daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 20th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #17581
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochu View Post
Speaking of some users: do you know what's the real problem? There are people who simply cannot accept the fact, that someone might don't like this building. I can name literally a hundred beautiful (mostly old) buildings in NYC that I love and it's acknowledged by everyone. Once I write something less flattering about one building out of many, I will always hear that I know nothing about architecture, I am blind and I can't see the true beauty/genius/whatever.

But I like this thread as a whole anyway.
Everyone has the right to dislike the building and express their opinion in a constructive way while using lots of arguments. That wasn't the case over here. All that we read over here was that if half of the building is hidden by the clouds it will probably look much better. Oh well I guess the user that said that was probably just joking.

Last edited by Architecture lover; February 20th, 2016 at 02:25 PM.
Architecture lover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #17582
lFurqanl
Pro User

Likes (Received): 479

Lock This Thread Because It Is Finished.
lFurqanl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #17583
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFurqanl View Post
No.
And: No.

Starohrabě, SMCYB, bodegavendetta liked this post
Crowns n' Spires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #17584
McSky

Likes (Received): 1875

Quote:
Originally Posted by lFurqanl View Post
It's taken years to get to this point, so no need to rush the archiving of the thread. The windows have to be peeled, the orange netting removed, all the drums lit, and the interior finished. Best to leave the thread open to add views of the final form of the building, and articles about the building coming to life.

SMCYB liked this post
McSky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #17585
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5754

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
Lol!! Thank God to be an alien as you not gonna have to live with it!
New york is the Meca of architecture,a laboratory where the foremost architects invent daily the city of tomorrow.
In Europ you rebuilt the past;the US,with Asia,build the future..
With all due respect you should focus on what is going on in Mecklenbourg or Dresden as it seems that you are quite fascinated by the rebuilding of pre war euro trash.
Moreover,as things evolve,most of the haters from yesterday are probably the lovers from tomorrow!
You are entitled to dislike and criticise 432!..just try to be less arrogant and sectarian as your lack of knowledge about NY and more generally architecture is not a special privilege!
Oh the irony! Classic European architecture, the foundation of all MODERN architecture, is "euro trash" but "you're the ignorant and arrogant one because you don't like my box."

Seriously tho. I like 432 Park, not because it is beautiful or inspiring or amazing, because it is none of those things. What it is---is an extremely tall and skinny building. It's a first of it's kind. It has technical merit for the engineering behind it, but architecturally it is absolutely nothing. It is innovative form an engineering and conceptual point ONLY, not architecturally. Architecturally, it could have been a million times better. This is REALITY. I accept this reality, and that is why I like it. Not every building has to be an architectural icon, ideally sure, but I'll take whatever I can get, and in this case, I'm getting a technically unique and interesting structure that will set a new standard for future towers to come.

Titan Man, SMCYB, Crowns n' Spires, lsg97 liked this post
AnOldBlackMarble no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 08:53 PM   #17586
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
Oh the irony! Classic European architecture, the foundation of all MODERN architecture, is "euro trash" but "you're the ignorant and arrogant one because you don't like my box."

Seriously tho. I like 432 Park, not because it is beautiful or inspiring or amazing, because it is none of those things. What it is---is an extremely tall and skinny building. It's a first of it's kind. It has technical merit for the engineering behind it, but architecturally it is absolutely nothing. It is innovative form an engineering and conceptual point ONLY, not architecturally. Architecturally, it could have been a million times better. This is REALITY. I accept this reality, and that is why I like it. Not every building has to be an architectural icon, ideally sure, but I'll take whatever I can get, and in this case, I'm getting a technically unique and interesting structure that will set a new standard for future towers to come.

LOL!!Good that ridicule never killed anyone!!!
"This is REALITY. I accept this reality"...Happy to know that you accept YOUR reality!
Also,as your are from L A try to become enlightened and take an architecture tour:we have in particular the best about modern individual homes!
BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2016, 09:47 PM   #17587
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

This afternoon:

Old February 20th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #17588
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31677

nyc08 by Peter Barvoets, on Flickr
Old February 20th, 2016, 11:47 PM   #17589
57th&1st

Likes (Received): 2298

Here's a view of the retail space from the 57th Street sidewalk - hard to tell from this pic just how immense this space really is (for a sense of scale, those scissor lifts are over 6 feet tall)...:

Old February 21st, 2016, 12:01 AM   #17590
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

So, these are the columns that carry the tower, they are massive compared to these lifts.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, kony liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 02:27 PM   #17591
Architecture lover

Likes (Received): 1284

Quote:

Seriously tho. I like 432 Park, not because it is beautiful or inspiring or amazing, because it is none of those things. What it is---is an extremely tall and skinny building. It's a first of it's kind. It has technical merit for the engineering behind it, but architecturally it is absolutely nothing. It is innovative form an engineering and conceptual point ONLY, not architecturally. Architecturally, it could have been a million times better. This is REALITY.
It might not be inspiring or amazing for you, but it surely is for someone else. You can't claim the building as architectural nothing, because a building doesn't need to have ornamentation or whatever just for it to be architectural something. I can't really teach people to value minimalist, but it does have an artistic value, a building doesn't have to look like versailles to look beautiful. But since I am tired of this conversation and tired of proving something that plenty of people obviously can't realize, I think it's enough of me for this thread.
Old February 21st, 2016, 02:50 PM   #17592
lsg97

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57th&1st View Post
This afternoon:

These open drum floors could make an incredible setting for some action movie - high above New York, basically open, windy and with a ceiling height dwarfing everyone on them

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
lsg97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:31 PM   #17593
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

What about the rooftop edge.

tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:38 PM   #17594
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Lets face the fact it adds up to the NY decor and will probably too in any moovie.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 05:52 PM   #17595
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:

Architecture is so much more than ornamentations or putting a silly shiny hat on a tower. This building is an incredibly clear and bold architectural statement.
Very distinct super minimal style but - at least in my opinion - way stronger than all these generic curtain wall towers all around the city with some random facade details and massing to make them a little less dull. It dares to stay pure and minimal down to the very last detail.
Your 'architecturally nothing' comment makes zero sense.
Old February 21st, 2016, 08:53 PM   #17596
Hudson11
Stuck on the Cross Bronx

Likes (Received): 22489

IMG_8028 by Peter Rennhack, on Flickr
Hudson11 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2016, 09:59 PM   #17597
JuanPaulo
Guayaquil Vive Por Ti!

Likes (Received): 31677

Central Park Lake after sundown by Noel Y. C., on Flickr

George Washington Bridge by RyanKirschnerImages, on Flickr

AlexDemens, MichalBDG, McSky, Eddie55, hunser and 6 others liked this post
JuanPaulo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:37 AM   #17598
Riley1066

Likes (Received): 517

I wonder if they will tweak the upper mechanical floors' lighting so that it more accurately mimics occupied apartment lighting.

Riley1066 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 01:36 PM   #17599
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

There has been a fair amount of discussion involving the word minimalist. This is somewhat baffling. To me it seems far more detailed than almost all of the glass towers being built. There is texture and multiple materials. The drum floors are incredibly distinct and will visually define the building, especially at night.

Bye Tom, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 03:39 PM   #17600
DeaconG
Registered Kibitzer

Likes (Received): 77

432PA gets it's props from CNN.com...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/22/archit...ork/index.html
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

DeaconG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags