looks like when actually finished because you "know those things". You don't care that it will look quite different with the film off the windows, elevator gone, netting removed and lighting installed. Sounds like a joyless approach to being a skyscraper fan.
There is no fixed means for appreciating art, no?

Quote:
The final changes are going to have a massive impact on the appearance. Not only will this tower's look change, it will also come to define the NYC skyline. There are no other skyscrapers that look similar to how this will look. Right now it is just an impressively tall rectangle in the sky. With the final changes it will be truly transformed. The drum lighting is going to be a defining characteristic of NYC.

That isn't to say it is the best tower in the world. Only that the work left to be done are what will make it stand out.
To a degree you're right, which means to many folks it could look even worse. But implying that one can't infer how the final product might appear based on the near-completed structure is a pretty thin argument, especially considering how many opinions were offered when this was (and other buildings were) presented as mere concept drawings. Frankly I think that's a telling sign if we're waiting on the drum lighting to tip the scale after hearing for so long that the building's grace is in its simplicity and monumentality. I obviously don't favor the building but I would find it more pure and harmonious if the drums are NOT lit, as that would emphasize the airy openings and the floating segmentation that's implied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendenden View Post
This building represents what is to come.
Soulless, bland exteriors? Neo-brutalism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by francais22 View Post
This thread should be removed, the tower is completed now
Must. Not. Correct...

Atlantropa liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #17365
christian-p

Which buildings are rising here?

christian-p no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:12 AM   #17366
muttoast

Special windows

I can't post links, but google "432 Park Ave floor plan." therealdeal's site has one

Look at the footnote at the bottom of the floor plan. Note the asterisks in the three northernmost windows on the west side of the building.
muttoast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:22 AM   #17367
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian-p View Post
Which buildings are rising here?

#1= 100 East 53rd Street
#2= 252 East 57th Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttoast View Post
I can't post links, but google "432 Park Ave floor plan." therealdeal's site has one

Look at the footnote at the bottom of the floor plan. Note the asterisks in the three northernmost windows on the west side of the building.

You're right, nice catch. I don't know what it is.

https://432parkavenue.com/floorplans...ty_PH91-96.pdf

Zaz965 liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #17368
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

World Reaches 100 Supertall Skyscrapers With Completion of 432 Park Avenue

Quote:
As of December 23, when the slender 1,396-foot-tall 432 Park Avenue condominium tower was officially pronounced complete by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH) as the building was “partially habitable,” it became the world’s 100th supertall skyscraper (h/t TRD), categorized as those at least 984 feet in height. In addition to being the world’s tallest all-residential building, 432 Park Avenue is also the world’s 14th-tallest building overall and the city’s seventh supertall skyscraper. In fact, New York has the second-highest number of supertalls on the planet.

It took 80 years to put the first 50 supertalls on the map, but the second 50 sprung up in a mere five years. CTBUH notes that though many of the new towers have risen in Asia and the Middle East, New York “has remained an active center for supertall construction in the Americas.” Dubai, however, has the most, with 18. Saudi Arabia will have the world’s tallest building when the Jeddah Tower is completed in 2018. It will be a whopping 700 feet taller than 432 Park.

[...]
While the tower may be "partially habitable" there remains substantial work to be fully complete. We've had this discussion before with other major towers. When construction equipment and/or exterior scaffolding is removed and tenants move in then it's truly complete.

towerpower123, Munwon, Pohtija, Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 06:30 AM   #17369
L.A.F.2.
Georgia Tech

Likes (Received): 5307

An increase of 2 from 1970 to 1975?

WTC1 1971
WTC2 1973
Sears 1974

???
L.A.F.2. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:02 AM   #17370
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

digitalFocus-20151212_124333 by AJ Patel, on Flickr
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #17371
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

A new king reigns!
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 07:32 AM   #17372
CityGuy87

Likes (Received): 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
Honestly this is my favorite viewing perspective of 432. You can truly see how dominating it is from there. Definitely a taste of things to come...
CityGuy87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #17373
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50752

432 Park Ave by NyConstructionPhoto, on Flickr

Untitled by Nick Chao, on Flickr

432 Park Ave front and center will be the tallest residential tower in the Western Hemisphere upon its completion. Reserve your full floor penthouse now for a cool 81 million #NewYork by Dean Zeller, on Flickr

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; January 15th, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:55 PM   #17374
Blizzy
Perfect Player

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1807 View Post
Haha, made me laugh. His bath and her bath. They don't really like each other much, do they...
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #17375
hunser
Steinway to Heaven |¦┆┊

Likes (Received): 5031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
Haha, made me laugh. His bath and her bath. They don't really like each other much, do they...
A true gentleman knows that every lady needs her own bath. Believe me, there are some things you don't want to know about your lady ... .
hunser no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #17376
SMCYB

Likes (Received): 1631

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
A true gentleman knows that every lady needs her own bath. Believe me, there are some things you don't want to know about your lady ... .
Then there are us less wealthy plebs who know everything about our ladies.

kklisek liked this post
SMCYB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #17377
uakoops
Sidewalk Superintendent

Likes (Received): 396

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
World Reaches 100 Supertall Skyscrapers With Completion of 432 Park Avenue

While the tower may be "partially habitable" there remains substantial work to be fully complete. We've had this discussion before with other major towers. When construction equipment and/or exterior scaffolding is removed and tenants move in then it's truly complete.
"Saudi Arabia will have the world’s tallest building when the Jeddah Tower is completed in 2018. It will be a whopping 700 feet taller than 432 Park."

Um, I think that should be 1700 feet...
uakoops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:14 PM   #17378
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

I know, the rate of supertalls are amazing, you can see the supertall expansion in China and the middle east more so than any other regions of the world.
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #17379
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMCYB View Post
I'm getting tired of this building. There's nothing new to discover about the way it looks.
Light! I find the building to have a lot of different looks because of the way light has such an big impact on its appearance. Moody, dull, sparkling white, piercing clouds, reflective, slender, massive. No other tower i know makes me change my mind as much as this one
Old January 15th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #17380
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

From Top of the Rocks IV by Ólafur Már Sigurðsson, on Flickr

McSky, bodegavendetta, Shenkey, Fooxx67 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall