daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #17501
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

..Was at the museum of modern art in Fort Worth couple days ago.

Tadao Ando is such a genius!..minimalism is the ultimate architecture and you can see there the filiation of Vinoly's design!
432 is one of NY's most accomplished Masterpiece.

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #17502
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31759

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey166 View Post
I think the real issue of the debate over this tower is that the two sides seem to be arguing under different pretenses. One side hates the minimalist, soaring structure because of what it represents: the super wealthy towering over the world. The other side likes tall buildings, and in the future these will be the next frontier now that office buildings have shifted towards boxier buildings that never seem to peak much beyond 1k ft. This tower has more posts than any other going up in New York, even though it's exterior has long been finished. Why? Because the Mainstream Media hates it, and thus it stands to all of us as a focal point of contention.
I wonder if this tower would be hated as much if it was an office buiding instead of a summer retreat for the 1% . I personally celebrate this tower for its architectural and engineering achievement. I care less if it sits empty most of the year or whether they turn it into a homeless shelter.
Old February 12th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #17503
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

I wouldn't like to be misunderstood, just because I like the design and the realization, doesn't mean I support oligarchy.

Uaarkson, Swiddle liked this post
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #17504
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalsey166 View Post
I think the real issue of the debate over this tower is that the two sides seem to be arguing under different pretenses. One side hates the minimalist, soaring structure because of what it represents: the super wealthy towering over the world. The other side likes tall buildings, and in the future these will be the next frontier now that office buildings have shifted towards boxier buildings that never seem to peak much beyond 1k ft. This tower has more posts than any other going up in New York, even though it's exterior has long been finished. Why? Because the Mainstream Media hates it, and thus it stands to all of us as a focal point of contention.
Personally I think you're assumption is off. Maybe some feel that way but not I.

I think the exterior is simply too mechanical and lacking human element, and I'm particularly turned off by the very blunt manner in which it rises to a point and then stops, with no discerning design element defining the top of the tower. As if it was arbitrarily cut off at some point. I could care less about the use, and if anything I've said time and again this building will excel in it's role as a haven for its residents; The interiors look very beautiful and no doubt the views outward are stunning. The architect did a wonderful job meeting the needs of the customer.

As a footnote on the skyline and in the public realm, however, it's so cold and devoid of human interest to me that I find the view of it from afar to be disappointing. Yes, I'm sure up close it's spectacular and I do appreciate the quality of the work intended, but for something that will stake a prominent place in views of the city the exterior of this building is as bland as a simple glass box to me.

The designer has no obligation to me in this regard, but similarly I've no obligation to go "Oooooh!" at every high rise. And if others like it then I hope they enjoy it, because that's perfectly fine. Such is art.

Cheers.

Atlantropa, erbse liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #17505
punchydj

Likes (Received): 279

Hi guys!

There is the progress during the month of January.

Thank you!!!
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #17506
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

New York 3rd Avenue & 81st Street by Jack Bricker, on Flickr
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 02:53 AM   #17507
BEE2

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchydj View Post
Hi guys!

There is the progress during the month of January.

Thank you!!!

I have to say, it is not a successful because of its plain design and disrespect to the environment.
BEE2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 03:28 AM   #17508
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
I wonder if this tower would be hated as much if it was an office buiding instead of a summer retreat for the 1% .
I really doubt this building is hated because is "a summer retreat for the 1%" - on this site at least

I'm sure most people are just genuinely disappointed with the design of the building...

Let's get serious, except it's height, this building does not have much going for it. If this building would be 182 m (the height of Hearst Tower) no one would even notice it... while Hearst Tower, even at 597 ft is a more or less famous building because of it's design.

SMCYB, LFXDN, AnOldBlackMarble liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 05:57 PM   #17509
seb.nl

Likes (Received): 1277

Had the Eiffel tower been one third it's size most of us probably wouldn't know it, but it isn't.
seb.nl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #17510
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

[QUOTE=luci203;130682931]I really doubt this building is hated because is "a summer retreat for the 1%" - on this site at least

I'm sure most people are just genuinely disappointed with the design of the building...

Let's get serious, except it's height, this building does not have much going for it. If this building would be 182 m (the height of Hearst Tower) no one would even notice it... while Hearst Tower, even at 597 ft is a more or less famous building because of it's design.

No but....SERIOUSLY....who told you most people where disappointed???
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #17511
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

To me if fits right in:

Midtown by Angel Jimenez, on Flickr

SMCYB, McSky, Eddie55, Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #17512
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Yes it's all about its height.

I'd suggest that, ironically, it's its height that engenders the disappointment since we expect a building of that height to impress us in other ways else it seems almost a waste of effort.

So I agree that if it were a much shorter building it would simply dissapear into the crowd and would hardly rate a mention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I really doubt this building is hated because is "a summer retreat for the 1%" - on this site at least

SMCYB liked this post
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #17513
francais22

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post

Design isn't architecture
francais22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #17514
goodybear

Likes (Received): 690

I quite like this tower, but maybe it would have been better to have either reflective windows or reflective cladding instead of concrete. The effect of the reflective windows of 4 wtc is amazing, maybe a similar effect would make this tower more attractive.
goodybear no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 10:45 PM   #17515
Radio Raheem
Fight the power!

Likes (Received): 149

NEW YORK | 432 Park Ave | 426m | 1396ft | 85 fl | Com

Completed????
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #17516
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Not until the orange netting comes off the mechanical floors lol
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #17517
dendenden

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanPaulo View Post
To me if fits right in:

Midtown by Angel Jimenez, on Flickr
Agreed Juan, and I love that it marks the beginning of the new supertalls

JuanPaulo liked this post
dendenden no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #17518
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodybear View Post
I quite like this tower, but maybe it would have been better to have either reflective windows or reflective cladding instead of concrete. The effect of the reflective windows of 4 wtc is amazing, maybe a similar effect would make this tower more attractive.
It is wonderful that this tower isn't just another glass box. Glass boxes are ruining the skyline and streetscape of many cities. One thing that NYC has going for it is a high percentage of buildings with facades made of stone, steel and brick. High quality concrete adds to that mix nicely. Cities of all glass are sterile and lifeless. I welcome the concrete of 432 and would be happy to see more buildings of the same material.
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #17519
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57975

GunnerJacket, your post genuinely sums up my opinion.

I actually appreciate minimalism where it has a place. But I don't regard this tower to be successful minimalism, due to failing proportions and a lack of interesting design elements. All it got going for it is height, as mentioned several times. Probably now everything is said, but I will mention again I hope this isn't taken as an example by other developers to follow. The upcoming super-slim supertall residential towers of Manhattan look much more promising, anyway.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #17520
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1286

I would love to read what do you consider under successful minimalism and of course in what way are the proportions failing and the most interesting part what should be considered an interesting design element on a minimalist building (the mechanical floors are not interesting enough?) I think minimalism is about clean lines, functionality and being unobtrusive.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall