daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2016, 02:35 AM   #17761
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3585

Quote:
Originally Posted by podciag View Post
something I have wanted to do ever since joining ssc - an update on a nyc building. obviously, it had to be 432 park av. here goes, my two pictures, will post more when back home
Nice shots, dude! I hope you don't mind me doodling with one of them (say the word and I'll delete) but your shot from the ESB really got me thinking...

The luxury market's starting to cool and Macklowe was shrewd enough to catch the wave at just the right time. So while everyone else is playing catch-up, if I were in their shoes, I'd already be gearing up for the next cycle some are predicting for 2020 and beyond. Specifically, given 432 Park's success, I'd be trying to snap up 555 Madison or another catty-corner parcel in order to build a twin:

Atlantropa, podciag, bodegavendetta liked this post

Last edited by MarshallKnight; May 7th, 2016 at 06:13 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2016, 03:15 AM   #17762
Ghostface79

Likes (Received): 4604

I'm still wondering why this thread has been archived, last time I checked the building's mechanical floors were still being worked on and the courtyard is still under construction.

But anyway, fun facts about this building... Vinoly seems to have some issues with execution.

From the Post article

Developer says ‘***** envy’ is fueling city’s tower obsession
http://nypost.com/2016/05/08/archite...ica-is-flawed/

Quote:
It has a couple of screw-ups,” the Uruguayan-born New York architect said during a talk hosted by the Douglas Elliman brokerage inside the building last week.

Speaking to The Post afterward, he added, “The first has to do with the windows.”

The 96-story, 1,396-square-inch tower at Park Avenue and East 57th Street has six 100-square-foot windows on every side of every floor. But on the inside, the windows are thickly framed, awkwardly sucking up interior space.

“That was Harry’s idea,” Viñoly, 71, said, referring to the developer, Harry Macklowe.
A source familiar with the tower’s construction confirmed that the window framing was Macklowe’s idea.
Harry wanted the windows framed in,” the source said. “But it takes up space. His idea was that the windows showcase picture-perfect views of Central Park, and Harry wanted all the windows framed and recessed.”

Many people who have bought at the building have already removed the frames.
The second flaw, according to Viñoly, is “the interior design and layout.”

432 Park’s interiors were handled by Deborah Berke Partners. Its founder, Deborah Berke, is the new dean at the Yale School of Architecture.

For example, Viñoly said he objects to where the bathrooms are located, at the front of the units in many cases.
And some cat fight between developers...
Quote:
And Macklowe has said there is an amount of “***** envy” driving the city’s new crop of supertall towers.
And architects...
Quote:
Viñoly didn’t just diss his own building at the Elliman Talks event. He had harsh words for Pritzker Prize-winning architect Christian de Portzamparc, who designed One57, at 157 W. 57th St., which has been called New York’s first “billionaires’ building.”

“What is the name of that building by that French guy? It would have been better without all that glass. I think it is an absolutely horrendous building,” Viñoly said.
Just hilarious.
Old May 9th, 2016, 09:29 AM   #17763
podciag

Likes (Received): 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Nice shots, dude! I hope you don't mind me doodling with one of them (say the word and I'll delete) but your shot from the ESB really got me thinking...

(...)
build a twin
No problem at all, mate, and you're making a good point, however, the one thing I could point out afer my visit to Manhattan is that the distances between some of the buildings are really, really small. If I'd be paying millions of dollars for a Manhattan apartment, I wouldn't want to have the view obstructed by another building seating several metres away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower View Post
How was it to see the building in real life?
If you think it looks good on the phots, in person 432 Park Ave is absolutely stunning. It is the simplicity that strikes the most, but perhaps not in the way you think. Bear with me here. In my opinion, the building is so imposing mainly because of the height and its simple, unobstructed shape - should it have any antennas, balconies, loggies, etc - it'd be way over the top, way too much to handle for a bystander. As it is, you're amazed by the height and there is nothing to distract you.
I'd love to be able to put it simple, but it's tough for an engineer to explain the feelings you get...
A true Manhattan Great. With a capital G for a reason.

ThatOneGuy liked this post
podciag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:14 PM   #17764
MarshallKnight

Quote:
No problem at all, mate, and you're making a good point, however, the one thing I could point out afer my visit to Manhattan is that the distances between some of the buildings are really, really small. If I'd be paying millions of dollars for a Manhattan apartment, I wouldn't want to have the view obstructed by another building seating several metres away.
Yeah, you're not wrong, although that's why I think a catty-corner site is optimal (and the reason I thought 555 Madison was an ideal choice).

With two sites corner-on-corner from each other, you preserve views in nearly all directions, only obscuring the NE-SW view corridor. So the Southern tower would maybe not get the perfect view up Park Avenue or to LIC, and the Northern tower wouldn't get a great view towards the Hudson yards...

But the most important "money shot" views would be preserved for both towers:

sgollis, podciag, Swiddle liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 08:23 PM   #17765
podciag

On another note after seeing your top view - that would look worryingly close to the WTC twins, but if any city is ready to "break the curse", for a lack of a better phrase, it's NYC.

Another couple of photos taken early May. Again, these might not be as good as some of the photography in this topic, but I'm going to post them regardless, as this means so, so much to me. Yes, I'm repeating myself at this point.

Old May 10th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #17766
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Looks great in those last shots!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 10:13 PM   #17767
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5179

I would bath forever with this view

AAndreAA liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:25 AM   #17768
Crowns n' Spires
Archivar

Likes (Received): 756

Oh. Hey, who u in my bathroom, while I'm the tub?

https://www.facebook.com/dboxcreativ...type=3&theater

Ch.W, Swiddle liked this post

Last edited by Crowns n' Spires; May 11th, 2016 at 03:30 AM.
Crowns n' Spires no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:08 AM   #17769
bodegavendetta
everywhere like such as

Likes (Received): 2651

My face when someone says this building ruins the NY skyline.

MarshallKnight, Zaz965 liked this post
bodegavendetta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #17770
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 16991

Taken on Monday - 5/9/16

Long Island City High Rise & Skyscraper Boom from a Train
by Corey Best, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section

Swiddle liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #17771
schostabur

Likes (Received): 39

80s sanitary
https://picload.org/view/rgoapili/46...t6593.jpg.html
https://picload.org/view/rgoappgg/43...ave-4.jpg.html
schostabur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 08:51 PM   #17772
MarshallKnight

Quote:
On another note after seeing your top view - that would look worryingly close to the WTC twins, but if any city is ready to "break the curse", for a lack of a better phrase, it's NYC.
That was sort of the idea. The proportions of 432 Park remind me of the Twin Towers; I think it's almost exactly 1/4 the footprint of one of them, at the same height. And even with the CPS towers rising a few blocks away, 432 is still going to be pretty lonely on that park of the skyline. So pairing 432 with a twin feels very natural to me, maybe just because the silhouette of those towering, off-set boxes is forever seared into my mind.

Plus I've yet to see a developer actually build a set of super-slender, "bamboo shoot" twins, although I think it would be truly iconic. The closest we've gotten was the Renzo Piano proposal for San Francisco in the mid-aughts that got scrapped for 50 First...

Of course anything resembling the WTC is going to carry emotional baggage. The fact is, 432 Park represents a whole new (top-heavy) economic paradigm in America compared to what the Twins represented, so co-opting that iconography for the ultra-rich could make people feel icky. On the other hand though, these skinny-scrapers also represent a huge leap in technological/engineering innovation, which Americans adore and which the Twins also represented.

Anyway it's not like anyone is proposing it -- but since this thread is archived now, it seems like the place for meaningless speculation and thought experiments. All I know is, I think I would like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodegavendetta View Post
My face when someone says this building ruins the NY skyline.
Oh my. *fans self*

bodegavendetta liked this post
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #17773
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

Quote:
Yeah, sadly that is true.But that kind of idea with twin towers offset from each other is done quite a lot actually.
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:52 AM   #17774
jeremix

When i first saw the renders for this tower i was shocked by it's thinness. Now the other towers juist look fat.

Shaddorry liked this post
jeremix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:17 AM   #17775
Ch.W

I think this building looks better when viewed from street level. Like some pics above. I won't say it ruins the skyline, but its effect to make other buildings look fat is a challange for the eyes. Anyway It's a great new icon for New York

Last edited by Ch.W; May 12th, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:02 PM   #17776
podciag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
I won't say it ruins the skyline, but its effect to make other buildings look fat is a challange for the eyes.
Isn't that the whole point of Manhattan? Over 100 years of development through every style, material, shape and height - it's all there. Nothing can ruin it, but anything can enhance it, as shown by the addition of 432 Park Ave.

Ch.W liked this post
podciag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #17777
Ch.W

Agree. I think it's some kind of get used to it too.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:00 PM   #17778
schostabur

to build something twice is nonsense. theres no architect with some self esteem who would do that.
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #17779
Amecurty

Likes (Received): 241

Ouch Minoru Yamasaki or César Pelli.. i guess your twin projects were not the main reason for your notoriety.. only signs of your low self esteem
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM   #17780
schostabur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amecurty View Post
Ouch Minoru Yamasaki or César Pelli.. i guess your twin projects were not the main reason for your notoriety.. only signs of your low self esteem
..signs of a lack of imagination. at least one has to vary the size

Tags
new york city, new york project, park avenue, supertall