daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 27th, 2016, 09:17 PM   #17421
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
...but when the rest of them join the skyline will look much more balanced.
Exactly. Insofar as one can lose track of a supertall, you'll hardly even notice it's there:

MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #17422
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
All of them together will create some sort of modern "gothic" look when you see the skyline from distance.
Gothic?
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #17423
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Exactly. Insofar as one can lose track of a supertall, you'll hardly even notice it's there:
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerJacket View Post
Gothic?
Haven't you noticed the quotes on that particular word? A possible explanation for you would probably be the fact that almost every European cathedral has at least one tower (if not more) that's soaring above the rest of the city. Certainly there won't be any pointed arch, or rib vault on these towers. I hope you do understand why I put quotes on gothic.

bodegavendetta liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:34 PM   #17424
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31736

New York East 79th Street by Jack Bricker, on Flickr
Old January 27th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #17425
MarshallKnight

Quote:
Haven't you noticed the quotes on that particular word? A possible explanation for you would probably be the fact that almost every European cathedral has at least one tower (if not more) that's soaring above the rest of the city. Certainly there won't be any pointed arch, or rib vault on these towers. I hope you do understand why I put quotes on gothic.
You've got it exactly right. I've always understood the nickname Gotham to refer to the look of Manhattan (lower Manhattan in particular) in the 1930s, when the collection of tall, slender towers rose well above the fray of smaller buildings, in a way that evokes the spires of Gothic cathedrals.

It's more about the proportions -- the height/slenderness compared to the surrounding buildings -- than actual ornamentation, although I think the term has also come to be associated with neo-Gothic masterpieces like Woolworth and 70 Pine.

This is something we're getting back to, in that proportional sense at least, if not in terms of ornamental design.
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #17426
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

I share exactly the same opinion as you.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 10:50 AM   #17427
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50752

Mindblowing!!!😀👍 #newyork #432parkavenue #Repost @jasonmpeterson with @repostapp. ・・・ new york ʞɹoʎ ʍǝu by Fredrik Åkerstrand, on Flickr

Empire State Building, The night vew of Manhatton, NYC 66 by zwzzjim, on Flickr
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #17428
Demos-cratos

Likes (Received): 354

Magic
Demos-cratos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #17429
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 28178

Quote:

Many of the older buildings will go unnoticed when all these towers are finished.
The NY skyline will be transformed totally.

MarshallKnight liked this post
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #17430
baronson

Likes (Received): 714

ESB's dominance never ceases to amaze me. I travel all over the city for my job and always use it (and 1WTC) to orient myself when coming out of the subway.

Atlantropa liked this post
baronson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #17431
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by baronson View Post
ESB's dominance never ceases to amaze me. I travel all over the city for my job and always use it (and 1WTC) to orient myself when coming out of the subway.
Sure, but only because it stands among dwarfs. Move it up the island a bit and it would certainly be all but lost.

That said, does anyone know if the area around the ESB is zoned to prevent or discourage tall buildings? The question might seem silly but the ESB does seem to have that area all to itself.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 05:29 AM   #17432
Rashid.

Likes (Received): 3692

Paradise city
Rashid. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #17433
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Follow @BenLinero on Instagram and Twitter -------------------------------------------------- 432 Park - The tallest residential building in the Western Hemisphere. By @dis7inct by Ben Linero, on Flickr
Old January 29th, 2016, 03:40 PM   #17434
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

I stitched together 4 separate shots to make a vertical panorama showing this morning's light on different sections of the tower.

Click the pic for the VERY large full size copy, which shows lots of detail:

Old January 29th, 2016, 06:26 PM   #17435
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
You've got it exactly right. I've always understood the nickname Gotham to refer to the look of Manhattan (lower Manhattan in particular) in the 1930s, when the collection of tall, slender towers rose well above the fray of smaller buildings, in a way that evokes the spires of Gothic cathedrals.

It's more about the proportions -- the height/slenderness compared to the surrounding buildings -- than actual ornamentation, although I think the term has also come to be associated with neo-Gothic masterpieces like Woolworth and 70 Pine.

This is something we're getting back to, in that proportional sense at least, if not in terms of ornamental design.
Actually, that nickname has nothing to do with the physical image of the city. It was given by Washington Irving in 1807 (so obviously there were not skyscrapers whatsoever) in his satirical periodical "Salmagundi" and it was taken from the name of the village "Gotham" of Nottinghamshire, England which according to folklore was inhabited by fools. The name Gotham is from the old english meaning "home of goats"

As for the fictional "Gotham City" of Batman The writer decided to change the setting from New York City to a fictional city, and said
Quote:
"Originally I was going to call Gotham City 'Civic City.' Then I tried 'Capital City,' then 'Coast City.' Then I flipped through the New York City phone book and spotted the name 'Gotham Jewelers' and said, 'That's it,' Gotham City. We didn't call it New York because we wanted anybody in any city to identify with it."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_City

And the name of that store in the phonebook "Gotham Jewelers" came from Washington Irving's nickname and it was a common name for stores in New York.
Also Gotham City, in Batman is depicted as somehow a sinister place, so "Gotham City" sounds similar as "God Damn City"

Curiously, In spanish we do call it "Ciudad Gótica" literally Gothic City, a name given by the spanish translators in the 1950's (and Bruce Wayne is known as "Bruno Diaz") I grew up with the name "Ciudad Gótica" and it wasn't until a few years ago that I find out that the original name was "Gotham". Most people would still refer at it as Ciudad Gótica. I don't know if in another language they've gave it a similar translation or is it unique to spanish.
Old January 29th, 2016, 06:47 PM   #17436
MarshallKnight

Color me corrected! I guess it's just a funny linguistic coincidence then.

Still, I do think that "Gotham" has taken on greater meaning in the public imagination than Washington Irving's original intent, since there's such a clear visual/stylistic resonance between NYC's first skyscraper golden age the "skylines" of Medieval Europe.

CCs77 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #17437
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

2016-01-17 04.42.33 1 by noah.photos, on Flickr
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #17438
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Empire State Jan 26 (40) by Allen KV, on Flickr

2016-01-23 12.38.38 2 by noah.photos, on Flickr

2016-01-17 04.38.40 1 by noah.photos, on Flickr

McSky, hunser, Bent, streetscapeer, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Oasis-Bangkok; January 30th, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #17439
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuwanda View Post
Sure, but only because it stands among dwarfs. Move it up the island a bit and it would certainly be all but lost.

That said, does anyone know if the area around the ESB is zoned to prevent or discourage tall buildings? The question might seem silly but the ESB does seem to have that area all to itself.
I am not sure if it is just a zoning thing but the Midtown ditrict established itself some blocks north. When they build it back in 1930, one of the critics was that the location was a relatively isolated area several blocks south of Midtown.

Anyway it is not true that it stands out just because it is surrounded by buildngs not as tall, that certainly helps, but if it where at the center of Midtown it certainly will not be lost. To probe that you just have to see the picture in the post 17439. There, the ESB is the farthest building in sight, All the other buildings have the advantage of being several blocks forward, but the ESB still manages to stand out above the crowd.

lwetli liked this post
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #17440
breakitdown

Likes (Received): 20

I'm so loving all the pictures in this thread. The New York skyline is so beautiful. I think harmonious is the best way to describe it. That's something that other skylines in other cities are lacking imo.
breakitdown no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall