daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #17481
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
This thing will look like an unfinished construction site forever. What a waste of resources.
And what a blooper on the once great Midtown skyline.
I wonder what this tower needs to look finished? Oh I know let's cover the concrete with doric...no...wait...corinthian order all over the facade. They can be golden to look even more stylish. Also we can put some PVC frames over those giant windows and obstruct the view from the inside (like...who cares for central park views). At the end we can give it a nice finish touch by using very reflective cladding. And there you have it a palace in the sky.

Edit: This is the only way to reply on a post like that. We haven't seen how the mechanical floors will look like, and that is an important part of the towers design.

dolcerodri, BLACK DAHLIA liked this post

Last edited by Architecture lover; February 10th, 2016 at 12:23 AM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:48 AM   #17482
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
This thing will look like an unfinished construction site forever. What a waste of resources.
And what a blooper on the once great Midtown skyline.
The most stupid statement i have read so far about 432!..
Ignorance or trolling??
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 02:36 PM   #17483
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57913

Neither of your posts were less trollish.

I just think a bare concrete facade done like that doesn't quite look like a finished facade. Concrete facades were done much better until the 1950s.

And yes, to me it looks like a badly proportioned sore thumb on the once greatly balanced Midtown skyline. Sure, there are more super slender and similarily ill-proportioned (by height-width ratio) towers to come, that doesn't really make it much better.

So, what reasons are there to be intolerant towards such an opinion? Only positive remarks and hoorays accepted here? I don't buy into that.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #17484
Architecture lover

There is quite a difference between giving a negative critic (that should be constructive and have lots of arguments) and saying that the tower is an embarrassing error, or an extremely cruel act.
There is lots of different styles that you can choose while designing a building. We might have a different perception for them, but we shouldn't discredit the opinion of others. And I certainly wouldn't like to see something done cheaply (while trying to be monumental and classy). New York has incredible historical gems in it. I would love to see a decent revival of some of them (we can add lots of changes if we want, but we should care to make them look tasteful, in that way we can show respect for historical building and styles like Art Deco). Just because you would like to see the facade covered with stone it doesn't mean it's not finished.
Old February 10th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #17485
erbse
LIBERTINED

I have been very exhaustive on my opinion here earlier, but did the hooray crowd act any different? Nope. So yeah, I'm just confirming that what I see is a disgrace to me.

The bare reason I'll state my disfavor for a few more times, is that I don't want to see something like this happen again, not in Manhattan, not anywhere else. I'm fed up with ego-bloated minimalist "starchitects" and greedy investors pushing their effortless shite into valuable cityscapes all around the globe. This has been done for the past 7 decades and it's enough now. Thanks.

Crowns n' Spires liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #17486
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
I have been very exhaustive on my opinion here earlier, but did the hooray crowd act any different? Nope. So yeah, I'm just confirming that what I see is a disgrace to me.

The bare reason I'll state my disfavor for a few more times, is that I don't want to see something like this happen again, not in Manhattan, not anywhere else. I'm fed up with ego-bloated minimalist "starchitects" and greedy investors pushing their effortless shite into valuable cityscapes all around the globe. This has been done for the past 7 decades and it's enough now. Thanks.

Thank you so much for being so devoted to New York but,despite what you may think about the US,we have a city planing and numerous keen people who care about our cities.No need for a Don Quixote as there is no good reason to be concerned.
I invite you when you have a chance to read one of the foremost architecture critic,the world renowned Paul Goldberger(Vanity Fair,NY Times)

"Despite the garishness of One57’s exterior, I’m not ready to write off the entire super-thin, super-tall building type as incompatible with serious architecture. Viñoly’s 432 Park, on the outside, is as sophisticated as One57 is glitzy. Its façade is a flat, minimalist grid of smoothly finished concrete. As one looks at the building it’s hard not to think of Tadao Ando, the Japanese architect who is famous for making concrete feel more sensual and luxurious than marble. To some people, concrete is still concrete, no matter how refined its finish, so you have to give Macklowe some credit for not pandering to the lowest common denominator of moneyed taste. Macklowe’s own apartment, in the Plaza, was designed by the late Charles Gwathmey, who did a great deal to shape the developer’s taste and gave him an obsession for detail that is more characteristic of an architect than a profit-driven builder. In the case of 432 Park, Macklowe seems not to have cut any corners; his philosophy has been to spend as much as it takes and figure he’ll get it back by charging sky-high prices, like the $74.5 million he is asking for the full-floor apartment on the 87th floor, or the $30.75 million he wants for a three-bedroom apartment down on the 64th floor."

....You are of course entitled to contradict Paul Goldberger but i highly doubt he even heard about Skyscrapercity.
However,i guess your prominence will allow you to alert the public opinion...

erbse liked this post

Last edited by BLACK DAHLIA; February 10th, 2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #17487
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Thank you so much for being so devoted to New York but,despite what you may think about the US,we have a city planing and numerous keen people who care about our cities.No need for a Don Quixote as there is no good reason to be concerned.
I invite you when you have a chance to read one of the foremost architecture critic,the world renowned Paul Goldberger(Vanity Fair,NY Times)

"Despite the garishness of One57’s exterior, I’m not ready to write off the entire super-thin, super-tall building type as incompatible with serious architecture. Viñoly’s 432 Park, on the outside, is as sophisticated as One57 is glitzy. Its façade is a flat, minimalist grid of smoothly finished concrete. As one looks at the building it’s hard not to think of Tadao Ando, the Japanese architect who is famous for making concrete feel more sensual and luxurious than marble. To some people, concrete is still concrete, no matter how refined its finish, so you have to give Macklowe some credit for not pandering to the lowest common denominator of moneyed taste. Macklowe’s own apartment, in the Plaza, was designed by the late Charles Gwathmey, who did a great deal to shape the developer’s taste and gave him an obsession for detail that is more characteristic of an architect than a profit-driven builder. In the case of 432 Park, Macklowe seems not to have cut any corners; his philosophy has been to spend as much as it takes and figure he’ll get it back by charging sky-high prices, like the $74.5 million he is asking for the full-floor apartment on the 87th floor, or the $30.75 million he wants for a three-bedroom apartment down on the 64th floor."
Out of curiosity, I'd love to hear your interpretation of Mr. Goldberger's comments there. What does that paragraph say that's inspiring you so?
Old February 10th, 2016, 04:57 PM   #17488
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

I can not read Erbse's numerous posts for you my friend...
Old February 10th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #17489
erbse
LIBERTINED

^ He can by himself, of course. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/search...rchid=22947757

Wow, I didn't realise I've been posting 86 times in this thread. As you can see, this thing really bugs me badly.

BLACK DAHLIA liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 08:34 PM   #17490
Architecture lover

I adore the design. I don't think it is an architect egoistic dream. Here's why I like it, first of all it has beautiful windows, the dimensions are great, the glass is nice, not too reflective although we still can't see how the windows will look like since there still seems to be covering on some of them (from the inside), but I guess we are very close to the finished look (since most of them don't have covering anymore).Then the mechanical floors are supposed to give a little bit of floating look on every section of the tower. At the end I think the concrete looks very nice (when you see the tower from distance it doesn't even look like concrete, but rather some white covering). From street level the concrete looks the best in my opinion, because you do realize they've used concrete for the facade. And that's it, once again when some of the other towers join (especially the Steinway Tower), it will probably look much more balanced with its surroundings.

hunser, bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by Architecture lover; February 10th, 2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:08 PM   #17491
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
I can not read Erbse's numerous posts for you my friend...
I was asking for your interpretation of this:

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #17492
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31712

AO3-4575.jpg by Alejandro Ortiz III, on Flickr

TallestKidOnTheBlock, BartK87, McSky liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 09:50 PM   #17493
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

NY-NJ Triangle Summit-19.jpg by Tau Kappa Epsilon, on Flickr

mrsmartman, BartK87 liked this post
Old February 10th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #17494
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=GunnerJacket;130628337]I was asking for your interpretation...

Lol!.Chill out!..you remind me of Dr. Crawford my Professor of Finance at Pepperdine!
It's not about interpretation but UNDERSTANDING!!
...I'm gonna pray for you my friend.
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #17495
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Ah yes. Foolish me looking for an architectural discussion here.

Right. Carry on then.

erbse liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:19 PM   #17496
Architecture lover

You can discuss the architectural features with me then, at least I explained why i like the design in my previous post and why I think there is much more that just a plain box made from concrete that reportedly looks unfinished.
Old February 11th, 2016, 01:19 AM   #17497
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

I do not get all the fuss about the exposed concrete. To me it looks great. If you did not know and see this building you would never guess it has exposed concrete. The finish is almost white, and without any paint even!

MarshallKnight, sali_haci liked this post
Old February 11th, 2016, 04:27 PM   #17498
tinyslam

Likes (Received): 893

To me the exterior is a beautiful balance of glass and concrete. It is not a glass box, but the large windows still give it a glassy feel. Plus it's so freakin tall. I tried to replicate it in minecraft and I could only build one of the floating sections before I hit the height limit.
tinyslam está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #17499
Uaarkson
Sheet Metal Sketcher

Likes (Received): 1028

You idiots really need to wait for the orange netting and blue plastic to come off.

BLACK DAHLIA, BrooklynFlyGuy liked this post
Uaarkson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2016, 08:38 PM   #17500
jhalsey166

Likes (Received): 10

I think the real issue of the debate over this tower is that the two sides seem to be arguing under different pretenses. One side hates the minimalist, soaring structure because of what it represents: the super wealthy towering over the world. The other side likes tall buildings, and in the future these will be the next frontier now that office buildings have shifted towards boxier buildings that never seem to peak much beyond 1k ft. This tower has more posts than any other going up in New York, even though it's exterior has long been finished. Why? Because the Mainstream Media hates it, and thus it stands to all of us as a focal point of contention.

JuanPaulo liked this post
jhalsey166 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall